My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To tell you about a nice idea that’s easy to do? (Food bank related)

102 replies

autumnnightsaredrawingin · 22/11/2019 21:59

For those of you who donate to food banks. I was talking to someone today who said that if anyone is donating now, a really lovely thing to do is to include a couple of chocolate advent calendars.

It means they can include them in boxes for families with young children who would otherwise have no calendar. I realise they’re not too environmentally friendly with the plastic, but I think the idea of giving some kids who have a pretty tough time a little bit of happiness is a good thing.

So, not really an AIBU but something to consider if you are about to donate to a food bank. Similarly, a nice tin of Christmas biscuits or chocolates will also be welcome.

OP posts:
childrenandhomeless · 24/11/2019 13:19

Thick wool jumpers, again. Blankets.
Good rain coats. Children and adults.

Charity shops are no longer cheap for those in need. Charity shops are worked by people cherry picking and reselling, driving prices up. In the years we've been in this situation cost of a warm jumper has gone from a few pounds to ten or more. Charity shops used to be for those in need and prices reflected that they now let down those in most need.

Eating well, staying warm.

cannycat20 · 25/11/2019 19:47

@childrenandhomeless I am so sad to hear that; we live in a town with a real mix of folk from all income levels and backgrounds, and there are several charity shops, mainly local charities, that have £1 rails; there's one whole charity shop where everything is £1 and they all sometimes do really good "bundling" options - the £1 shop was recently doing buy two, get one free on ladies' trousers and fleeces.

Then at the opposite end of the scale we have a couple of the national charity shop chains that consistently overcharge for the most ridiculous items, so I hear you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.