My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for decent alternatives to bottled water?

75 replies

b123p · 05/11/2018 10:38

Will start this by saying:

I know I'm a privileged snowflake.
I also know that plastic bottles are horrible for the environment, and drinking out of them is said to not be good for the human body too.

But I drink the best part of three litres of water a day, and have found that Brita water filters don't take the edge off tap water for me. If I try and wean myself off the bottled water, I don't drink as much, and my body feels terrible.

Does anyone have any water filter/filter tap recommendations, or alternatives to bottled water that still taste nice? Lakeland has this fancy one

www.lakeland.co.uk/73247/ZeroWater-5-Stage-Water-Filter-Jug-with-Free-TDS-Meter-1-7L

but reluctant to take a punt without knowing more, and the price of the filters is quite nausea-inducing!

Thanks in advance.

OP posts:
LoniceraJaponica · 05/11/2018 10:41

Why can't you drink tap water?

LoniceraJaponica · 05/11/2018 10:41

Cooled boiled water?

NRPDad · 05/11/2018 10:42

Tap water with squash or fruit infuser if you don't like the taste.

Spam88 · 05/11/2018 10:55

What is this 'edge' that tap water has that bothers you?

Sleeplikeasloth · 05/11/2018 10:55

A great alternative to bottled water is tap water...

antimatter · 05/11/2018 10:58

Tea tastes better with that filtered water but I drink tap water because our body needs minerals. If you replace all tap or bottled water you are drinking daily with filtered water you may get headaches from dehydration.

hellsbells99 · 05/11/2018 10:58

I thought the same as some of the replies above until I tasted the tap water in Liverpool where DD is a student - it was awful, tasted very chlorinated I think. I couldn't drink it in decent quantities. The tap water where I live tastes fine.

MrsStrowman · 05/11/2018 11:00

I do understand the tap water thing, we live in a very hard water area and the water smells very chlorinated, I drink it because I'm used to it but tend to have some frozen wedges of lemon/line to go in my water bottle, it's got one of those basket things, mint can work too

Stephisaur · 05/11/2018 11:01

I hate tap water, but don't mind it through the Brita filter.

Have you looked into a water cooler?

Spam88 · 05/11/2018 11:03

If chlorine is the problem then just leaving water to sit for a while will help reduce it a bit - perhaps keep an unlidded jug in the fridge?

Ansumpasty · 05/11/2018 11:03

I’m with you- I don’t drink tap water after I figured out that it’s the chlorine and flouride (sp?) that trigger my IBS.
Where I live, your skin smells slightly of chlorine after showering.
There are plastic particles in bottled water and obviously bad for the environment. However, I just want no stomach cramps. I had a look and apparently flirters that take out these two things don’t exist

littlepeas · 05/11/2018 11:05

I used to buy lots of bottled water and now try not to - if I do I buy glass bottles, which is, annoyingly, a lot more expensive. Our tap water tastes horrid too. I use a Brita filter jug, which does help in our case - I didn't know that tap water has essential minerals that the filter removes though!

b123p · 05/11/2018 11:08

Thank you to everyone who's made suggestions, really appreciate it. Lots of good ideas here.

OP posts:
Notcontent · 05/11/2018 11:10

Tap water in most developed nations is pretty good. I was reading an article about a study which found most brands of bottled water contain a lot more plastic particles than tap water!

SaucyJack · 05/11/2018 11:11

I take it you don’t like squash?

Our tap water tastes of warm bleach too. A nice drop of Robinson’s helps one forget that it’s full of chlorine and has been through about 20 other people’s faeces, I tend to find. Yummy!

HoustonBess · 05/11/2018 11:16

Tap water. If you don't like that, try flavouring it a bit with a squeeze of lemon or lime, bit of cucumber, etc. Or try cold teas - add a bit of mint or camomile, fruit tea etc. Make it up and leave it to cool.

b123p · 05/11/2018 11:18

Used to have lots of squash, but unfortunately there are some links with health issues I've had and sugar free squash, so had to cut that out. Tried sugary squash for a while, but the dentist noticed the change immediately, so that went out of the window too.

I would like nothing more than to find water from the tap palatable, but I can't help that I don't. I drink a lot of water, and stomaching something you don't like in great quantities isn't great. Maybe it is the area we are in. Asking for recommendations because I'm trying to change.

OP posts:
TurkeyBear · 05/11/2018 11:19

@hellsbells99 I'm in Liverpool - the water is the best I've ever drank. Everywhere else tastes chalky or yeugh to me. It depends entirely on what pipes the property has here. If it's old copper pipes and storage tanks the chlorination flavour vanishes. We do seem to have an issue with new plastic plumbing making it taste 'fragrant' though.

TurkeyBear · 05/11/2018 11:20

OP put sliced cucumber in a camelback bottle and let it sit for an hour in the fridge. Cucumber water is amazing 😍

LoniceraJaponica · 05/11/2018 11:20

Spam's idea is a good one, and does actually work.

HoppingPavlova · 05/11/2018 11:21

Slice of lemon or lime in it. A jug of it with a piece of watermelon and sprig if mint?

FrancesFryer · 05/11/2018 11:22

I don't like tap water straight from the tap.
I use a stainless steel cup with lid and put ice in it.

It then makes the water cold enough you don't taste the chemicals

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

HoppingPavlova · 05/11/2018 11:22

*of mint

MaggieFS · 05/11/2018 11:22

Can you try and wean yourself into it? Sounds odd, but when I moved south from Yorkshire I couldn't stand the tap water and used to lug the five litre bottles home from the supermarket! Gradually though had increasing amounts of tap water and now it's fine!

Or put a little lemon or mint in it?

stayingaliveisawayoflife · 05/11/2018 11:24

Bobble bottles might work! They have a filter in them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.