Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

‘Keeping up with the Joneses’

4 replies

Peacockfeathers789 · 20/10/2018 19:11

I hate this phrase. My DH has started referring to it when I want to do anything remotely different with DS or anything that might cost a bit more money.

But when I think about it, sometimes it is that Blush. For example I do WANT to give my DS experiences that will make his childhood memorable, and I want him to live a fulfilled life. But my judgment of what that entails is sometimes wrongly influenced by what others are doing with their children.

Is there anything that you either currently do or have done in the past that has even a hint of ‘Keeping up with the Joneses’, that you can admit you wouldn’t ordinarily do?

OP posts:
ShinyPinkLipgloss · 20/10/2018 19:42

Definitely not!

I take my son to weekly swimming lessons because I think swimming is an essential life skill. He also goes to karate because it’s something he’s interested in and I think it’s important that he can defend himself.

In terms of day trips we tend to go to places that have some sort of interest for us all (eg safari park /zoo) although sometimes we sit through awful films at the cinema (that he lives!)

I quite honestly couldn’t care less what others are up to.

LynetteScavo · 20/10/2018 19:44

Going to Disneyland Paris. Not because I wanted to (I'd been a few times before D.C.) but because everybody else was going.

We actually had a brilliant time and I want to go back again next year

Maybe83 · 20/10/2018 19:47

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anniehm · 20/10/2018 20:36

Probably, but subconsciously rather than deliberately. If it's something that you feel will benefit your child and you can afford it then fine - just don't get into debt or get over stressed trying to fit in extra curricular activities.

The best thing we can do for kids is spend time with them - my now grown kids still ask to play boardgames, go for walks and (lately) go to see castles/stately homes, the first two are close to free.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.