Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask you what you think about washer/dryers?

68 replies

pippa999 · 26/10/2018 20:13

I have a decent washing machine, (had it 3-4 years,) and although our washing has dried beautifully all over the summer, I don't want another winter of towels and jeans and jumpers and thick t-shirts hanging round the house (trying to dry!)

Causing the windows to steam up, blocking the heat (when it's cold) with the radiators covered in clothes, having to put the heating on to dry the washing, (when it's wet outside but still warm..) Both situations waste gas!

DH suggested a washer/dryer, but I have heard some negative things about them. Varying from taking waaaaay too long to dry the stuff, to not being able to do another load over the 2-3 hours that the machine is drying, to causing messy creased clothes, to causing high running costs.

There are 2 adults in our home (the kids have left home,) and I do maybe 6 or 7 medium sized loads a week.

Does anyone have any opinions and views about washer/dryers please? And if they are a good idea?

I mean like can you wash a load, and then pull it out and hang it outside if the sun comes out, or does it always go through the full wash and dry cycle?

I just wondered, if they're so amazing, why doesn't every single home have one? Why have a washing machine (to wash!) and a tumble dryer to dry? Why not just have the one?

Also, my (current) washing machine is great, and I'm a bit loathe to get rid of it for something less adequate. So wondered whether to keep it and just get a tumble dryer?

Thanks for reading. Hope someone can advise.

OP posts:

oldfatandtired1 · 26/10/2018 20:42

Mine’s rubbish. It’s a very expensive AEG model (didn’t buy it, came with my new house). Washes fine, doesn’t dry at all! Luckily house is warm so washing generally dries fine on the clothes horse overnight.

HazelBite · 26/10/2018 20:43

I've had them since 1981 and the only and useful advice i was given when buying my first one was only buy the "top of the range" ie the most expensive, as all others are unreliable.
I currently have a Siemens, and have had Bosch and Miele in the past.
I don't dry all my washing in mine, (we are family of six adults) so it tends to be airers and finished off in the tumble dryer.
If you have the space for a seperate dryer you will be able to wash and dry at the same time.

Nitrostormi · 26/10/2018 20:43

I have a zanussi washer dryer. I have been happy with it. It took a while for me to get used to it. The dryer can't cope with a full load of washing so I need to dry half or maybe less than half at a time. I would hate to be without my washer dryer

My mum has a separate tumble dryer which is amazing. Much better than my washer dryer so if you have space I would definitely get a separate one

I also have the Lakeland heater airer. It is good but prefer my washer dryer.

MrsMartinRohde · 26/10/2018 20:43

I have one. When I bought my flat there was one already installed. It was 8 years old and it died about 18 months later. I replaced it with another but now regret it because actually I don't ever use the dryer. I guess I wanted the option though. But it costs so much to use, and everything creases horribly, to the degree that ironing doesn't make much difference.

I have a Lakeland dryer, an airing cupboard, a large drying rack, and a balcony. Combination of those works well enough. It helps that I live in a block of flats where the temp in mine has never fallen below 23C in the three years I've lived here, and that's with never having the heating on.

knittingdad · 26/10/2018 20:45

If you have room them I would always go for a separate washer and tumble drier.

The drier can dry while the washer washes. A purpose-built drier is likely to be more efficient. My experience is that washer-driers can only dry a half load, so the separate machines are a lot faster.

That said, if you don't have the room, as I didn't when using washable nappies, then a washer-drier is a lot better than no drier at all.

hammeringinmyhead · 26/10/2018 20:46

I like ours but do NOT buy a cheap one. We had a Hotpoint for 8 years and the dryer parts broke every 6 months without fail so I ended up paying monthly insurance on it.

Our LG is great. But yes, it does take a while. About 1.5h for a wash and 2.5h to dry. I only use it for towels, bedding and underwear. Clothes go on an airer in the spare bedroom.

MissCharleyP · 26/10/2018 20:48

Had one in a flat, you could do just a wash then either put on drying cycle or just take the stuff out. It was fine as a washer, as a dryer it was crap; towels took hours and hours, even basics like socks & underwear took a lot longer than in a tumble dryer. I’d never have one again.

AliceRR · 26/10/2018 20:48

We had one and DH had had it for a
12+ years before it broke down earlier this year

It was actually quite handy as you could put it on to wash and dry and then take the laundry out a few hours later all done!

Didn’t have to worry about taking the stuff out of the washer to put into the dryer so work well if you were out a few hours too

We got a washing machine and I am now wondering whether I should have got one that dries as well

Penguinsetpandas · 26/10/2018 20:50

We have one and its great esp if you are going out to work - can leave it on and its washed and dried on return. You can also take it out after washing. Need to get a reasonable one - takes 2 hours or so to dry things.

pippa999 · 26/10/2018 20:51

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I didn't expect so many. Smile

It seems the general consensus is that they are not that shit-hot, and if I have a good washing machine (which I do,) it's best to get a tumble dryer, too. (I do have room, I can put it in the garage.)

There are several posters saying washer/dryers are good, but it seems these are the ones that are very expensive.

I did also think about one of those big Lakeland dryers. I do have a small one (£27 from Aldi,) but it's no good for bigger or thicker things - like towels, jeans, jumpers, and thick polo shirts and sweatshirts.

It's only good for underpants, bras, pillow cases, and socks etc, and even they take several hours. To be honest, they dry almost as well, just hanging the the house (without the radiators on.)

So I am worried that a Lakeland one may be the same (and won't dry stuff any faster than just hanging them up in the house.) Are they any good for jeans and towels and other thick stuff?

You have all been sooooo helpful, thank you! Would love to hear more opinions, but the majority seem to be pretty much against them!

