Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

That I shouldn't have to tip

11 replies

PlaidPjamas · 09/10/2018 16:46

Staying in a hotel with huge luggage, checking in and informed there is no lift, nor any rooms on the 1st floor (what airport hotel expecting luggage has no lift??).

Anyway I have zero cash on me so I say that's fine. Reception says they'll get someone to help with luggage, I say no I just will do it myself, they insist, I say no it's fine I'll do it myself. They wander off and I politely but pensively stand there for a few minutes but then say to other receptionist "I have no money for a tip, I really want to just take my luggage to my room myself please tell them".

I then go to the stairs and do 3/4 of them before a man runs up behind me and lifts the bag the last 3 steps. It's on wheels so I say "that's ok I don't need help", "no no" he insists it's a long corridor! He then witters on about terminals and buses and taxi costs (I don't give a shit my colleague had sorted transport) imparting wisdom to earn a bigger tip WHICH I DONT HAVE.

Awkward moment where he stands expectantly in my room and say nothing. Then he leaves.

A - I had no flipping money
B - I cart around hay bales all day I can carry a bag
C - I HATE unknown men in my room (I know it's harmless but it raises my threat level).

So AIBU to now feel pissed off I look like a tight arse to the staff and seriously consider saying to reception on the way out that if someone says they don't want help don't force it on them!!

OP posts:
LoopyLemonade · 09/10/2018 16:49

I would be the same, he might not have expected a tip? But when you've said no thanks a dozen times people should take the hint. I'd say politely to reception that it's good the staff are helpful but it's overbearing when you ask them no thanks, they should respect that.

VerbeenaBeeks · 09/10/2018 16:50

Where are you? In the UK, you don't have to tip. So not being U in the slightest.

bridgetreilly · 09/10/2018 16:50

I don't know why you waited around at reception? Just take your bag and carry it.

MemoryOfSleep · 09/10/2018 16:51

Yanbu.

VerbeenaBeeks · 09/10/2018 16:51

Plus wittering on and badgering you after you've said you don't have any is just bloody rude.

SputnikBear · 09/10/2018 16:51

YANBU. They should have let you carry your own bags if you wanted to. And the porter was BU to expect a tip for wheeling one bag along the corridor.

adaline · 09/10/2018 16:51

Why did you refuse their offer and then stand about waiting?

AnastasiaaBeaverhousen · 09/10/2018 16:55

Just tip all in one go on the last day.

SpoonBlender · 09/10/2018 17:07

Location? Makes a huge difference for local tipping culture. In the UK the porter wouldn't be expecting a tip and would just be trying to be helpful.

JessieLemon · 09/10/2018 17:13

Where did this happen?

If the U.K. don’t worry at all. Zero expectation of a tip.

PlaidPjamas · 09/10/2018 19:46

I'm at Heathrow he was definitely doing the "I want a tip" pause, don't leave face.

Adaline no idea, British politeness as she was ignoring my clear directions and going off to organise help. Took a few moments for me to gather myself and tell the other member of staff (again) I wanted to carry my own bloody bag.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.