My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Aibu to ask for your ideas for an 18th birthday "survival kit" type gift? Plus any other ideas you care to throw my way

23 replies

Graphista · 04/11/2018 00:13

Dd turns 18 early Feb and I've just had my first text from someone asking for ideas what to get her.

I need to get organised! I know it's in 3 months but with Xmas and Hogmanay experience has taught me over the years best to be organised and the rest of the family gradually agreed!

In addition I'm agoraphobic and currently housebound so limited to online shopping. Though of course others buying for her can get to shops.

Was browsing Amazon and there was a "survival kit" but it wasn't great so I thought maybe myself and others that love her could create our own?

With a mix of fun and serious stuff in?

I know you're a creative inspired lot so thought I'd ask you to hit me with ideas!

She works very hard, so likes her bed!!

Has good close friends, very into her make up & very good at it - to the point that she's often asked to do other people's for special occasions not just friends (I keep telling her she should charge em!), likes a manicure, fake tan, trip to hairdressers - not just a vanity thing. She has a disability so getting a little hand & forearm massage or head massage is soothing for her. Not sure if full on spa day is her thing though.

Likes a nice long bath sometimes.

I'm ashamed to say not much idea what she's into film/tv/music wise apart from that bloody awful hard style stuff. I'm out the loop on that score.

She's not really one for good jewellery (and tends to lose it!)

Not a reader but a short "how to survive adulthood" book might be fun.

That's just to get you guys started but I'm open to any ideas as even if it's not exactly right might lead me to something inspired Smile

OP posts:
SpitefulMidLifeAnimal · 04/11/2018 00:41

How about simply asking her what she would like?

Disquieted1 · 04/11/2018 00:44

Her birthday is in February so how about a Brexit survival kit?
All the stuff we won't be able to get if trade dries up completely. French perfume, Italian shoes, Greek Ouso, German music (I think The Hoff is popular over there).... one item for each EU country.

Trappedin · 04/11/2018 00:46

Does she like that kind of thing? I personally would give cash or 1 sentimental gift if you do 18 not 21.

Urban decay eye shadow palettes are great and under £40.

But if you want things for an adult survivals kit:
Condoms
Bottle of spirits
Corkscrew
Bottle opener

There are drinking versions of the hungry caterpillar an other children’s books.

Graphista · 04/11/2018 00:53

She's murder for not knowing what she wants or asking for things that are hard to get!

Plus I like to surprise her too, and it's worked well in the past when I've managed to come up with something it wouldn't have occurred to her to ask for but which she loves!

I like the brexit idea - I was thinking a good perfume. She can't afford it herself and wouldn't buy it but I was thinking if I snuck a peak at what scents she likes mners might be able to recommend a good quality perfume with similar "scent profile"?

OP posts:
Graphista · 04/11/2018 00:54

There are drinking versions of the hungry caterpillar an other children’s books.

Really? Where?

OP posts:
Trappedin · 04/11/2018 00:55

It is called the very hungover caterpillar £4 on Amazon. I often give it instead of a card

Twotabbycats · 04/11/2018 00:55

Is she planning on going to uni? I did and got lots of practical things for my 18th (also February) - things like a cassette player (showing my age here) hairdryer, kettle and an iron (!). You could substitute modern replacements eg speakers for her phone if she doesn't have them, plus towels, kitchen stuff, nice teapot if she likes tea, that kind of thing. (I may be crazily out of date and teens get these things anyway and not as presents, in which case sorry!) Plus some personal stuff like makeup - perhaps stuff she couldn't afford for herself.

Trappedin · 04/11/2018 00:56

There is also we are going on a beer hunt and the teenager who came to tea

Trappedin · 04/11/2018 00:57

Bar hunt not beer hunt

sirmione16 · 04/11/2018 01:01

18 is such a sentimental age, I like the idea but feel I would've wanted something more meaningful too. How about a little notepad filled with your own wise words. Notes for days she may be feeling stressed, notes for days she may need a hug, note of advice on practical things - tips and tricks. Really sentimental and she'll definitely go to it when she feels she needs a boost.

More gimmicky things could include her favourite sweets or chocolates. Perhaps a Netflix subscription, iTunes voucher or a gift card for a clothes shop.

Few pamper items for definite - "for when you've had a bad day" bubble bath, "for when you want to relax" face masks, "for the big nights out" nipple covers, gel heel pads, mini perfume portable spray bottle. "For the hangovers" ibuprofen/paracetamol and a cosy blanket.

I'm sure you'll put together something lovely and personal she'll love x

BackforGood · 04/11/2018 01:03

Are you looking for 'things no adult should be without' type things as well ?

Screwdriver set
Bottle Opener
First Aid Kit
Sewing Kit

Types of things ?

MrsTerryPratcett · 04/11/2018 01:05

Chronicle books do little sets where you write 'letters to my baby' or 'letters to my mum'. They might have one.

ChipsNSauce · 04/11/2018 01:27

My dd was 18 a few weeks ago. I got her this www.bookdepository.com/Letters-Open-on-Your-Birthday-Lea-Redmond/9781452159454 among other things. Similar to what a previous poster mentioned.

