Meet the Other Phone. A phone that grows with your child.

Meet the Other Phone.
A phone that grows with your child.

Buy now

Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

to think someone could have got badly hurt re. Travelodge incident with digger driver

18 replies

HelenaDove · 23/01/2019 00:01

Just seen this and it happened on Monday. Someone could have been badly hurt here You dont even have to be standing very close to be hit by flying glass.

OP posts:
HelenaDove · 23/01/2019 00:02
OP posts:
GunpowderGelatine · 23/01/2019 00:05

YANBU, I thought exactly the same did the driver even think about guests that may be in, my DS is 2 and has the be clung on to with a vice like grip most days, he'd have loved to see a "digger".

Have you seen in the video where one guy pulls another away as he goes for them?

Hope the selfish prick gets arrested and charged

safariboot · 23/01/2019 00:07

It wasn't open yet, there'd be no guests. I'm not sure there were even any staff besides the construction workers.

Still dangerous though.

duckthisshit · 23/01/2019 00:08

I thought it was an empty new hotel.

GunpowderGelatine · 23/01/2019 00:09

Ah ok fair enough. But yes still very dangerous!

HelenaDove · 23/01/2019 00:26

i saw two blokes trying to do something to the back of the digger to try and stop him. And almost get knocked flying in the process.

OP posts:
PennyMordauntsLadyBrain · 23/01/2019 00:32

People over SM seem to think this is hilarious, but it’s not the reaction of a normal person is it? He obviously has some serious issues.

Imagine being his partner or mother and living with someone like that- if that’s how he thinks it’s acceptable to behave in public, what’s he like at home?

OP posts:
SofiaAmes · 23/01/2019 00:36

Imagine what it must be like to work for weeks and then not get paid and your rent is due and you have no money for groceries or nappies or whatever and you don't have the money or resources or education to pursue your wages in an "acceptable" way. I think some more information about why he was driven to the brink might be necessary before throwing too much judgement.

HelenaDove · 23/01/2019 00:48

Sofia click on my link. Some others are saying they havent been paid for months.

OP posts:
Birdsgottafly · 23/01/2019 00:53

So what's your point?

There are lots of suicides, suicide attempts that could kill others, or mentally damage them for life. Some of the train drivers that have killed people have never worked again.

Because we know that no-one was hurt, people find it funny.

They are laughing at his actions, not him.

I'll be honest, I saw it, as soon as it was posted and didn't think it was funny.

But we're all different.

There's a spate of rip off merchants and bad payers, in the building trade, but they keep getting contracts and I hope this highlights them and people ask questions.

We've just had the Carillion mess. There's little enough work about and the work that is about, needs to be paying the wages on time.

But this isn't just about the money.

Birdsgottafly · 23/01/2019 00:54

"Hope the selfish prick gets arrested and charged"

If only that could happen to all those who are destroying our City and wasting resources.

HelenaDove · 23/01/2019 00:54

"The family of a man who trashed a hotel with a digger say he had been trying to get mental health treatment for weeks.

Jason Pellegrini, 43, says his cousin, John Manley, is now being treated in hospital for mental health issues after ploughing the plant hire vehicle into a newly built Travelodge on Edge Lane.

Mr Pellegrini said Mr Manley, 35, was sleeping on a relative's couch in Netherton and was desperate after his £600 wages were allegedly not paid on time by sub-contracting firm MF Constructions.

Mobile phone footage, which has since gone viral, showed the digger arm tearing down the ceiling, smashing through the windows and destroying the front desk.

Now Mr Pellegrini says Mr Manley's family is keen to highlight the huge strain on mental health services in Sefton after he struggled to get specialist help

Mr Pellegrini told the ECHO: "He's had a very, very bad life. He's not an angel; we don't want to portray him as an angel...

"We have been trying to get him help but there's such a long waiting list. It's not down to the health care professionals but it's a lack of resources in Sefton.

"We are not condoning what he did at all; someone could have been seriously hurt and he's not a national hero like some people have been making out.

"He is very troubled and it's something when he has had to do what he did to get the kind of help he needs

He told me he does not want any money, he just wants his mates to get paid and he wants to get well."

