Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask about the UKCAT test

6 replies

Whyohwhy1235 · 07/10/2018 22:50

My niece wants to do medicine and recently sat this test She obtained an average score but it’s limited the Universities she can apply to
Had a look at some sample questions and they seem extremely difficult
Anyone had experience of this test or know someone who has taken the test?

OP posts:
cannycat20 · 07/10/2018 23:03

Hi, you might get more responses on the studentroom website for this one.

This web article also has some very useful links at the bottom for resources including a link to the studentroom - www.bma.org.uk/connecting-doctors/community_focus/b/roadtomedschool/posts/my-experience-with-the-ukcat

Best of luck to your niece.

Whyohwhy1235 · 08/10/2018 08:14

Thanks Canny ! Anyone else?

OP posts:
Fibbertigibbet · 08/10/2018 08:19

I have taken the test three times (I have always scored well in it, but as a graduate applicant who could only afford a 4 year course it took me that many goes to get a score that was high enough for the more competitive graduate entry programmes). It is hard, but definitely easier in comparison to other entrance tests like the GAMSAT or BMAT.

Some universities are really UKCAT heavy and that is the main draw to interview, but others take a more holistic approach to applications (for example weighting the personal statement very highly), so an average score does not preclude applying, but I often recommend applicants who think they have done badly to give the BMAT a shot if they are someone with triple science and maths, as it will give them a leg up in a difficult exam against the other candidates, and doesn't put all your eggs in one basket.

Good luck to your niece, I'm sure she will be fine.

CherryPavlova · 08/10/2018 08:46

My daughter took the test. She is now a doctor and so we know many, many youngsters who passed. Our son used the practice books to prepare for military officer recruitment psychometric testing and passed too?

Your daughter needs to look at various universities admission criteria and slant her applications towards the ones that focus less on UKCAT. Has she sat BMAT? Some find it easier but it tends to be linked to more prestigious universities.

It is hard, undoubtedly but then medical schools have many many students with 3 or more As at A levels applying and need to filter somehow. That’s where a real analysis of the admission process is vital to play to your strengths. Some interview, some dont, some place greater weight on supplementary processes (like Nottingham), some still (I think) admit on 2As and a B.

Whyohwhy1235 · 08/10/2018 09:02

Cherry- I guess that must be the reason the CAT exists now- as so many school students get As?
Didn’t realise that before but come to think of it so many of her friends got As

OP posts:
CherryPavlova · 08/10/2018 19:48

Yes lots of children. My daughter is 9 years post application and she studied in a cohort of 120 students - so quite small. All had at least 3As at A level. Probably the same at every other medical school with many with those grades being rejected - I think it was about 1:14 rejected from her course.
There are online tutored preparation courses (Might be Kaptest we used). It helped with abstract reasoning and gave good tips. There are also good practice books and it’s definitely not true you can’t improve your score with practice.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.