Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask you about pregnancy holiday destinations

14 replies

Pickupthephone · 28/10/2018 11:02

Hi all

I’m not pregnant (that I know of) but my DH and I are TTC atm, so fingers crossed. We’d like to book a holiday in the first three or four months of next year and would like to choose a destination that will be fine whether I’m pregnant or not.

Given the time of year, I thought South Africa (the Cape area) might be a good bet. But we don’t necessarily need sunny weather. So I’m just curious - do you have any pregnancy holiday recommendations from your own experiences?

Thanks!

OP posts:
MatildaTheCat · 28/10/2018 11:04

Surely you must have places you’d like to visit and would be more awkward with a baby or young child? As long as it is free from Zika, doesn’t require a lot of vaccinations and has healthcare facilities then just go wherever you fancy.

And get proper travel insurance.

DannyWallace · 28/10/2018 11:09

Depends what kind of holiday you want.
I'm currently 21 weeks and on a sunlounger in Cyprus. My friend is a similar gestation to me and is just back from Caribbean (Zika safe place!). I also know a few people who have been to the states or other parts of Europe at this point in pregnancy.
The only thing to be mindful of is what you plan to do out there and the flight. I found sitting in that chair (after a long drive to the airport) surprisingly uncomfortable, and I'm not even big!x

MrsStrowman · 28/10/2018 11:13

We went to Portugal recently when I was about six months pregnant. We stayed in Cascais near Lisbon. It was good, we had a private apartment with pool etc, but I was still very very active then we went hiking in sintra (covered nearly ten miles) spent the day and night in Lisbon and most days covered at least five miles on foot (DH has a Fitbit type thing). Until I spoke to some friends, I didn't realise that level of activity isn't usual or possible for some when pregnant so I guess I was just lucky. I am now eight months and have gestational diabetes and a problem with my sacroiliac joint which causes me a lot of pain when walking but these things happen earlier for some women. In hindsight going somewhere I would've been happy just being quite sedentary would've been a less risky choice.

ParkheadParadise · 28/10/2018 11:19

When pregnant with dd2, we went to New York I was about 12w. We also went to Cyprus when I would have been about 16w.
When we came home I thought I had a kidney infection went to the doctors and found out I was 5mths pregnant with dd2.
Still can't think about the alcohol I had on holiday😂😂😂

36degrees · 28/10/2018 11:21

Just make sure your insurance is good and you take it out as soon as you book, paying particular attention to exclusions for cancellation. You are most likely to be fine, but you may have a situation where you need additional monitoring or medical attention, or just not feel like longish flights/being hot or cold/having limited food choices/being on your feet a lot/being sedentary a lot etc. Lots of luck with TTC and have a lovely holiday when the time comes Smile

SoyDora · 28/10/2018 11:21

Anywhere really as long as it’s not a Zika risk and has decent healthcare. Throughout my pregnancies we’ve done European city breaks, southern Italy, driven through northern Spain (making multiple stops for a night or two at a time) and down to Madrid, New York and Canada.

schopenhauer · 28/10/2018 11:24

I think most places with decent health care would be fine but I would probably have preferred to avoid long haul personally. I would look at something not easy to do with kids, eg cultural city break or a fancy resort that you wouldn’t necessarily afford with kiddies in tow.

Weedsnseeds1 · 28/10/2018 12:00

If you like swimming in the sea, be aware that the water around Cape Town is freezing in the summer as it's full of Antarctic melt water!

Purplejay · 28/10/2018 12:04

We went to Norway when I was 4/5 months pregnant Ideal time as drinking alcohol over there is expensive and I wasn’t having any. Went to London at about 8 weeks and was completely knackered by it. You might want to wait to book until nearer the time and see how you feel.

India1819 · 28/10/2018 12:05

I’m 12 weeks today and we’d like some sunshine early next year as our last holiday just the two of us. I thought either Morocco or Dubai, both not too long a flight and Zika free. Also should have a good chance of decent weather in jan/feb. Going to book last min though just to ensure I feel ok to travel. Had it easy so far but know that’s far from guaranteed to continue!

Cherries101 · 28/10/2018 12:24

I wouldn’t recommend ZA to anyone pregnant or not. If you want to drop that kind of money then the Middle East will probably get you a similar ‘luxury’ experience but without the crime or illnesses.

citychick · 28/10/2018 12:28

DH and I had a week in Madeira when I was 4 months pregnant. long time ago

That was a lovely holiday.

Lettherebelight · 28/10/2018 12:35

If it were me, I'd do something last minute when you know whether you are pregnant and, if so, how you are feeling. When I had morning sickness, any holiday would have been a waste as I couldn't have enjoyed it. Once that was out of the way, we had great holidays walking in Scotland and sightseeing/swimming in Spain.

user1471426142 · 28/10/2018 13:22

Depends what you’re interested in doing. I’ve been away for work at around 4-5 months during both pregnancies and found it relatively easy during the first pregnancy and utterly exhausting during the second. Obviously work is different to a holiday but i’d book last minute and see how you are. Some people feel absolutely fine and get that second trimester boost. This time round I’ve felt just as zombie like during the second trimester as the first and a holiday would have been a waste for me. First time round I’d have enjoyed one.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.