Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU - Umbrellas and temporary covered walkways

23 replies

luhvinia · 22/11/2019 10:34

I'm not sure what the actual name of these walkways is so have included an image for reference. When walking through them do you close your umbrella? I seem o be the only person in London who doesn't. I'll only close it if I'm going to whack someone with it. I often see people (by walking behind) close their umbrella in these walkways for seemingly no reason. Am I being incredibly rude?

Yes, this is banal.

AIBU - Umbrellas and temporary covered walkways
OP posts:
ItsNovemberNotChristmas · 22/11/2019 10:41

I don't understand anyone who wouldn't close their umbrella

Dinosforall · 22/11/2019 10:42

No I don't because you're more likely to poke someone in the eye taking it down and you'll be through it in a sec anyway.

TrixieFranklin · 22/11/2019 10:43

I don't think I would

thetardis · 22/11/2019 10:48

you shouldn't be issued an umbrella if you're incapable of folding it without endangering other pedestrians :D

in an enclosed space umbrellas are much harder to avoid, esp with low ceilings as in pic above.

i conjecture that the majority of non-folders are short arses.

AdobeWanKenobi · 22/11/2019 11:03

I don't think it's a question any of us can accurately answer given the size of walkway and umbrella will be different in every scenario.

If it's 2 person width and high then surely the same as pavement walking and you wouldn't bother. One person then probably etc

thetardis · 22/11/2019 11:07

i think we can all accurately answer wrt the photo posted. i notice places either side to step out of the flow of foot traffic in order to fold a brolly. no excuses for umbrella up there.

thetardis · 22/11/2019 11:08

walking with brolly up around the right hand side looks like another possibility for those without brolly folding training :)

SinglePringle · 22/11/2019 11:10

That piece of Oxford St / TCR makes me cry and weep and rage without umbrellas.

SinglePringle · 22/11/2019 11:11

Oh. On second look, don’t know that it is!

melj1213 · 22/11/2019 11:35

Depends entirely on the context. How wide is it? How long does it extend? How busy is it? Is it fully enclosed (with support rails between the scaffolding poles so you cant step through them or advertising boards blocking it in) or open scaffolding?

If it's a short, wide covered area and its quiet then of course I wont put my brolly down as it would take longer to put it down/reopen than to just walk through.

If it is a longer, narrower walkway and its busy or it is fully enclosed, so no way to hold the brolly out of the way, then I would put it down.

Dinosforall · 22/11/2019 13:29

@thetardis I am 5'6" Grin so yes pretty short for the City. The walkways around Bishopsgate (endless building works) and similar are bedlam during the rush hour.

onalongsabbatical · 22/11/2019 13:49

Umbrellas are the devil's work. I'd rather get wet than have to control a fricking umbrella.

ShinyGiratina · 22/11/2019 13:54

Umbrellas are awful. When it's the right kind of rain, it's normally too windy for them. Plus I'm short so they make me look like a toadstool Grin I can't share with a tall person as the rain blows under either!

I wouldn't use an umbrella under a covered walkway Wink

EBearhug · 22/11/2019 13:56

Umbrellas are unreasonable full stop in crowded places.

Ginfordinner · 22/11/2019 14:00

I dislike umbrellas. Just wear a coat with a hood.

Gobbychops · 22/11/2019 14:50

My biggest annoyance is people walking under cover with their umbrellas up, poking peoples eyes out as they go ,while those without umbrellas are forced out to walk in the rain!

Dict · 22/11/2019 15:00

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iklboo · 22/11/2019 15:10

I hate umbrellas. I hate people who carry golf umbrellas under their arms like swagger sticks then stop dead in front of you impaling you on the spike.

ReceptacleForTheRespectable · 22/11/2019 15:27

i conjecture that the majority of non-folders are short arses

So true!

YABU OP. That is a narrow passage so you need to fold the brolly

icouldcareless · 22/11/2019 19:12

I loathe umbrellas - if you poked me in the eye with yours in such a tight space WHICH IS ACTUALLY COVERED SO IT ISN'T EVEN BLOODY RAINING then I would probably be compelled to say some choice words using my "outside voice".

theEnglishInPatient · 22/11/2019 19:28

I can't stand umbrellas, I don't have one.

queenMab99 · 22/11/2019 19:32

An umbrella is a device to stop rain falling on your head, in a covered walkway there is no need to have an umbrella raised, there is also a possibility in a confined space, that your unnecessary device will poke someone's eye out. Therefore it is unreasonable to have a raised umbrella in a covered walkway.

ncncncncncncncnc · 22/11/2019 19:36

Yes definitely close them
Two umbrellas or more walking under those is a nightmare

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.