Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To keep DS at home tonight?

14 replies

FuckedItAgain · 31/10/2018 17:12

We shoyld have been meeting our friend to go guising, however DS didn't come in on time to get ready.

He has been out playing with friends and went somewhere I specifically said "no" to (toofar rrom home, not safe) so not only was he late home, he deliberately defied my rules.

I have said he is grounded and will not be going out tonight. Is this too harsh?

OP posts:
GreenFingersWouldBeHandy · 31/10/2018 17:13

Nope. He actively disobeyed you. He needs to understand there are consequences.

FuckedItAgain · 31/10/2018 17:14

For context he is 9 and has had a halloween party already so not like missing guising will mean he hasnt dressed up at all.

OP posts:
swapsicles · 31/10/2018 17:14

Not at all. Consequences have actions not a bucketful of sweets.

Racecardriver · 31/10/2018 17:17

If he put himself in danger then YANBU but a better consequence would be to just not jet him out alone anymore. That way you know he is safe and he learns from a natural civswuencevifvhus actions rather than what he will perceive to be an unfair punishment

FuckedItAgain · 31/10/2018 17:22

Well he wont be allowed out alone for a good while either.

He didn't put himself in serious danger like playing on a building site or anything but he went way way outside the boundaries of where he knows he is allowed to play after being warned specifically not to. I didnt know where he was, its further than i would think to look if i was nipping round the block to call him in too.

OP posts:
Nothisispatrick · 31/10/2018 17:27

What the heck is guising?

kaytee87 · 31/10/2018 17:33

Yanbu it seems a straight forward consequence to his behaviour and he'll remember it next time he thinks to disobey you.

To a pp guising comes from the word 'disguising' and is basically what some people call trick or treating now. In Scotland and Ireland it's still usually known as guising.

FuckedItAgain · 31/10/2018 17:36

Glad other people don't think I'm unreasonable. I know it makes sense to keep him in but wodnered if I was being really harsh making him miss out on all the sweets/fun.

OP posts:
purplecorkheart · 31/10/2018 17:37

I think it is perfectly fair that he is kept in tonight.

I have never heard of guising here in Ireland.

SillySallySingsSongs · 31/10/2018 17:37

Perfectly fair to keep him in tonight.

FoofFighter · 31/10/2018 17:39

Even if you don't know the word surely it's not beyond common sense to work it out tonight if all nights 
Trick or treating

FuckedItAgain · 31/10/2018 17:41

I'm in Scotland, we call Trick or Treating "guising".

OP posts:
youarenotkiddingme · 31/10/2018 17:41

Nope. Perfect response. And when all his friends are chatting about it tomorrow he can tell them he didn't get to go as he chose to misbehave.

Ok, he's unlikely to actually tell them that (more likely his mum is a meanie 😂) but he'll know the reason why and remember it next time and know you are serious about consequences.

kaytee87 · 31/10/2018 17:42

Seriously @purplecorkheart ? It's an old Celtic tradition

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.