My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to ask for your favourite family traditions?

9 replies

holidayhelpp · 19/11/2019 23:17

I love the different quirks/habits/traditions different families have.

I know most traditions are born out of the moment, and that’s what makes them special, but I read a post once on here from someone (apologies can’t remember who) that said their favourite moment of the day was when their child was in bed at the end of the day and she’d ask ‘last bits?’ The child would then talk about anything they wanted to that they hadn’t yet had chance to that day, and went to sleep happy and peaceful 😊 the child knew it was coming every night and they’d always have that time with their mum. I thought it was heartwarming and fully intend on stealing it for my own children when they’re older

So AIBU to ask for your family’s little things along these lines?

OP posts:
PomBearWithAnOFRS · 19/11/2019 23:25

Whenever we come through the front door, I say "home again, home again, jiggety jog" and if I don't, one of the family says it for me.
Every year, we go to Ralph's Cross (have a Google, it's beautiful) on or around my late dad's birthday. We scattered his ashes up there (after taking them into the Lion at Blakey also Google for a pint) and we just say hello, we love you, and smile. It's not a sad thing, we remember the good times with love, and reminisce as we drive there and back.
We have other little things, like my Mam's chair is always referred to as the "Orthodox Chair" and her purse is the "Girly Purse" Grin

Dementedswan · 19/11/2019 23:29

As we turn into our street we all say home sweet home. Night time are love you x, love you y, love you x and y. Love you to mammy. Bit Walton's I guess 🤣

Monstermoomin · 19/11/2019 23:33

Just following to see what other people say, as OP has got me curious

holidayhelpp · 20/11/2019 09:56

They’re sweet! Keep them coming Grin

OP posts:
Sunflowersok · 20/11/2019 11:41

We have a gratitude book which we all contribute three things for from our week. my partner always asks the girls things they are grateful for at bed time or when we have had a particularly stressful hour out with them arguing or misbehaving etc. It puts us all in check!

theruffles · 20/11/2019 11:47

Mine are more Christmas related. We had our first baby last year and started a new tradition of going to pick out a decoration which we'll save and give to her for her own tree in the future. We let DD pick the decoration last year (even at 5 months) we went with the one she stared at the most!

We always go and get our tree from the same farm and make a day of it by having a roast lunch in the tea room on-site. We then bring it home, (try not to argue while we get it straight in the holder) and decorate it with a Christmassy film on in the background.

Mammatino · 20/11/2019 11:59

My grandma passed earlier this year (99), mum always used to make Xmas cakes with her when she was very little and same for me. We made ours with my neices at the weekend... It was bloody hard and we laughed at how lucky we are to have electric mixers and all the time savers my Grandma didn't have. It was lots of fun telling the kids they didn't know they were born, which is a year round family tradition. We have a plastic fir tree from the cakes we started to make when I was about 5 (42 now). It was really really lovely.

isthismylifenow · 20/11/2019 12:21

We have a few silly things (its just dc and I) that are really just private jokes. One of them is if I buy the dc something or go out of my way a little bit, cook a meal they asked for, or just that sort of thing, then I will always ask them...........What are you? To which they both always reply.....Spoilt.

So one day dd's friend was here and she asked if I could get them burger king on the way home. So when I got in with it, I just did the usual .......here is the BK, what are you? The friends eyes went as wide as saucers and she replies as quick as a flash.....Grateful. Grin

So now we amended it to What you are?.....Spoilt and grateful.

So silly but its stuck.

We have so many. I think if people overhear i don't know what they must think. Grin

isthismylifenow · 20/11/2019 12:25

That wasn't really tradition though. On Christmas day, every year I get the dc a silly present. Its always something different but always silly.

Ds loves popcorn and makes it in the pot the traditional way. One Christmas I bought him a 2kg bag of seeds. The next year a 1kg bag of salt to put on his popcorn. A 1kg bag of wine gums. This year I will buy a 5l of cold drink as there is never any left. Got dd a massage thing, but its a hammer. But its a duck with one eye. Its hilarious. I think they enjoy those more than the more expensive real presents.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.