My feed

to access all these features


AIBU to go to Interview?

17 replies

Theredtoyphone · 24/09/2018 22:36

I’ve been working part-time since I returned from Maternity Leave a couple of months ago. I wasn’t enjoying my job prior to ML but obviously it wasn’t a sensible time to leave. The plan was always that I would return to FT work after a few months. We have 2 DCs age 6 and 1. I applied for a job a few weeks ago and have an interview tomorrow. It’s closer to home, better salary, but FT. I don’t feel that my DC is ready for FT nursery yet (and I don’t want to do this yet). DH says I should cancel interview as I’m wasting their time. I think it’s worth going as it will give me an idea of expectations at interview at this level (promoted post) and also, if I did get it, they might be willing to offer a job share post? AIBU for going and potentially just wasting their time? Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, the “return” option doesn’t appear to be working on my phone.

OP posts:
positivepixie · 24/09/2018 23:00

If you knew when you applied that you didn't want a FT job, why didn't you ask at the time ('a few weeks ago') whether PT or job share was an option? Is there still time tomorrow to ask before the interview? It is absolutely a waste of their time otherwise if you know already you're going to turn it down! I would be annoyed as an interviewer if I realised you were actually never going to take the job. It takes a lot of time to get a panel together, prep questions, discuss candidates afterwards and select.

Theredtoyphone · 24/09/2018 23:14

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. We always planned for me to return to FT work around now. (Youngest DC age 1/fairly settled in nursery 2.5 days) However, I think the interview and having to think about what it would be like for the DCs has made me realise that actually ideally PT for another 6 months would be best.

OP posts:
littleblackno · 24/09/2018 23:20

Go for the interview, as you say you will get the experience which will do no harm at all. I don’t think it is wasting anyone’s time. The interview is as much about deciding if you like the look of them as them offering you a job. If you are successful ask if there is any chance of pt hours. What’s your current notice period? You may find it’ll be months before you’d be in the new job anyway?

positivepixie · 24/09/2018 23:32

Ok so I understand that you've changed your mind but still think you'd do yourself a favour by being upfront before the interview. That way, they can make their decision with all the facts infront of them rather than let them make what might be a difficult decision only to be told that you're not interested. To be honest, I would take you off my future potential candidate list if you messed me about like that!

Tokelau · 24/09/2018 23:43

Years ago, I went for an interview for a full time job, when I had a young child. I asked if the hours were flexible, and they offered me four days a week, 8.00 - 3.00. It's worth going to the interview and asking if they are flexible.

Goostacean · 24/09/2018 23:50

Always, always go to the interview. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. You can discuss flexible working options (maybe I’m a CF but I’d do it once I had the offer!), and - like you say- find out about expectations etc. In my view, that’s just business; they don’t want to “waste time” then they can not hold interviews at all. Not your problem. Go for it! Good luck :)

Disquieted1 · 24/09/2018 23:55

Go to the interview and tell them nothing. You don't owe them a thing. When you go for a job there is only one time when you have any power - the time between being offered a role and accepting it. That's when you negotiate, not now. Keep Schtum.

GemmeFatale · 25/09/2018 00:17

Some places take bloody ages to make an offer, sort the paperwork and actually get you in the door. By the time they do all that you may well be ready for full time, or close enough

Theredtoyphone · 25/09/2018 14:25

Bit of a mix of responses.. I had thought I’d not say anything.. and then deal with it IF I happened to get the job.. but that may just be head burying on my part. As if I don’t even get the job then it wouldn’t make a difference?

OP posts:
ahYerWill · 25/09/2018 14:46

My current job I interviewed in March and had a starting date in August. They would have waited longer for me if I'd asked them to. If It's just a matter of months before you're happy to go ft, then they may well be happy to wait, or do an initial period of pt whilst you are getting up to speed on the role.

easterholidays · 25/09/2018 14:52

Go to the interview, and if they make you an offer you can have the conversation then. As PP have said, they don't owe you anything and the advice is always to wait until you are in the strongest possible position (i.e. you know they want you) before you start to negotiate anything (hours, salary, holiday). And if you can make a commitment that you intend to step up to FT within x months then I can't imagine an employer who otherwise thinks you're a good fit for the role wouldn't be willing to consider it. And if they don't, you don't want to work for them!

Jobhunting can entail a certain amount of feeling like a CF. But employers are only in it to ensure the best possible outcome for their business, so you have to make sure you're doing the same for yourself.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone · 25/09/2018 14:54

I think it is a little rude to be honest and am tending to side with you DH.

If they thought it could be done on a part time basis or if they wanted to split the role into a job share they would have advertised as such. It also seems cheeky to ask as by advertising as FT some people might not have applied as they naturally assumed the role required FT hours.

I personally think it would be a waste of their time as they are assuming the role they are offering is the role you are looking to take up.

Goostacean · 25/09/2018 15:40

OP, you’re completely right! It’s fine!

No one cares about your career, development, or frankly life as much as you do. Take the opportunity, learn from it regardless of the interview outcome, and if it seems like you might like to work there and you get an offer- negotiate! Don’t concern yourself with feeling sorry or bad for a business- an entity without feelings!

Makes me so frustrated to see people (usually women, let’s be honest) being (told to be) wallflowers about their work. You have nothing to lose. Good luck!

IChangedMyNameBcozIWasHigh · 25/09/2018 15:41

Honestly go for it.
also - if it’s a public sector role the checks could take an age. DH has just started a new job in our local hospital- he was interviewed and offered the post in May.

PecanPastry · 25/09/2018 15:43

Go to the interview, chalk it up to experience if nothing else - all for one, and one for all when it comes to work - Good Luck :)

MeredithGrey1 · 25/09/2018 15:43

I think you should go, an interview isn't a promise you'll accept the job anymore than its a promise that they'll offer it to you. I agree with what Easterholidays said, they are in it for the best outcome for their business and you need to be in it for the best outcome for you.

The only situation where I wouldn't go is if you think this might be a company you will want to apply for in the future, in which case I'd be upfront because if you turn down a job once and then apply a year later, they'll probably be less interested.

BelindaTheBadger · 25/09/2018 15:47

I’d go for it and ask at interview about phased return over 6 months; if you think it’s going well that is and you might actually get the job. PT for 6 months, then back to full time. I know a lot of work places will do this.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.