Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

30 hours funding

27 replies

Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 13:38

So I'm stuck. I applied and got a job (currently sahm) in october. Haven't started yet though as DBS is taking forever- it's in final stages. My 3 year old is in school nursery, you cant join or change hours mid term so I put him in after oct half term and I rang gov to check there was some leeway.... but its been weeks now and I'm not sure what to do! Wait it out or take him out and risk losing place? Any advice? I will be fulltime and above min wage when I start.

OP posts:
GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 19/11/2019 13:41

Leeway with what? Sorry your post is a little confusing. The start date? There isn’t I’m afraid. Any new applicants will start from January now.

Have you applied on childcare choices for your code for 30 hours? It will be valid from January.

weirdsmell · 19/11/2019 13:51

My 3 year old is in school nursery, you cant join or change hours mid term so I put him in after oct half term and I rang gov to check there was some leeway....

Leeway for what?

but its been weeks now and I'm not sure what to do!

About what?

Wait it out or take him out and risk losing place?

Why would you take him out of a nursery? Why will he lose a place?

Any advice?

Could you possibly start again because you haven't explained what you mean very well at all

Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 13:52

Sorry didnt explain properly. So I have my 30 hour code (was working up until July) and hes doing almost 30 hours but I'm not working yet! As soon as DBS clears I'll start but until then I'm just waiting. But I dont know if I'm eligible to use 30 hrs... is there leeway? If I drop his hours to 15 I'll lose his place and I'm not allowed to change his hours again anyway now...

OP posts:
weirdsmell · 19/11/2019 13:53

So you have 30 hours based on you working but you are not working?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 19/11/2019 13:54

Funding is done by terms.

So you used it in the summer term, yes?

And have you used it again for the Autumn term? I guessing not?

When is the date your code expires and need renewing?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 19/11/2019 13:55

Basically have the nursery been paid your funding? They should have by now or will have sent you a bill.

Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 13:57

Yes. When I rang government agency they said I could start him that week on 30 hours( as it's a school setting and you cant chop and change hours) as long as I was starting work very soon.... but my DBS is taking forever, could be done tomorrow but could take another few weeks.... unsure what to do

OP posts:
Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 13:58

Yes used the code until July school finish. Then not used it until after October half term. Have to reconfirm in feb....

OP posts:
Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 13:59

Had no bill from school

OP posts:
weirdsmell · 19/11/2019 14:00

So the child started 30 hours in October and you have used a code that you are not entitled to use because you are not working?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 19/11/2019 14:00

Which means it was reconfirmed in August, after you finished your job? F

Funding doesn’t work in half terms ( and gov don’t care about nurseries policies about not changing hours!)

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 19/11/2019 14:01

You must also have reconfirmed in November??!

Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 14:02

No I didnt reconfirm it in August as I wasnt working.

OP posts:
popcorndiva · 19/11/2019 14:02

So you are wondering whether they will see it as fraud I am guessing? As you said you are working and they will realise in April that you were not when you get your p60

Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 14:03

No I rang them in October half term and explained the situation. Haven't reconfirmed

OP posts:
GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 19/11/2019 14:03

Ok, your child won’t be funded now until January, nursery will send you a bill for the hours over 15.

Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 14:04

Ok so I need to pull him out of nursery and wait for DBS then relook for another nursery really. Thanks for help.

OP posts:
popcorndiva · 19/11/2019 14:04

Confused about the July bit. As you said you are a sahm? Were you working in July?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 19/11/2019 14:09

Well nursery probably have a 4 week notice period anyway...

mygrandchildrenrock · 19/11/2019 14:09

If you have a 30 hour code, and it's still in date, then you can use 30 hours regardless of your circumstances. However, if your code has expired you won't be eligible.
It's worth logging onto your account and seeing if your code is still valid, if it is the nursery will get 30 hours funding so you have nothing to worry about.

Properbobbins · 19/11/2019 14:12

There’s a grace period exactly for situations like this, we had to use it when my DH was made redundant and took a while to find a new role. I can’t remember exactly how long we were given, just ring HMRC and they will help.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 19/11/2019 14:14

She hasn’t renewed it this term or in the last (at least) three months so it won’t be valid.

Piixxiiee · 19/11/2019 14:17

Mygrandchildrenrock thankyou so much. Just logged on. Code is valid and have 31 days from when I contacted them to start work.

I worked in childcare in a school so stopped over summer hols then didnt work for first half term as daughter had an operation. So last worked I july. Didnt reconfirm as wasnt working. Rang once I had this job to see if I needed new code etc but believed I'd start work before now! The waiting game continues

OP posts:
Marellaspirit · 19/11/2019 14:18

There is a grace period of your circumstances change which should allow you to keep the place to the end of term. The nursery would not be able to claim the funding if you weren't eligible as they have to validate the code.

Passthecherrycoke · 19/11/2019 14:18

If I’m reading this right you’re going to owe the nursery money Anyway and with a months notice period to them which needs to be paid for, you may as well keep him in until you start work?

Personally that’s what I’d do and hoped I’d slipped through the hmrc net for a bit so they wouldn’t ask for repayment until next year

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.