My feed

to access all these features


Drunk Driver

17 replies

DrunctioningFunk · 03/08/2017 06:48

Just need some advice really, I don't think I'm BU but I don't know how to go about this...

Every Saturday I meet up in town with my sister in a bar/restaurant for a coffee and lunch. There is a young woman who works there - it seems like she is in and out so think she does some sort of promo work outside around the area. Occasionally, she pops back into the pub, has an alcoholic drink or two,then disappears again. This probably happens around 4/5 times while we sit there, over a couple of hours.

I have noticed these last few weeks, when we leave the pub, this woman pulling in/ out of the car park in her car, to-ing and fro-ing between her promo work and the bar. Last week, we knew she had drank 3 pints that we had seen, and as she pulled out of the parking space she mounted the kerb and scraped a litter bin. She didn't seem to noticeShock and just carried on driving with her windows down and her music thumping out at top whack.

This weekend I want to report her to the police. My sister thinks I should just stay out of it but I know that if they breathalyse her she would definitely be over the limit. I think she will soon cause an accident and I am not sure I can sit back and not do anything.

Who do I call? 999 at the actual time I see her getting in the car? Or the 101 number in advance?

OP posts:
CosmicPineapple · 03/08/2017 06:55

You could call 101 if you know the time and place she will be driving. I know that the police have waited for DDs to leave the pub after a tip off.

The risk she poses to others is too great to ignore and I think reporting it is the right thing.

GahBuggerit · 03/08/2017 06:56

So she has between 5-10 alcoholic drinks in the space of 2 hours? Are you sure they are alcoholic?

DrunctioningFunk · 03/08/2017 07:10

She is usually there when we arrive at 12ish- at the bar chatting with the staff - and she will already have a half of lager on the go.

Then she will go out and then return around 3-4 more times, more if we stay longer, and always have another half. We have seen her have two halves within around 25 mins. The day she mounted the kerb I do believe she had drank 6 halves (assuming she was only on her first when we arrived).

Just trying to give a snapshot really. Basically she is definitely pissed when she drives home, without a doubt.

OP posts:
SandysMam · 03/08/2017 07:12

Yes report her!! Ring 999 as she leaves with her correct licence plate and direction of travel. Don't report on 101, the lack of resources mean police just don't have the time to follow up this sort of lead anymore but will have to respond via 999. She could kill someone, it IS an emergency.

Collaborate · 03/08/2017 07:14

I'd report it. Think about it. How bad would you feel if she killed someone and you'd said nothing?

JungleInTheRumble · 03/08/2017 07:22

Please report it. Drink drivers kill people and ruin lives. I'm not sure the best place to report. I'd call your local police station and ask them.

JamRock · 03/08/2017 07:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

luckylucky24 · 03/08/2017 07:31

Ring 101 and explain the situation. If you cannot say what time she will leave then they may ask you to ring 999 when she leaves or just wait around the bar.

fuckingroundabout · 03/08/2017 07:34

how would you feel if it was one of your children killed by her and someone knew but didnt make a simple phone call to prevent it?

Mummyoflittledragon · 03/08/2017 07:35

I'd either do as Jungle said and call your local police station or phone 101 today and ask them how you should proceed. I don't think you should phone 999 when she leaves without their say so. It's Saturday night and although she is committing a serious crime and could kill someone or herself, you may take resources from someone, who is actually being killed.

Greggers2017 · 03/08/2017 07:40

How do you know it's not a shandy she is drinking?

DrunctioningFunk · 03/08/2017 07:44

I totally have every intention of reporting her, I just wasn't sure how to go about it. I will call 101 for advice I think. I can give them the rough time of when she leaves the pub.

It definitely is not shandy she is drinking. We have been monitoring her for weeks now. I'm baffled as to why nobody says anything to her tbh. The bar staff are quite young though, sort of 19 yo student types so probably daren't. She is quite lairy.

OP posts:
Brittbugs80 · 03/08/2017 08:30

I'd do it and have done.

Best case, she's over the limit and has been caught and will be dealt with. Worst case, she hasn't been drinking and it's non alcoholic drinks but she will still get a bit of advice not to and may give her food for thought if she does ever think about doing it.

Absolutely no excuse for driving drunk. It ruins too many lives. And it's the drunk drivers that seem to end up on following a crash but always end up killing a family, particularly on Christmas day or the days around Christmas.

greendale17 · 03/08/2017 08:33

Definitely report this person to the police

SafeToCross · 03/08/2017 08:34

Does the licensee/bar owner have a responsibility here? I mean maybe report to police first so she doesn't just drink elsewhere.

Saladd0dger · 03/08/2017 08:41

Ring 101 and report it. They can arrange a car to be sat waiting for her to leave the shop

Dawnedlightly · 03/08/2017 08:43

Report her. If it is shandy she'll not be over the limit so no harm done. If she's as drunk as she seems she definitely shouldn't be driving and you could save a life.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.