My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

...to leave my job at 20 weeks pregnant?

11 replies

Puggles123 · 11/10/2018 07:48

For some background, I would qualify for SMP by the skin of my teeth as I am still fairly new to the job, but due to the nature of the job and my pregnancy so far I have been signed off for weeks. Due to several reasons (which may be outing) I am doubtful I will be able to go back before maternity leave, and am not planning to go back afterwards. Work have been as accomodating as they can, but the issues cannot be resolved- and I don’t want the stress of keep getting signed off and worrying about it, or to be problematic for work as they have been good to me.

Therefore, AIBU to quit? I would qualify for Maternity Allowance as I have been employed without a gap for the past 13 years and have earnt above their stipulated weekly amount; and I am fortunate enough to have savings and a supportive partner. I have spoken to a few agencies who would be happy to try and find me work for 3 months or so (I would have to give a months notice still), but in a more suitable role. Even a Christmas job with random hours would be okay- technically I would be able to survive without one financially, but best case scenario. I know I am standing to lose money through SMP etc, but I think it is fairer on myself and my employer in the long run, especially as I haven’t been with them too long and am not planning on going back.

Has anyone else done similar? Is it is a stupid idea?

OP posts:
FrazzyAndFrumpled · 11/10/2018 07:51

No advice but just wanted to say sorry that you’ve not been feeling well Flowers hopefully someone with something more helpful to say will be along shortly.

MilkItTilITurnItIntoCheese · 11/10/2018 07:51

I left a job as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I had had trouble conceiving and hated the job. I just didn’t want the stress of being there. Once I felt better after morning sickness eased I temped until I was ready to go on maternity leave (I wasn’t going back either and like you it was financially doable).
If you can manage with lower money then do what’s best for you and your baby. Good luck.

anappleadaykeeps · 11/10/2018 07:59

Would your current employer be able to find you some other work (maybe like what you have been talking to the Agency about) for you to do - maybe working from home, or? Is there a one-off project you could do for them?

How big is your employer? If they are a large firm, then they will be able to accommodate someone off work more easily than - eg - a firm with just 4-5 employees.

I would personally try to stay employed by them to qualify for SMP. A large company would totally expect that would be what you do in the circumstances. While you are off, are you being paid sick pay, or full salary?

Puggles123 · 11/10/2018 08:28

FrazzyandFrumpled- thank you Smile

Milkitturnittocheese- ah cool, good to hear that someone else has done something similar, guessing it was successful! Did you have any issues in getting MA?

Anappleadaykeeps- unfortunately they have done all they can, due to the nature of the role though there isn’t anything more they can do to accommodate. I am on full pay, so there wouldn’t be an issue getting SMP even if I was to be signed off, but I feel this isn’t particularly fair.

OP posts:
fraggle84 · 11/10/2018 08:49

I would have a talk with your gp and asked to be signed off until start of maternity

You have to do what's best for yourself and your baby not your employer

RaeRae2010 · 11/10/2018 09:10

I thought you had to be self employed to get MA? I'd check first.

Puggles123 · 11/10/2018 11:10

I phoned them and you can as long as you aren’t receiving SMP from anywhere- you just have to have been in work for x number or weeks in the last x months, and earning over £30 a week.

OP posts:
RaeRae2010 · 11/10/2018 11:38

That's good news. I just started receiving my MA and it's £145 pw which I'm pretty happy with. It did take a while to sort out though and they only offered me the standard £27 pw at first so I called HMRC to see the outstanding balance on class 2 national insurance and it was only £37,so I paid that the same day and they backdated the rest of what I was owed within a few weeks.
Good luck with your pregnancy OP 😊🍀

divadee · 11/10/2018 11:48

I would stick it out (getting signed off) for the next 8 weeks and then start maternity leave. The way I look at it, most companies wouldn't think twice of getting rid of you like a shot and sometimes you have to look after your best interests.

Get signed off, go on maternity leave, when you get to the 9 month mark tell them you wont be coming back.

Sunshinegirl82 · 11/10/2018 11:51

If your sick pay remains at full pay for a while then to be honest I'd just remain off sick and then take mat leave at the earliest available opportunity. You have to prioritise yourself in these situations.

Puggles123 · 11/10/2018 16:01

I’ll phone the doctor tomorrow and see what they say, I never usually have time off but now I have someone else to think about it’s important.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.