AiryFairyUnicornRainbow · 04/11/2018 01:31

Survival kit = naff idea IMO. Dont waste your money on cheap tat...

Get her something useful, like a lap top

Graphista · 04/11/2018 01:36

"It is called the very hungover caterpillar £4 on Amazon. I often give it instead of a card"

"There is also we are going on a beer hunt and the teenager who came to tea" bloody love this and just dds humour too thanks.

Twotabbycats - thanks for the contribution but she's very anti-education right now (long story hoping she'll change her mind) she actually is interested in possibly training for a job that would make her sort of a jet setter? Too outing to say exactly what but no definite plans right now. She currently works full time doing shifts - I'm sorely tempted to track down a HUGE double bell wind up alarm clock - or an industrial klaxon! As she's murder to get up for earlies!

"18 is such a sentimental age, I like the idea but feel I would've wanted something more meaningful too. How about a little notepad filled with your own wise words. Notes for days she may be feeling stressed, notes for days she may need a hug, note of advice on practical things - tips and tricks. Really sentimental and she'll definitely go to it when she feels she needs a boost." I actually love the idea - might need ideas for "wise words" though oooo - I've just had an idea! Get a nice notebook, fill a few pages myself with wise words and then get others to do same? Her friends and other family members? Physically distributing might be difficult - hmm are there companies that if I told them all the comments I wanted in a book would produce a book like this? Maybe someone on etsy or not on the high street? We have family and friends around the world who I know would LOVE to contribute to something like this.

MrsTerryPratchett just seen your post so maybe they can do this?

She has favourite food and drink which is something i do for her most years and so do others so not particularly special.

iTunes voucher is a good call! (And would save me money too!)

"Few pamper items for definite - "for when you've had a bad day" bubble bath, "for when you want to relax" face masks, "for the big nights out" nipple covers, gel heel pads, mini perfume portable spray bottle. "For the hangovers" ibuprofen/paracetamol and a cosy blanket." These would work for the survival kit thanks.

Backforgood - hard to say. She's still living at home and I don't see that changing in the near future. But bottle opener is definitely one thing I've thought about. Not least because they can also be used for opening cans and save her and her friends wrecking their nails/manicures.

She has a laptop and she will get useful non-milestone stuff too but this thread was for ideas particularly relating to turning 18

OP posts:
Johnnyfinland · 04/11/2018 02:01

Personally when I turned 18 I would have hated anything soppy and sentimental. It would have made me cringe. I wanted cold hard cash and booze! How about a mix of funny stuff like you’re suggesting and a couple of more expensive gifts like some good quality make up or a nail kit? Stuff she’ll use that will last a while

Graphista · 04/11/2018 02:11

Yes it will be a mix, cheap n fun + more costly and long lasting, some sentimental bits.

Ok - here's a challenge for you guys, it's basically all her life been me and her against the world - any ideas of a small memento of that sentiment?

OP posts:
Toptheginup · 04/11/2018 04:13

I would have loved something sentimental at any age, I have given sentimental type gifts in the past, I think these are more memorable and add a personal touch or show that thought has gone into it rather than just wine and chocolates for example.
If I had an 18 ur old daughter I would probably get 18 different gift boxes with a surprise in each, one could be a framed photograph of you both together, one could be a smaller box with a little good luck charm and one of those sentimental little cards that fit in your purse, they usually have little poems on? A box with something funny, or related to an inside joke you two share? Mac voucher or benefit voucher? Some nice headphones? I would make box 18 the more extravagant gift ie an expensive coat or something like a laptop. You could have a photobook made online with 18 pictures and little memory quotes, maybe have something like 18 of my favourite moments watching you grow up. I find willow tree are always a hit, or vouchers for somewhere like riverisland would be appreciated. One thing I used to love receiving was new trainers, everyone likes a brand new clean pair of smart trainers don't they? Or as another poster said, the urban decay have some new eyeshadow pallettes out.
Also, have a look on moonpig for the personalised cards? There are some quite funny ones which always go down well in our family.

sashh · 04/11/2018 04:54

Is she going to uni? I did a 'bag of requirement' for my neice but it was more or uni as she started about a week after her birthday.

I started with a weekend bag with a 5 year guarantee.

In it went

Card vouchers for supermarkets
flip flops - for shared showers
warm hat and scarf
emergency chocolate
mini first aid kit
san pro and toilet roll
note pads and pens
cheap set of toothbrushes
picture frame
very cheap spare mobile phone
memory stick
matches
'fake' night lights - electric ones as candles are usually banned in halls
torch

Obviously mine was aimed much more at uni but I think a weekend bag is a good place to start. Then add 17 more gifts.

violetbunny · 04/11/2018 06:16

A properly grownup red Chanel lipstick.

Yeahmum · 04/11/2018 06:33

Ok - here's a challenge for you guys, it's basically all her life been me and her against the world - any ideas of a small memento of that sentiment?. How about a bangle with something secret about that engraved on the inside.

anniehm · 04/11/2018 06:40

I'm getting mine a small box of essentials eg tin opener, wooden spoon and corkscrew then £200.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Graphista · 04/11/2018 20:46

Due to another thread I'm adding Sony cube alarm clock/radio to the list maybe THAT will get her up on earliesGrin

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.