Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

New bathroom interrupting naps!

7 replies

Me1986 · 16/11/2019 22:53

Ok, so not as entitled as it sounds... Hear me out.
My neighbours (a couple who are expecting a baby), posted a kind note 4 weeks ago letting me know that they were having their bathroom refurbed and as it's just the other side of the wall that there would be noise. They know we have a baby who is 5 months old. The letter said it would be finished by the Friday (so 5 days in total).
No problem and it was really kind of them to post a note and consider us.
Except for the fact that the refurb is still happening, 4 weeks later and at random days and times (so I can't 'prepare' for it). The noise is terrible, tile cutting, drilling for up to 2 hours at a time.
In short I can't get my lg to have naps longer than 5 mins on these days as the noise obviously wakes her up.
I wouldn't mind if I knew the days the work was being done as I could escape to my mums (40 mins away but still) or go for a drive. Its the randomness of it all that's driving me a bit mad.
I obviously don't want to fall out with anyone but would I be unreasonable to speak to them? We aren't friends, just neighbours, so hence why I feel awkward about it all. Would I sound like an arsey, entitled person for saying something?
My partner (who is in work all day) thinks I need to suck it up.

OP posts:
happychange · 16/11/2019 22:58

It's very annoying but I don't think there's anything you can do about it, I'm afraid your DH is right

Even if you complained, what could they do about it? They are allowed to do that between 9-6 during the week

Me1986 · 16/11/2019 23:00

Yeh I totally get they are allowed. I should have clarified, I kind of just want to know roughly from them what days the work is being done so I can prepare for it. I don't expect them to stop doing the work obviously! Lol I just need prior warning.

OP posts:
ParadiseLaundry · 16/11/2019 23:05

When the work is finished will there be noise like flushing toilets that might keep your DD awake too? Just a thought.

Stefoscope · 16/11/2019 23:11

Can you not just go for a drive or escape to your mum's when you hear the noise starting up? I don't think it would be unreasonable to politely ask them if they know when the work is likely to be finished. If they have trades people in doing the work for them it may be that they don't have much control in when the work is happening.

Me1986 · 16/11/2019 23:17

We never hear flushing etc. The drilling etc. Is very very loud and hence why we hear it. I've tried moving rooms with her, it doesn't help.
My neighbours dad is doing the work, so I'm guessing she must have some idea when he is free.

OP posts:
Hecateh · 16/11/2019 23:20

I suspect they don't know.

'Oh, yes - we'll be done in 5 days,'

'oh sorry, the xxx isn't in stock we'll bring it and fit it tomorrow.'

A week later they turn up - but it's the wrong bit and they need to cut this out and fit round that ........... and so on and so on

They will have told you what they were told and are probably cringing in embarrassment but if they come and tell you the workers are coming at 10 tomorrow, the workers won't turn up, or will turn up 3 hours late, or will turn up and leave again and ....

Hopefully for both you and you neighbours it will be finished soon - they have been managing without a proper bathroom for 4 weeks now. AND THEY are paying for it.

I know it's their responsibility but they have no more control than you do.

GettingABitDesperateNow · 17/11/2019 10:08

I would say something just a simple 'hows it going with the bathroom, I know you might not get a lot of notice but would you mind letting me know when you know what days you're having work done so that I can take my baby somewhere else for a nap? Here's my number if it's easier to text'

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.