My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to think my dd just became a toddler cliche?

21 replies

SisterSledgeHammer · 07/10/2018 10:51

DD is 18 months old. This morning she has drawn on the landing wall and smeared sudacream over her brother, the cat, and the sofa.

Her brother is 2 1/2 and has never sold himself into this sort of cliche toddler behaviour!

AIBU to think DD is a generic brand toddler, manufactured in bulk in the toddler factory and sold in a huge warehouse style store.

OP posts:
AlphaBravo · 07/10/2018 10:53

Did you get her on sale at John Lewis clearance? They always have faulty ones in the January sales.

SisterSledgeHammer · 07/10/2018 11:12

We got her after the January sales but maybe I missed the batch recall notification.

OP posts:
Jezzifishie · 07/10/2018 12:19

My small child wears wellies with every outfit, which I believe is also a cliche. She chose her clothes this morning - party dress, tights and bright yellow wellies. (We're not going to a party). She was obviously being sold off cheap before Christmas Wink

Ozgirl75 · 07/10/2018 12:47

My first DS was a boy cliche. Despite being given a wide variety of toys (kitchen, cars, games etc), he was only ever interested in cars, sticks and mud. He loved his toy pram but only because it was, in his mind, a racing car. It did change by 4/5 and now his favourite thing is making up dance routines.

DS2 has come from a more nuanced bespoke mould though.

Idontbelieveinthemoon · 07/10/2018 12:49

I believe DS1 became a defective toddler model when he started potty training and pooped in a shoe. Sainsburys would never offer me a refund on him though.

TomHardysNextWife · 07/10/2018 12:54

My youngest granddaughter is just 2.

Her nickname is The Hooligan.

For very good reason.

Her finest hour was getting an industrial sized tub of Sudocrem and redecorating DDs living room in it. Sofa, carpet, walls, curtains and patio doors. And herself. DD is the most chilled parent I've ever known and literally has the patience of a saint but even she lost it this time and it took about 2 days to get it all off and about a month to get the grease out of DGDs curly hair. It needs a childproof lid in my opinion.

She definitely came from the toddler cliche factory. As a factory second Grin

Normaknowall · 07/10/2018 14:21

Highlighter pen used all over Granny's new wallpaper, and her foundation used to draw a goal post on the carpet, and the wall. Other wall had the lipstick one. 2&3.
They are 19 &18 now but she does bring it up regularly.

Older one filled damp parental wellies in the hall with powdered milk powder and a scoop. Leftover powder went into dads slippers.
Cars for one, everywhere underfoot, dinosaurs & sticks for the other usually in pockets in washing machine.

Think we got them from ASDA discontinued home range.

Did anyone else have the refusing to keep their clothes on stage? They were about 3 I think. Everything removed as soon as they got indoors. Then about 8 refusal to show even an ankle without covering. Boys are weird.

SisterSledgeHammer · 07/10/2018 15:08

DS was definitely a one off bespoke model toddler. We got smug and thought we could get the same again. How wrong we were!!

This one is definitely off the bargain shelf.

The cat is looking shinier/more gelled than she usually does! It really should have a childproof lid... until the day you're trying to get some on a wriggly toddlers arse and then wed by crying "it needs an easy open flicky lid".

OP posts:
SisterSledgeHammer · 07/10/2018 15:09

We haven't had the clothes refusal stage but if every other toddler is doing it, I'm sure DD will get the memo at the appropriate age!

OP posts:
DrDiva · 07/10/2018 15:41

It needs a childproof lid in my opinion.
For a minute there I thought you meant the toddler.

I’m in agreement either way.

Fridaydreamer · 07/10/2018 16:04

DD was also from the cliche beach of the pink and sparkly department. I tried and failed to get her repaired. Luckily with an extra decade of wear and tear she’s now veering towards an entire wardrobe of black tendencies also at least that’s better Grin

Fridaydreamer · 07/10/2018 16:05

*batch not beach 🤦🏻‍♀️

SparkyBlue · 07/10/2018 20:32

@Ozgirl75 I think I currently have a duplicate of your DS. He has a peppa pig dolls buggy which has become some sort of assault vehicle.

SisterSledgeHammer · 07/10/2018 22:41

Fridaydreamer, your cliche toddler became a cliche teenager...is this brand of human generic for life?

OP posts:
Fridaydreamer · 08/10/2018 09:05

Sadly @SisterSledgeHammer it’s true. She also comes with the full eye roll pack that includes free stomping off and claims of unfairness. Apparently “nobody understands” this model either so it looks like it’s stuck in this mode for a few more years yet 🙄

Unihorn · 08/10/2018 09:14

My almost 2 year old is definitely generic. She throws herself down on the floor with an impressive flourish when I refuse to give her biscuits for breakfast. She also searches for something to throw dramatically to accompany this performance.

ImSoExhausted · 08/10/2018 09:28

My DS2 came straight from the poem,
'There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very very good, but when she was bad, she was horrid!' Just had a bit of a gender switch 😭

DS1 is also a bit generic, his finest hour was probably throwing my lush bath bombs down the toilet (for anyone who's interested, excellent toilet cleaners and smell incredible. Just quite expensive)

Osirus · 08/10/2018 09:51

My toddler daughter will only wear clothes she had picked out. And she has to put them on herself. This includes nighttime so sometimes wears day clothes to bed. I can usually persuade her to pick something comfortable however.

She refused to let me put her nappy on over the weekend. The one I chose wasn’t good enough and she stormed to the drawer to get her own and put it on herself (nappy pants).

She’s amazing and so clever but does drive me mad!

Hoppinggreen · 08/10/2018 09:56

Like other people we believed that dd was the generic “absolutely no trouble” model and assumed given the same raw materials and manufacturing process any subsequent purchases would be the same.
Enter DS, who I think must have come from the middle aisle in Aldi
(Love him to bits though)

NorthernRunner · 08/10/2018 10:00

I have a January sales dd also, although no longer a toddler she has plastered sudocrem all over herself (please see below evidence)
She also has been known to eat cat food and cover said cats in stickers and hair slides.
Wellies are a regular feature in her OOTD, as are sunglasses and all sorts of headwear.
Wouldn’t change her for the world though!!

to think my dd just became a toddler cliche?
SisterSledgeHammer · 08/10/2018 19:31

Ah.. eating cat food... that's another fault I discovered in my second purchase!

And foot stomping, I have no idea where she learned to foot stomp so it's definitely a factory fault.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.