Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Smoking weed around my kids!

4 replies

han9051990 · 17/10/2018 14:05

Need to know if I’m being unreasonable here…

My younger brother (26) still lives at the family home. We get on fine now but haven't always got on that well. Since a young age he has always been pretty off the rails - goes out constantly, takes drugs, smokes weed daily, off sick from work all the time (family business - my mum employs him), in trouble with the police from time to time, etc etc. I’m close to my Mum and Dad as are my 3 kids, we live a few minutes away so spend a fair amount of time there. The other day, I went to my mum's with my 8 week old baby. My brother came downstairs to say hello then went back up to his bedroom. A few mins later I went out of the living room and noticed the overwhelming smell of weed in the hallway, he was smoking it upstairs. I told my mum I had to go as I couldn't really have my baby son breathing that in. So I left and nothing more was said, but to be honest it really annoyed me that he would do that without a care for the wellbeing of his nephew. Anyway my parents keep offering to have my older children to sleep over, which is so lovely and my kids love staying there, but now I know he smokes in the house, especially weed, I don’t want them to be there without me. I want to tell my mum and dad that I don’t feel comfortable with it, but I don’t want to hurt their feelings or cause any tension. I feel that if I make a point of my children not staying there because of my brother, they will take it as me criticising them or a kind of ‘choose me or him’ situation. What would you do? Am I being really over protective?

OP posts:
ZigZagIntoTheBlue · 17/10/2018 14:07

You're not being overprotective and I wouldn't have it either. I used to smoke a lot, tempted every now and again to pick up a small amount to have of a weekend evening but knowing as I do how the smell travels I wouldn't dare!
Say no, tell them why.

Thisreallyisafarce · 17/10/2018 14:10

Of course your children can't stay in a house where people smoke weed.

Usernumbers1234 · 17/10/2018 14:12

I’m the biggest pro legalisation advocate I know and I’ve been on plenty of threads here “debating” with the many naive people that still buy into “reefer madness” on MN.

But that’s a complete no-no. You don’t smoke in a house that kids come to even when they aren’t there, let alone when they are.

your parents should understand, and frankly they shouldn’t be letting him smoke there now anyway, why can’t he go outside?

Usernumbers1234 · 17/10/2018 14:14

Edit - that’s not to say he should go outside when the kids are there. I don’t have an issue with him smoking outside when they aren’t, but not in a house that young children frequent.

you are absolutely right not to let them stay until this has been resolved

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.