Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

WIBU not to go on holiday later?

54 replies

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide · 21/10/2018 11:56

I think I know what the answer is going to be here, but I need a bit of a kick up the backside to get myself going.

Friends of ours are letting us use their static caravan near the seaside over half term. It's about 90mins drive away and we are meeting them there this evening to collect the key. It's part of a park with a swimming pool and various other facilities which will be great for the DCs. It's also in a town that we enjoy going to as a day trip and has lots of fun things to do. We plan to stay until Wednesday.

But, my mental health hasn't been great recently and I've had a really busy, stressful and emotional week. Nothing is ready for this holiday. Clothes we need aren't clean, house needs tidying before we go, and nothing is packed. And I'm totally knackered and don't want to do it.

DH is out today, (that was planned long before this break) so I'm getting things ready by myself and trying to occupy the DCs. We've had to squeeze the time away in between other commitments so we can't really go tomorrow and come back a day letter.

The DCs has a bit of a rubbish summer holiday due to my mental health being bad and some major financial worries. And a free holiday isn't something we should turn down right now. I know it WBU, but I just want to go back to bed right now

OP posts:
JeNeBaguetteRien · 21/10/2018 12:00

Sorry to hear of your struggles. I hope that you can go on holiday and enjoy it with your children.

A few things to bear in mind.
The house doesn't need to be tidied before you go.
Re the clothes, have you got enough clean clothes for the first 2 days? If yes, pack whatever else you need in a laundry bag, there will be facilities either in the caravan park or nearby.

I think you would regret not going, but you know yourself and if you really can't go that's different. 💐

ChilliHobnobs · 21/10/2018 12:03

Forget the house, take some clothes and go for it. Life will go on with an untidy house and clothes that aren't clean, your dh can wash them when you get there. Hope you do go and enjoy it.

TheStoic · 21/10/2018 12:04

The house doesn’t need to be tidy before you go. Scratch that off your to-do list.

Would it be the end of the world if you took ‘dirty’ clothes on holiday? How dirty are we talking?

Throw a bunch of clothes in your suitcase. Sit down with a cup of and give yourself a mental break. You can do this.

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide · 21/10/2018 12:05

I know I would regret not going. But the final push to get everything ready feels like too much

OP posts:
ChilliHobnobs · 21/10/2018 12:07

Even if you go with dirty clothes in a big bag, please go, it'll do you good.
Just throw some stuff in a bag, don't tidy the house and go.

Strippervicar · 21/10/2018 12:07

Can the DC 'help' to pack up? Mine's 3 and can sort laundry into light/dark. I have to check it but it helps keep her quiet. Have the tv on so they can dip in and out. Have them picking out 7 knickers, 7 trousers and stuff if they will. Get a list going.
Sod the house, get packed up and go. You'd still need to clean it when you get back as it is. Although, it's hard to put chores out of your mind if you feel down, I get like that too.

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide · 21/10/2018 12:07

DCs are 4 and 5, so their clothes are covered in food / paint / toothpaste / snot / other by the end of the day.

Mine probably smell, but I probably have enough. DH needs some more washing.

I need to get rid of the out of date stuff in the fridge and empty the bins

OP posts:
willowsmumsy · 21/10/2018 12:08

I've been there. I managed to find the energy to shove stuff in a bag and had a lovely relaxing trip.

KateGrey · 21/10/2018 12:09

Don’t worry about the state of your house. Pack what is clean and go. The kids will have a fantastic time and maybe you’ll end up feeling a bit more relaxed (well as much as you can when on holiday with kids).

Doyoumind · 21/10/2018 12:10

Agreeing with PPs here. You do not need yo tidy the house. All you need are a few clothes and toiletries. If things need washing they can be washed there. You could even get a couple of big shopping bags and chuck it all in. You don't need to spend ages packing cases.

HellenaHandbasket · 21/10/2018 12:10

Stick cbeebies on, make a cup of tea.

Order a food delivery to be delivered to holiday park.

Grab a bag,above toiletries, enough clean pants and socks for a few days, and a couple of changes of clothes. Swimmers.

Tell the kids they can each choose a couple of toys and books.

If you still have time and motivation, get a bin bag and walk around house putting rubbish in it. Give the kids anything to go to their rooms. Shove a load of washing on (to hang out or put in tumble before you go), and hoover. Anything that needs to go in dishwasher as you go along, ready to run as you leave.

Job done. Then put your feet up. That'll all take about an hour, max. If you have a car and funds, head to local junk food establishment like MaccyDs for lunch, then watch a film while waiting for dh to finish.

TheStoic · 21/10/2018 12:10

I need to get rid of the out of date stuff in the fridge and empty the bins.

That’ll take 15 minutes.

The clothes will get even dirtier on holiday and literally nobody will care. Throwing things in a bag for all of you = 15 minutes.

