Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To remove the door from my guest room/study

84 replies

EamesElephant · 08/10/2018 14:30

And replace it with a curtain?

When the room isn’t being used by guests it’s my study but it is very snug and getting to the desk means shimmying round the door. It’s a pain in the arse tbh. I can’t rehang the door because of the shape of the space.

The room is tucked round a corner at the end of the house we don’t really go to otherwise so there being a curtain rather than a door won’t really impact privacy too much for our guests and would make the room far more comfortable for me.

WIBU to change the door to a curtain? I don’t think it would bother me to stay in a room with a curtain instead of a door but don’t know about others.

OP posts:
Mookatron · 08/10/2018 14:32

Could you do a sliding/folding door? No good ever came of removing doors in my view .

FannyFlapping · 08/10/2018 14:33

Do whatever works best for your house, OP.

The door to my second bedroom (guest room) doesn't shut properly but it's an original Georgian door with stained glass so I've kept it. I'd rather have a beautiful old door that doesn't shut properly than a plain non-original that shuts.

My MIL who visits twice per year is not happy.

Fuck her - it's my house and I've done what's best for me living here.

Redglitter · 08/10/2018 14:33

I'd definitely go for a folding or sliding door rather than a curtain.

Certainly as a guest staying with someone I'd hate just a curtain

RenaissanceBunny · 08/10/2018 14:34

Could you get half doors? As in a normal door split vertically - it would make it easier to get to your desk. As I guest I'd really like a door mostly from the noise point of view.

SpoonBlender · 08/10/2018 14:35

It's not going to work as a guest bedroom if you do, for sure - 95% of people will be "err... no".

Can you flip the door so it hinges any of the other three ways and have it make sense?

FannyFlapping · 08/10/2018 14:37

How often do you have guests OP?

hibbledibble · 08/10/2018 14:39

Whatever works for you op. As a guest I wouldn't be particularly bothered by curtains, but others may feel differently. I assume you don't have guests very regularly, so therefore every day use is more important.

SuchAToDo · 08/10/2018 14:45

Can you have the door open outwards (open in to your landing/hallway rather than open inwards into the bedroom)...

Or maybe have sliding or folding doors,

I would hate to be a guest with just a curtain instead of a door,

CuriousaboutSamphire · 08/10/2018 14:48

Curtain.

Your every day use is more important than an occasional visitor - especially as the curtain will accord privacy.

But you might want to consider keeping the door for ease of eventual refitting!

Mookatron · 08/10/2018 14:49

Or if it's round a corner could you move the door round the corner and make the room longer (obviously saying this without any knowledge of your house!)?

TeeBee · 08/10/2018 14:51

Lordy, as a guest, I'd hate a curtain instead of a door. I'd feel exposed the whole time I was there. Can you just rehang it when people come to stay? Or is there room for a barn-type sliding door?

lalalalyra · 08/10/2018 14:53

We did that, but the only guests we ever have tend to have our room and we have the guest room anyway so it didn't make a difference to the guests.

If you have guests who use it regularly then a folding door, or turning it to open out the way would be better. There will be a difference in privacy noise wise between a door and a curtain.

seventhgonickname · 08/10/2018 14:53

Folding door,looks like an ordinary door when closed.Wouldnt take up more room than a curtain.

Luxembourgmama · 08/10/2018 14:54

Your use is more important than guests. Sure plenty of people don't have guest rooms. Better a room with a curtain than the couch.

steppemum · 08/10/2018 14:56

blimey, whats wrong with a curtain?

As a guest, in a room at the end round a corner, a curtain would be fine.

HopeAndJoy16 · 08/10/2018 14:57

Our guests had a door just propped against the frame for the 3 years it took us to rehang it Blush we don't have overnight guests very often though, and our families are obviously very forgiving. It wouldn't bother me not to have a door and think it's the day to day use which matters more.

ifonly4 · 08/10/2018 14:58

It's your house, you have to do what works for you. As long as it's a thick curtain so you can't see through it, that's fine. We had our old house for 19 years, had only two bedrooms and the only places for DM and DMIL to sleep was lounge/diner - they'd get woken up by DH at 6am as he needed something to eat his breakfast. Didn't stop them staying!!

TimeIhadaNameChange · 08/10/2018 15:00

I'd be fine with a curtain, especially if it was nice and heavy (so gave the appearance of being 'solid'). But I sleep with my door wide open all the time, even when we have guests over (because otherwise my cat will scratch the door in the early hours and wake me up).

EamesElephant · 08/10/2018 15:02

Hanging the door the other way wouldn't work - it would block what little width there is in the glorified cupboard room, and we can't hang it to open out into the hallway because of the other stuff around it.

In terms of privacy/noise it would still be absolutely fine as it really is tucked away at the end of the house compared to everything else - all that's around it is hallways (odd layout, we have a long hallway leading to this room and everything else is at the other end of the hallway).

I could put on a bifold door/saloon style ones but was looking for something I could do myself (on the cheap). I can do a curtain pole - hanging a new door is beyond my skills.

OP posts:
Goldangel · 08/10/2018 15:07

We have an awkward door room too and fitted this folding door from Wickes, good price, works great and looks fine, better than a curtain.

www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Woburn-White-Moulded-6-Panel-Internal-Bi-Fold-Door/p/9000187558

meercat23 · 08/10/2018 15:10

Could you put a door across the hallway outside the spare room instead? This depends on whether I am imagining the layout correctly Grin

chocatoo · 08/10/2018 15:12

I would feel uncomfortable with a curtain.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Jux · 08/10/2018 15:15

Curtain.

EamesElephant · 08/10/2018 15:15

I realised I have been remiss in not providing a diagram. This is the general gist of how far it is from the rest of our space (odd layout). It's really not feasible to move or rehang the door, much as that would make most sense.

Can you get bifold doors that don't have panels? None of my doors have panels and a quick google shows me they don't exist in the UK.

To remove the door from my guest room/study
OP posts:
ConsiderHerWaysAndOthers · 08/10/2018 15:17

Do it if it works best for you and your study but don’t expect guests to sleep there. I’d feel really uncomfortable even if the room was at the end of a hallway. Either make an alternative plan for where guests can sleep, fit a sliding door, or hang a door somewhere in the hallway instead.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.