OP posts:

NellWilsonsWhiteHair · 26/10/2018 20:52

I have a zanussi one (came with the flat - I would only have chosen a washing machine really and have never wanted or needed a drier - one adult, two youngish children fwiw).
It's ok - in spite of never having wanted one and feeling uneasy about the environmental impact, I tend to add ~30 mins of drying time on to the end of the wash most of the time. This tends to get it about halfway dry so it finishes off quickly when I hang it up over the bath, and also makes a difference to the fluffiness of towels. The washing and drying functions work independently so while I can set it to dry at the end of a wash, I can also set it not to.
Probably when I come to replace it I'll just buy a washing machine, rather than another washer-drier, but that's largely because I assume a decent washing machine is cheaper than a decent washer-drier and to me it's not worth any extra ££. But I've never really experienced hanging washing up to dry as a problem...

Lululemonade · 26/10/2018 20:54

We have one, there are good points and bad points. Important thing to remember is that you can’t dry a full load so if you wanted to completely dry both halves of the load it would take a long while... I tend to sort mine out and take anything which will dry easily and put in on my Lakeland drysoon heated airer, then run the dryer for an hour or so and once it has done that finish it off/air everything on the drysoon. It is better than nothing but nowhere near as good as a separate dryer

ConorMcGregorsChin · 26/10/2018 20:54

Hated mine. Zanussi. Absolutely pointless. Don't have the answer, unfortunately

ReverseTheFerret · 26/10/2018 20:55

Previous one was shit, the drier part was just useless... current one is actually fairly decent - not tied to doing a full wash+dry cycle - can use either function set on its own (once you decipher all the wash cycle pictures as they didn't print them on anywhere in word form).

I run a wash, pull out the stuff I don't want tumbling because I can't be fucked to iron that, shove that stuff onto an airer or radiators and then tumble dry the other stuff in the crap weather, or just use the washer part and dry outside in good weather as we don't have space for a separate tumble drier.

Valkarie · 26/10/2018 20:56

I don't have room for both, so got a John Lewis washer dryer. I have never had a tumble dryer, so don't know how it compares, but I am happy with both programs. I use the dryer mainly for sheets and towels.

Lookingforadvice123 · 26/10/2018 20:57

Mine is AEG, new this year, and it's ok, but definitely does smaller drying loads than a normal tumble (4kg I think). Washing cycle is fine but unless it's a quick wash it's over 2 hours. The dryer can only dry a small load but it doesn't take that long, 1-2 hours max.

delilahbucket · 26/10/2018 20:59

They aren't as economical as a separate washer and dryer, but I really like ours. It's a Hotpoint and is now four years old but we've not had a single issue. My mum had a Samsung and hated it.

havingabadhairday · 26/10/2018 21:01

I used one I've at it was terrible. Took his and his to wash and dry, and you really had to use the dryer as the spin on the machine was useless.

I second the dehumidifier option mentioned above. Dries clothes and also sucks up all the moisture from cooking, showering, breathing etc. We've had one a few years as it works out more environmentally friendly and cheaper to run than a tumble dryer. I've also noticed a slight reduction in how much heating we use - a dry house is easier to heat than a damp one.

To dry clothes we have this special tent thing that goes over the clothes horse and the dehumidifier goes under as well, whack it on full and leave it for a bit.

BridgeFarmKefir · 26/10/2018 21:01

Our Hoover one seems fine. If we had room we'd have separate but we don't so it does the job. Washes/dries well, either together or separately, different drying cycles so if you have a light load you don't need to opt for the 4 hour full dry option. No weird smells or anything like that.

There's only DH, myself and tiny baby though, might feel differently with a couple of kids and lots more loads of washes to do.

cadburyegg · 26/10/2018 21:02

We had a Bosch washer dryer. I loved it. It washed and dried well. It did take 5 hours to complete a full cycle but that wasn't really a problem as washing takes awhile to dry if hung up anyway. Unfortunately the bearings on the drum went after just over 3 years, engineer deemed it uneconomical to repair Sad Apparently separates are more reliable, so we've just got a washer now. I do miss my washer dryer though!

Ilovehamabeads · 26/10/2018 21:05

I don’t have any problems with my washer dryer. It’s a hotpoint Aquarius one. I only tend to use the dryer in winter/ wet weather for the same reasons you’ve mentioned. It doesn’t take hours. I do a 40min dry and most stuff is dry from that. I do still use a small airer for stuff I don’t want in the dryer but at least it’s not all over the house. The washer could be better though, there isn’t a quick refresh option so my shortest wash still takes forever.

JellyBears · 26/10/2018 21:07

I have a bendix one. Came with the flat I bought. I don’t use the dryer part because I don’t like drying clothes that way but it’s been a good washing machine.

ShotsFired · 26/10/2018 21:15

@pippa999 a slightly lateral response, but you're doing 6-7 loads for just two adults?

Is that due to (say) masses of sportswear or workwear from a dirty job?

Because if not, you could easily make life a lot easier by not washing so much of the heavy stuff so frequently.

Athena51 · 26/10/2018 21:17

I don't have room for a separate appliances in my rented flat and have a Hotpoint washer/drier. I've found it to be excellent but I don't have huge quantities of laundry.

Given the choice and space I'd go back to a separate washing machine and tumble drier but no problems currently.

Thesnobbymiddleclassone · 26/10/2018 21:20

I love mine!!

I like that the washing is just done. I do that two hang loads out on the stand (live in a flat) and I can just shove it in and it's done!

I still air dry certain items like jumpers, but it's so useful especially with children. School uniform washed and dried in about 1.5 hours!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?