Tell your husband he needs to pack for himself = 30 seconds.

HellenaHandbasket · 21/10/2018 12:12

You're only going till Wednesday, don't worry about the fridge etc.

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide · 21/10/2018 12:16

Thanks everyone. I'm still in PJs (don't judge me!) so jumping into the shower. Hope that will help with motivation. Given the DCs a bag for their toys / books to take. Goodness knows what we'll end up with Grin

Will back my bag after shower.

DH is most definitely packing his own stuff, but it does need to be clean Blush And I do have to find stuff out of the bags and bags of clean washing that isn't put away. I'd get DCs to pack their own, but it hasn't made it to their cupboards

OP posts:
DropZoneOne · 21/10/2018 12:17

Ok OP, you can do this. It's a few days away. Grab a piece of paper and a pen, sit down with a cuppa and make a list of what you need to take. Clothes for 3 days, towels, swimmers, toiletries. If you'll be making packed lunches, take some Tupperware and a cool bag.

Break the list down into manageable chunks e.g. kid 1 clothes, kid 2 clothes etc.

Then get going with one chunk. Complete just that bit, stay focused. Reward yourself when you've done it - have a biscuit or 5 minutes on MN - just enough to acknowledge you've achieved something. Then move into the next chunk.

You can do this OP. Right now it just looks like a mountain to climb but it's just a few little hills, and you can get there Flowers

Penninepain · 21/10/2018 12:28

You honestly CAN do it.

C Beebies for little ones. Empthy the bins. Forget anything else, you are not going on a three month expedition - if you were staying at home you wpild not be fretting today about what us in your fridge 😊
You are there for 3 days. Stick 3 pairs of knickers, 3 pairs of dh boxers and socks, 1 pair of jeans each and a clean top each into a bag. Add toiletries - soap, toothpast, toothbrushes.
ANYTHING ELSE IS A BONUS! That is all you need to actually go (apart from kids, just pack half a dozen of anything, be it clean or mucky).
Once that is done and you know you CAN go, you can fart around to your hearts delight packing other stuff.

Honestly, we have a motorhome. I used to be anal about lists, washing, packing, food, pets, house spotless before leaving. It spoilt it all, it was so stressful.

Now, as long as I have a ckean pair of knickers to take, the dogs have some food I can stick in the fridge, and the bin gets emptied, i am off - and i have managed a 10 day holiday with 3 pairs of knickers, 2 t-shirts, a pair of shorts, a coat and some toiletries.

Came back knackered, filthy, but happy !

Go for it 👨‍👩‍👧‍👧👨‍👩‍👧‍👧👨‍👩‍👧‍👧👨‍👩‍👧‍👧

Candlelights2345 · 21/10/2018 12:28

Glad they hear you’re going. I saw the thread earlier and was going to say, sod the house, just get clothes & essentials packed and go! I like the suggestion of getting an online food delivery to where you’re staying.
I too find the prep / mental load for holidays overwhelming, but it’s always been worth it afterwards.

ohdearmissus · 21/10/2018 12:31

It is the thought of it that is overwhelming you... .The reality of just doing it is easier than you are imagining (over-thinker here empathising).

You can do it...... and will be glad that you did.
Have a lovely break.
You've got this x

crimsonlake · 21/10/2018 12:32

Another one still in their pj's, is not that what Sundays are for. Yes, leave the house, just close the door on it all for a few days. Have a fab time, you will feel so much better for a change of routine and scenery.

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide · 21/10/2018 12:41

Okay. I am squeaky clean and I no longer resemble a wookie. This is a good start Grin

We've almost run out of most things so I will stop at a shop en route to get shower gel / shampoo / deodorant etc.

All I need is our clothes, food for DDog, his bed. Whatever junk toys the DCs want to take and a few electrical bits. I've written a list. About to get the bags out. Cup of tea first?

OP posts:
HellenaHandbasket · 21/10/2018 12:45

Definitely tea. There is no panic.

TheStoic · 21/10/2018 12:46

Have a lovely time!!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

JakePeraltaNYPD · 21/10/2018 12:49

Ah I'm so happy things are going on plan for you OP! Have a nice cuppa and enjoy your holiday! Flowers

HildaZelda · 21/10/2018 12:52

Absolutely a nice cup of tea (I've turned into Mrs Doyle!), then 3 lots of underwear and socks, wear jeans and take a couple of clean tops each.
DH is packing his own stuff and then DC will bring some toys/books so that's all sorted.
You're going to pick up toiletries on route so that's sorted too.

Now, have that cuppa and the only things in the house I would bother with are: empty the bins, make the beds and clean the loo.

Hope you have a lovely time x

Ihopeyourcakeisshit · 21/10/2018 12:55

What everyone else said.
Have a lovely time. X

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.