Mr Pellegrini also denied reports that his cousin had been paid when he trashed the hotel, but had not checked his bank account, saying Mr Manley does not even have an account.

Mr Pellegrini said: "He would ring the GP at 8am when it opens, and there would already be 37 people in the waiting line for an appointment.

"We wanted to get him a to a psychiatrist in Crosby but the waiting list is so long."

He said Mr Manley had experienced a "traumatic" childhood and had worked sporadically.

He told the ECHO: "I know he was technically of no fixed abode and could not claim benefits, so when he didn't work he literally had nothing. He had no money for gas, electric or food.

He had not been paid on the Friday and he was trying to call his boss all weekend. His boss would not answer the phone.

"I think in the end he just snapped. He said to me he would not have done it if he'd had an explanation.

Other constructions workers for MF, who wished to remain anonymous, contacted the ECHO to describe alleged problems with their wages.

One said: "I myself have been left unpaid for £1,100 worth of work while other lads are without even more than that.

"I have been working on that site for three months now and they still haven't paid me. There are around seven of us in the same boat.

The lad who was driving the digger today, he's owed £600 and for all of us that's a lot of money.

"I stand by what my colleague did. We have been getting walked on for months and he done something about it."

Triton Construction, the main contractor for the Travelodge site, said there was no major structural damage.

Michael Parkinson, managing director of Triton, said: "It is our understanding that one of the labourers working for MF Construction, who were employed as the groundworks contractor for the project, had been waiting for his boss to arrive with his wages, which he told other workers on site were overdue.

"It is alleged that the labourer couldn’t track down the owner of MF Construction and he became increasingly frustrated.

At approximately 3.00pm the labourer took it upon himself to drive a small mini excavator through the entrance screen of the hotel and subsequently caused damage to finishes within the reception.

"The labourer then ran from the scene and to our knowledge is being pursued by the police.

Fortunately there appears to be no structural damage so repairs can be undertaken relatively quickly. “

Merseyside Police released a statement this afternoon confirming they had "located" a man as part of the investigation into the incident.

The force said the man would be interviewed, but he is not currently under arrest."

OP posts:
HelenaDove · 23/01/2019 01:04

"One said: "I myself have been left unpaid for £1,100 worth of work while other lads are without even more than that.

"I have been working on that site for three months now and they still haven't paid me. There are around seven of us in the same boat"

If this is true im surprised it didnt happen just before Christmas.

OP posts:
SofiaAmes · 23/01/2019 01:07

Notice how the Triton Construction guy makes no mention of the men having finally been paid or whether they will do a better job of on-time payment in future.

HelenaDove · 23/01/2019 13:40

@SofiaAmes Check out the Twitter account @joefblue he was one of the builders working there.

OP posts:
Elfinablender · 23/01/2019 13:47

Living on a sofa, he couldn't claim benefits, couldn't get a doctor's appointment, no access to a psychiatrist, being fucked around for wages...I mean, this kind of shit is going to happen more and more while people slip through all the impoverished safety nets.

HelenaDove · 23/01/2019 22:39

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/first-picture-digger-rampage-driver-15719494?fbclid=IwAR3C7Qwg35MTOFAnTzLPBewhk0mLyzgf0vL1AhjOLkAjd3hQYzbTgfEeN1Y

"Yesterday his cousin, Jason Pellegrini, 43, revealed Mr Manley had been trying to get specialist mental health treatment for weeks.

Today he re-iterated that rumours circulating in the national media suggesting his cousin had been paid, but had not checked his bank account before the rampage, were false

In a new statement, shared with the ECHO, he said: "I would just like to stress what I stated in my local paper and clear something up.

"John Manley did not get paid on Monday, I know this as he does not have a bank account as he did not have the necessary identification, his wages, when paid, go into a family members' account.

"This was checked on Monday and there was £20 donated by a friend. If, as has been reported, there was an alleged glitch in the system, why would the boss refuse to answer any calls or messages which John left? Should he not explain this to his workers who break their back in a physically demanding job and just want a honest wage?

"We would like to highlight the fact again we do not condone John's actions for the simple fact someone could have been seriously injured or worse; pay disputes can be handled in different ways.

"Potentially if the unions had more power it could be resolved that way, however I doubt that will happen whilst we have the muppets in charge of our country."

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page