Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

WWYD? Housing related

7 replies

AuntVictoria · 11/11/2019 20:04

Apologies in advance for a boring WWYD!

DH and I have lived in our rental property for the last seven years. It's a private rent and the landlords are great - they've been round twice in that time and we've only had one rent increase. In return we never bother them and take care of minor repairs ourselves.

We have a toddler DS and are planning another in the New Year. The problem is that our house is a tiny two up two down with no garden and no storage. With another DC we just won't have enough space.

The landlords have had another property become available - not massively bigger but it's a three bed (although one's a walkthrough) and it has a small garden which would be big enough for us to play in with the kids. However it's an extra £200 a month. We can afford that but it would mean less 'fun' money. On mat leave DS and I went to loads of baby groups, soft play, farms etc and we'd have less money for that. However, we will need more space and if we don't grab this house now it might not be available when we need it and we may not get as good as landlord again.

I'm so conflicted! Help me mumsnet!

OP posts:
oknowimscared · 11/11/2019 20:07

Grab it with both hands! A good landlord like that is golddust - you’ll have to move somewhere bigger before long anyway, and you might land yourself with a landlord who likes putting the rent up regularly.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 11/11/2019 20:07

I'd ask them whether, as you have proven yourselves committed and trustworthy tenants, they'd consider meeting in the middle at an extra 100pcm?

PoppetyPing · 11/11/2019 20:09

If you can afford £200 pm why not save to buy?

ChazsBrilliantAttitude · 11/11/2019 20:12

Would you find anything better for your budget? Landlords like good tenants too so I would speak to them.

Zampa · 11/11/2019 20:13

If you can afford £200 pm why not save to buy?

It would take 20 years to save £48K at £200 pcm. The kids would have left home by the time the deposit was big enough.

OP - approach the LL with an offer. You've proved yourself good tenants and better the devil you know IMO.

AuntVictoria · 11/11/2019 20:47

Thanks all! I hadn't thought of trying to negotiate a smaller rent but that's a great idea, if it was only £100 more a month we'd take it without a second thought.

OP posts:
PoppetyPing · 12/11/2019 21:55

@Zampa who said anything about £48k? You only need a 5% deposit... Plenty of schemes out there for 1st time buyers. I'm sure op could save £3-400 by the sounds of it by cutting back on some things?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.