Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think its a waste of dd's money?

4 replies

upsideup · 25/09/2018 19:31

DD1 has just turned 23, she lives here and also rents a room in elsewhere which she needs for work and stays in 1-3 nights a week. She desperately wants to move out and get her own place there, the plan was this could happen by the end of 2019, once she had saved £A we were going to give her £2A.

We have an annexe which we have always said can be hers and she is welcome to move into it and do what she likes. Its in livable condition and once she moved her stuff in and bought a few little things would be fine but it doesnt look great and could do with a lot of work to make it nice as it could be, our plan eventually to sort it out ourselves but not 5+ years .

She told us last night that she has decided to make the annexe her project, I don't know exactly what she wants to do or how much its going to cost but yet but it will be a big chunk of her current savings which seems like a waste of her money.

She is still saying she wants to move now the beginning of 2020 and will have much less savings so will not be somewhere as nice as she could get if she didn't work on the annexe and she will only get less than a year living where she spent so much time and money making nice. She is so excited by this idea though, I don't remember the last time she seemed so excited by something.

AIBU to think this is a terrible idea and just a complete waste of her money and to strongly discourage or actually stop her even though I said it could be hers and she is so excited?

OP posts:
BackforGood · 26/09/2018 00:31

I guess it depends what you mean by 'a lot of work'

If you are talking about re roofing / replacing windows / rewiring / etc, then it seems like a strange thing for her to spend her money, improving your property.

OTOH, if you are talking about a good clearout, cleaning the windows, painting the walls and putting up some pictures / curtains / a few accessories, then it seems like a sensible plan that won't cost much.

Blameanamechange · 26/09/2018 00:37

Does she want to put her own mark on it? If its decorating yes but otherwise its a waste. Surely she has to have your agreement first anyway?

SleepingStandingUp · 26/09/2018 00:37

If she's going to spend her mowny fixing up a property which belongs to you and which you would have fixed up, are you able to giveg her the money / a budget now but let her do all the hard work or give her so. E extra money for it when she moves?

Seems unfair for her to spend 10k doing up a part of your home that you could then sell and spend the profits of

CoughLaughFart · 26/09/2018 00:39

I’m confused. Is she going to keep renting the room too? Maybe use some punctuation.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.