My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask if you think an Air bnb might accept a cancellation even with a strict policy?

6 replies

Marlboroughlights1 · 17/10/2018 10:24

We booked somewhere abroad next July 2019. I didn't realise the owner carried a strict policy - I rarely use Air bnb - but today we have to cancel the whole trip, because of an ill friend, and I saw the policy. I've thrown myself on their mercy - it's such a long way off. Do you think there's a chance they'll refund the total amount?

OP posts:
Satsumaeater · 17/10/2018 10:27

In theory I think they should accept the cancellation because they'll almost certainly be able to relet the accommodation with so much notice.

But how do you know now that you can't go - or is the friend travelling and already knows they won't be able to go because their treatment won't be finished etc? In which case, they could claim on their insurance? And you may be able to claim on yours, as it is a travelling companion?

Marlboroughlights1 · 17/10/2018 10:29

yes, it's about treatment. But no we can't claim. Complicated

OP posts:
tillytrotter1 · 17/10/2018 11:14

They don't have to, it's not their fault that you didn't read the conditions beforehand, but they may refund eventually if they can re-let the accommodation, less the costs of the re-posting, Good luck with it.

ElainaElephant · 17/10/2018 11:17

The owner might not refund, but Airbnb might do something.

I had to cancel a one night stay on the day as my flight had been cancelled due to fog. Despite being past the refund policy, and not expecting anything, Airbnb have me a credit on my account to the value that I could use on my next trip.

I was delighted.

TatianaLarina · 17/10/2018 11:25

What I do is give the required 50% and say that if we manage to rebook the dates we give you the full amount. At this distance they probably will and we have always been able to rebook and refund the full amount for a cancellation this far in advance.

They’re not obliged to though. And some places will refund you minus admin costs.

EnglishGirlApproximately · 17/10/2018 11:27

Are you able to claim on your travel insurance?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.