My feed

to access all these features


Wwyd? Selling house when splitting up

8 replies

Bigbumfatthighs · 04/11/2018 20:17

First time posting looking for some advice for my DM. Try not to drop feed sorry if it’s long! She moved in with her partner last year 50/50 on everything, mortgage free. Pretty soon after, it was clear things weren’t working. Started with small comments putting her down etc now escalated to following her, taking her phone whilst sleeping, creeping into her room at night. He’s controlling and a bully and accusing her of cheating which she isn’t. It’s over but he can’t except. House has been on market for nearly 12 weeks, only 2 viewings no offers. 2nd EA has visited and suggests dropping by £5k to get people in. Partner refuses, won’t put it on for any less than first EA stated. Mum is desperate to get out. Where does she stand legally in this? Tia

OP posts:
Singlenotsingle · 04/11/2018 20:22

EAs overvalue. They do it to get the business and then lo and behold, a couple of weeks later they want you to drop the price!. So the lower value is probably realistic. Can she buy him out? Can anyone in the family buy him out?

Bigbumfatthighs · 04/11/2018 20:28

The house is on for 275kno option to buy him out, mum is in her 60s works part time. She Has a small mortgage approved so she can purchase a little 1 bed. She has said she will stump up the extra between sold and estimate but could prove costly and I really don’t want that creep having her money when the estimate is overvalued

OP posts:
MRex · 04/11/2018 20:32

You probably want to ask on the legal branch.
It is possible to get a court order to sell the property (random link from Google below, not a recommendation):

MRex · 04/11/2018 20:33

Financially it makes more sense for her to get a court order than to give him £5k (or what if it's ultimately £15k?).

Soontobe60 · 04/11/2018 20:35

Who is currently living in the house?

Bigbumfatthighs · 04/11/2018 20:39

That’s the sticking point, it could be any figure and she doesn’t have that money. Both currently living in house but separate bedrooms. She’s had to put a wedge under her door as he was caught sneaking in and snooping in her things whilst she was asleep..

OP posts:
DobbinsVeil · 04/11/2018 20:45

It must be very worrying, maybe suggest your mum contacts Rights of Women, particularly as you say the abusive behaviour is escalating.

DeathyMcDeathStarFace · 04/11/2018 21:41

I think she needs to put a lock on her door so her ex can't get in at all, what if he's going through her stuff when she's out too and she doesn't know; and she needs to get a solicitor to give her some decent expert advice re selling the house, particularly so she doesn't lose out.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.