Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Chicken pox vaccine?

46 replies

Vaccineque · 18/11/2019 11:39

Posting here for traffic mainly. So my dc are 6 and 4 and still haven’t had chicken pox. I’m getting to the point now where I think I’m just going to get them vaccinated? Had anyone else gone this route and if so any advice or info!?? Thank you.

OP posts:
HavelockVetinari · 18/11/2019 11:40

Do it! We had DS vaccinated at 13 months, he subsequently didn't get it when it went round nursery a few months later.

Dave234234 · 18/11/2019 11:42

Just do it. Chicken pox can be horrible. Why wouldn't you do it? If someone offered you the choice between a vaccine or being ill which would you chose? I'd go for the vaccine everytime so I chose this for my children.

AnneLovesGilbert · 18/11/2019 11:43

My DD is still too young but the minute she’s eligible she’s getting it. Three of my relatives have had shingles in the last 6 months, one is left with chronic pain. If you’ve never had chicken pox you’ll never get shingles and that’s reason enough.

MustardScreams · 18/11/2019 11:43

I’d definitely do it. Dd is almost 3 and still hasn’t had it. She’s booked in for it in a couple of weeks.

She’ll probably get it next week now I’ve said that Grin

welshweasel · 18/11/2019 11:44

Both mine vaccinated at 9 months

Vaccineque · 18/11/2019 11:45

I have no reasons not to at all.I want to!! How is it given? Arm? Leg? Do they need a look after like the Men b jab??

OP posts:
AnneLovesGilbert · 18/11/2019 11:47

I thought they had to be over a year welshweasel, are you in the U.K.?

Kokapetl · 18/11/2019 11:49

Arm and I don't think there are particularly bad side effects. DC didn't get any anyway and we weren't told to give paracetamol or anything.

Howlovely · 18/11/2019 11:50

We vaccinated our baby against it. It was a no-brainer for us and I can't understand why it's not part of the NHS childhood vaccination programme like it is in other countries. The reason given is that they are worried about an increase in chicken pox in unvaccinated adults but quite frankly that is not my problem. Look after your own health. I think it is quite short-sighted to not have it as part of the routine vaccinations as I think prevention is better than cure. Chicken pox isn't always the mild illness it is made out to be. Also, they have a vaccination programme against shingles but surely the need for this wouldn't be there if every child had the chicken pox vaccine? If you can prevent your child getting quite ill and prevent potential complications from shingles later in life then definitely do it. It's just a bummer the cost of it means not everybody can access it.

Andsoitisjust99 · 18/11/2019 11:52

We did it and it was very quick, no noticeable reaction afterwards at all. It was 100% worth it in my view.

Howlovely · 18/11/2019 11:55

Mine had hers in her leg. She had it at 13 months as there has to be a month in between the routine NHS injections and the chicken pox one. I was informed they have to be over a year too, Anne.
Aftercare is basically like the other injections - sore spot around injection site, grumpiness, potential for fever and rash (it is a live virus). My daughter was good as new afterwards, she reacted worse to the MMR. She's only had the first dose as of yet though so I don't know if reactions at worse after both?

Vaccineque · 18/11/2019 12:04

I meant calpol not “a look”

OP posts:
Vaccineque · 18/11/2019 12:06

Great thank you everyone. I’m definitely going to go ahead. Nice to hear from others who have done it. Anyone I talk to thinks I’m barmy or their dc have had it so they don’t have an opinion. Some have even suggested the dreaded chicken pox parties!! Angry

OP posts:
sadpigeon · 18/11/2019 12:13

I had the same problem - they hadn't caught it by age around 6 & 4 like yours so I got them vaccinated. They need 2 doses, I didn't get round to getting the second dose as around 6 months after their first dose chicken pox went round youngest nursery and she got a really mild case of it (a few itchy spots on her face). Then around a year later oldest got a really mild version when chicken pox went round her class - handful of spots on her face only symptom. I still feel it was worth it as them having had one dose of the vaccine meant when they did get the pox it it was very mild and they didn't suffer.

welshweasel · 18/11/2019 12:14

@AnneLovesGilbert there is one licensed from 9 months now (varilrix)

JPharm · 18/11/2019 12:16

Do it. I’m getting my second child vaccinated as soon as she’s old enough. My first caught it at nursery and was really unwell.

GettingABitDesperateNow · 18/11/2019 12:21

Its two shots a month apart, it cost us 60 quid a shot. No ill effects for us (and one of mine had quite a high temp for 48 hours after infant injections). I think it's worth it, even just from the point of view of finding childcare if they had it

DobbyLovesSocks · 18/11/2019 12:21

Do it! I wish I had known about the vaccine when my DS was little (or was it around then? He was born in 2010).
My DS got chicken pox aged 3 and he was absolutely covered in spots - even on his genitals. He still has scars now on his face from them Sad
I was told that it was better for him to have them young and it was better to get them out of the way early - I almost smacked the person that told me it 'is a mild illness'

Celebelly · 18/11/2019 12:22

@welshweasel Ooh where did you get that done? I'm hoping DD makes it to a year without getting it but if we could get her done sooner that would be great.

GettingABitDesperateNow · 18/11/2019 12:22

It isn't really widely publicised here - most people when I've told them I've done it have been surprised because they didnt know it was available.

Forgot to say it is a live vaccine so they have to avoid any immune compromised people for a while

floraloctopus · 18/11/2019 12:24

I'm thinking about paying for it for my sixteen old who has never had it, Sod's law he will get it during GCSEs.

welshweasel · 18/11/2019 12:27

We had it done at the IGP in Cardiff - think they have a clinic in Bristol too. There’s lots of places that offer the 9 month one.

welshweasel · 18/11/2019 12:29

The other benefit to getting to done at 9 months is that it doesn’t interfere with the MMR (you have to have the MMR same day or at least a month apart from chicken pox vaccine)

MissMooMoo · 18/11/2019 12:32

I had my son vaccinated as soon as I could, it is a routine vaccine in my home country and I was surprised it's not in the UK.
Expecting another dc in the new year and will have them vaccinated too.
It was done at superdrug and the cost was £65 per injection (there are 2)

Shutityoutart · 18/11/2019 12:38

Mine have both been vaccinated. It's not for life though is it? Will your kids get a booster when they are older?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.