To accept this job (universal credit)
Tenancy101 · 22/11/2019 19:44
I've namechanged so much to get impartial advice.
So much that I can't even be bothered to see what threads I've posted under each namechange.
Anyway, I'm on UC (Intensive), have been for 5 weeks or so.
This was never going to be a long term thing. DP and I just happened to have work issues at the same time, hence the unemployment for both of us.
We applied for UC, all good.
Within 2 weeks I have been offered 2 good positions.
Job 1 is a provisional offer within this Civil Service (currently undergoing pre-employment checks.) Pay is £28k, full time, Mon-Fri. Pre-Employment checks can take weeks/months.
Job 2 is working with vulnerable, homeless (currently housed) people. Pay is 21k. Full time, various shifts over the full week. This position is due to start on Monday.
As I'm on UC, I'm expected to take Job 2 which is fair enough...
However, DP, when he finds a position, will be paid over £50k. There is no doubt about this at all.
If I accept Job 2, starting Monday. I will have to quit once my checks for Job 1 come through and all has been approved. Again, this could take weeks or months.
I'm worried about taking a position in direct contact with vulnerable people knowing I'm likely to leave in a few weeks.
I've always worked with vulnerable people in my line of work.
My heart says it's wrong to start job 2 because vulnerable people need a constant person in their life. Although, while I'm there, I'm certain I would have a positive impact, for however long.
My head says wait for Job 1, and not to bond with vulnerable people.
We, as a family, have no money for Christmas, I don't know what to do.
Lifeisabeach09 · 22/11/2019 20:03
Hold out for job 1 if you can afford to.
Definitely not fair to start job 2 then to quit 1-2 months later--the organisation won't appreciate it nor will your vulnerable clients.
Don't tell UC about job 2 off. They will likely expect you to start the job (so they can tick their boxes) even though you are going through the employment checks for another job.
Alm1986 · 22/11/2019 20:09
How long the security checks take for job 1 will depend on the department. In our organisation we're currently getting SC clearance checks back in 2-3 weeks so hopefully you won't be waiting months.
Some departments do seem much slower than others though.
Can you be upfront with job 2? Then if they withdraw the offer you can wait out for job 1, or if they're understanding, they've taken you on with a clear picture.
unlimiteddilutingjuice · 22/11/2019 20:13
I once had to claim benefits (JSA rather than UC) while waiting for a DBS to come through. I explained the situation to the advisor and said "I work in a very small sector and I don't want to get a reputation for accepting jobs and then leaving soon after. If its OK with you, I will seek supermarket and warehouse work to see me through until I can start the job"
The guy was understanding about it.
I also got my MP on the case about the delay to the DBS and that seemed to move things on a little quicker.
In your situation I would accept job 1, dont mention your success with job 2 and continue to "look for work" while you wait for an opportunity to start.
Also: Congratulations on both offers!
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.