Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To ask about toenail polish before surgery?

florriepeck · 20/08/2018 12:09

I know I can't wear fingernail polish before going to theatre for an upcoming operation, but is it okay to wear toenail polish?
I always have gel polish on my horrible toes, so it wouldn't even be easy to remove on the day.
Just worrying about getting everything right.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HoleyCoMoley · 20/08/2018 12:11

I think its best to remove it.

Please
or

OutPinked · 20/08/2018 12:11

Toenails are fine.

Please
or

katseyes7 · 20/08/2018 12:11

l think you should be ok. lt's so they can check the blood flow to your extremities, but l'd give your surgeon's secretary a ring just to make sure.

Please
or

TheOxymoron · 20/08/2018 12:12

If in doubt just remove it or give the number on your letter a quick call to check.
I hope your op goes well. X

Please
or

aaaaargghhhhelpme · 20/08/2018 12:13

My midwife mildly scolded me for having painted nails as it effects the monitor they attach (like a clothes peg). I think they could use your fingers which is probably more likely in most cases but I was busy trying to feed so feet were a better option!
Hope all goes well Flowers

Please
or

alittlequinnie · 20/08/2018 12:14

I've had two lots of surgery and both times they handed me a bottle nail varnish remover and asked me to take the polish off my toenails.

Please
or

alittlequinnie · 20/08/2018 12:14

... you would have thought I would have learned the first time!!!

Please
or

olympicsrock · 20/08/2018 12:14

I’m a surgeon - it’s fine. Patients are asked to remove nail varnish from fingers as it interferes with the oxygen saturation monitors that are out on your fingers. They do not need to use your toes. If the finger signal is poor for any reason ( such as very cold hands they put a monitor on your ear lobe. You can definitely leave your toes looking pretty!

Please
or

PaulRuddislush · 20/08/2018 12:15

I wear toenail polish all the time and have always been told to remove it before surgery. The first time I didn't know and the staff were quite annoyed at me as theatre is on such a strict time schedule.
When I say "always" I've had 3 subsequent surgeries and they've asked me if I'm wearing it and I could thankfully say no.

Please
or

Threehoursfromhome · 20/08/2018 12:16

I had my toenail polish removed by a nurse before surgery while I was lying on the trolley - it was an emergency op. She was very nice and apologised. I remember thinking it was the least of my worries.

It's probably worth checking.

Please
or

Idontbelieveinthemoon · 20/08/2018 12:18

I've had two surgeries in the last couple of years and both times have been told beforehand to ensure no polish/gel/acrylic on toes or fingers. I think perhaps some hospitals/theatres are more strict than others.

Please
or

kaytee87 · 20/08/2018 12:20

I've just had to remove my gel polish (fingers and toes for upcoming surgery).

Either book in to get it off or; file the top off each toe, soak cotton wool in acetone and place over each nail and wrap in tin foil, wait 10/20minutes then remove and file the residue off.

Please
or

kaytee87 · 20/08/2018 12:23

@olympicsrock does that not depend on where your surgery is? I had gel polish on my toes when I broke my ankle and each subsequent visit to the hospital resulted in me being told off (as I could remove it while my leg was in cast & I was in agony). They wanted to see the colour of my toenails to check blood flow.

Please
or

BackToTheFuschia7 · 20/08/2018 12:23

Given a surgeon has posted to say it’s fine, I would just leave it on and see what they say on the day.

IME there’s a standard list of things to do or not do but they don’t apply to everyone. You’re expected to remove all underwear under the gown but I wasn’t comfortable with this so discussed with my surgeon.

Please
or

kaytee87 · 20/08/2018 12:23

As if*

Please
or

kaytee87 · 20/08/2018 12:25

@BackToTheFuschia7 I was told the reason for removing underwear is because the elastic can conduct electricity from the machines. They had to cut mine off Blush

Please
or

BackToTheFuschia7 · 20/08/2018 12:30

How strange kaytee87 Confused

I kept on a stretchy crop top/ sleep bra and was given a sanitary pad and continence netting to fashion a pair of pants out of. Both had plenty of elastic! I was only told I couldn’t wear my own pants because of infection risk (op was on my hip), although the things they gave me weren’t sterile either.

Please
or

Threehoursfromhome · 20/08/2018 12:31

BackToTheFuschia7 the trouble with leaving it until the day is gel polish takes 20-30 minutes to take off, including soaking in acetone, and some scraping. It's not just a wipe over with nail polish remover.

Please
or

Purringkittenmama · 20/08/2018 12:41

No idea re the nail varnish I'm afraid (and I am like you OP- I am never without polish on my toes) but regarding underwear- DH had surgery in January and was told to take everything off under the gown except boxer shorts. Underwear was obviously OK for him.

Please
or

olympicsrock · 20/08/2018 12:46

Kaytee- no it shouldn’t matter - we assess blue flow to toes looking at the pinkness of the soft tissue of the toes. This is my specialty!

Please
or

Walkingthroughawall · 20/08/2018 12:59

No problem at all (unless the surgery you're having is on your toes!). You don't really need to take varnish off your fingers either tbh - the sats probe works just as well if you put it on sideways and there are ear probes that can go on your ear/nose/lip if fingers/toes are out of action (although they won't have those on the wards post-op though). From an anaesthetist.

Please
or

Walkingthroughawall · 20/08/2018 13:02

Also, re underwear....
if you're having an operation that requires access to bits usually covered by underwear then take it off (gynae/urology/bum/hip/breast operations). If there's metal in your underwear (!) then take it off (this includes underwired bra's/bras with hooks at the back). If you can keep it on then wear cotton not synthetic. If you can keep it on then please do!!

Please
or

kaytee87 · 20/08/2018 13:05

Clearly the staff at my local hospital need further training! Even in my plaster instruction leaflet it said not to have nail varnish on.

Please
or

kaytee87 · 20/08/2018 13:08

I'm slightly perturbed as to why staff cut my underwear off for an op on my ankle now. I've had 7 GA ops and always been told no underwear.

Please
or

scaredofthecity · 20/08/2018 13:14

The elastic thing is old practice now as equipment has become a lot more sophisticated. However some places still go by the old ways as that's what they're used too. (The older scrub nurses tend to rule the theatres Grin)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.