Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be pissed off with my washing machine

10 replies

LottieLou90 · 01/11/2018 10:31

Hi all,

I’m sorry I’m posting on here but I’m at my wits end!

Every time I do a load of washing the lights / whites and also the lighter colours like yellows, come out with like a grey ish stain on them (attached a pic)

I’ve tried wiping the seal and running it empty on a hot cycle but it still happens. One website says to put distilled vinegar in on an empty cycle which is the next thing to try but has anyone experienced this? Or know what it is?

I wash darks / colours and whites separately and chuck in a colour catcher now in case it’s that. Not changed detergent and don’t overload. My whites are coming out dirtier than when they go in!! Washing machine is about 3 years old.

I’ve had to buy new blouses for DD school because of it. Please help!

TIA

To be pissed off with my washing machine
OP posts:
MereDintofPandiculation · 01/11/2018 10:40

When you wipe the seal, have you just wiped the channel in the seal, or did you lift the flap that fits snug against the drum as well? You often get black mould growing under there.

Also remove the powder dispenser and make sure that's clean. You'll find it comes apart for cleaning.

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey · 01/11/2018 10:49

I had this. It was build up of slimey gunk inside the machine.
Take your detergent drawer out and give it a good scrub. Put it in the dishwasher if you hve one. Scrub the inside where the drawer goes. Then once the drawer is done, put 500g soda crystals into your drum and run a hot wash. Maybe do it twice.
My washing is clean now Grin

purpleunicorns · 01/11/2018 10:50

You can buy washing machine cleaner, just put it in an empty washer on 60 degrees and that should help clean it. It's only about £4

LottieLou90 · 01/11/2018 10:57

Thank you.

I didn’t even think about the detergent drawer Blush

@Mere I lifted the flap and gave it a good scrub

Will scrub my detergent drawer and try that, if not will buy the cleaner for it.

Thanks again x

OP posts:
liquidrevolution · 01/11/2018 11:00

I chuck a mug full of white vinegar in the drum and put it on the hottest wash possible. Try to do this monthly to keep on top of it. I usually give the seal a good wiping over beforehand. I dont use the drawer so I dont bother with that.

I had to do it twice in a row recently as it had been a few months... Blush

Agent13 · 01/11/2018 11:05

Are you using liquid or powder detergent? Liquid is really bad for gunking up washing machines.

LottieLou90 · 01/11/2018 11:33

I use powder detergent and a softener.

And for mine and DH clothes I sometimes chuck some of those nice smelly pearly things in the drum.

So white vinegar goes in the drum not in the drawer? @Liquidrevolution

OP posts:
mrswhiplington · 01/11/2018 11:46

I've had this problem in the past. I started putting white vinegar, about quarter of a bottle in the drum plus 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda. Run on a very hot wash. I had to do this numerous times in a row, it was that bad. Now I just do it every few weeks. Definitely give the seals a good clean. A lot of gunk gets stuck in there.

Eliza9917 · 01/11/2018 12:15

Agent13 Thu 01-Nov-18 11:05:21
Are you using liquid or powder detergent? Liquid is really bad for gunking up washing machines.

I heard it was the other way round - you shouldn't put powder in your machine. I only use tabs that go in the drum now.

totallyliterally · 01/11/2018 18:02

White vinegar in the drum and soda crystals in the drawer.l run hottest longest cycle.

But first take out the drawer and soak it in bleach and make sure no funk in the fabric softer pipe inside. (Use a cotton bud to clean)

Then look inside where drawer goes and see what the state of the jets are on the top.

Spray all inside with white vinegar and then put Bicarbonate of soda on a tooth brush and scrub them. And all inside.

Next empty the bottom filter (you'll need old clothes under it before opening it as water will come out a bit) check nothing blocked and give filler a good wash out.

Next the seal, as someone said you need to lift the edges. Always loads of gunk under it. Use a tooth brush and cloth and scrub it.

Then run the hot wash.

I had major problems with my machine. Mix of using a non bio only and then a black dye.

For months after it was leaving black gunk on white stuff. I did all the above, I also did a few 90 degree washes with bleach in too for good measure.

It is all good now. I have gone back to old fashioned bio owner for white and a liquid for colours.

And I run the white vinegar and soda crystals often on a hot with cloths in to give it a clean

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.