Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think my daughter my have ADHD?

3 replies

recoveryishard · 14/10/2018 10:29

It has been bought to my attention that my daughters behaviour could caused by ADHD. She is now 7 and is becoming increasingly active, bouncing around the house and rolling on the floor and furniture, she doesn't listen, can't follow instructions, constantly looses things, can't concentrate on school work, interrupts conversation ALL the time, can seem to ever relax making bedtime a nightmare and constantly fidgets.

School tested her for dyslexia last week but she passed that, however they said her concentration was poor and she just kept going on about something irrelevant to the task.

I myself have bipolar, anxiety and depression so am obviously freaking out slightly!!

Where is my first port of call? School? GP? Mental health nurse (I have my own do could ask). TBH school aren't really great, currently under special measures after an awful OFSTED. If I go to the GP do I take her with me? I feel it may upset her.

I am finding her Behaviour increasingly difficult to control and with my poor mental health it makes it harder. Her constant bounding around the exhausting and makes my agitation worse.

Can't talk to her dad as we are not getting along at the moment, he only has EOW contact so doesn't really see an issue!

What do I do??

Thanks.

OP posts:
recoveryishard · 14/10/2018 10:39

She also looses her temper frequently and has tantrums when she doesn't get her own way!

OP posts:
WeaselsRising · 14/10/2018 10:45

First call is GP, without DD, to ask for a referral. Might help if you could record some of her behaviour on your phone to show GP. Make a note of every concern you have and take it with you.

Our SENCO also provided a report for the GP describing my DD's behaviour and difficulties at school. They don't always believe parents but they will go by what school says.

They may insist you do a parenting class. Mine didn't, but I have heard of others that have. I specifically requested a class, which I think went in our favour. It was really useful too.

Good luck.

Juanbablo · 14/10/2018 10:49

The school SENCO referred ds1 to CAMHS but you can go through your GP. Luckily we didn't have too long of a wait (8 months I think). Good luck with it all. There are some good charities out there that can support you through it all.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.