My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think family holidays abroad are lovely but stressful!

5 replies

UndomesticBlonde · 02/08/2017 19:43

My DH booked and paid for us to have a two week holiday with our DCs - 4 and 8 - back in December. At the time I started worrying - I'm a really worrier... well we are going home on Friday and as lovely as it has been to spend some time with my family I'm feeling exhausted and a bit stressed - but more relaxed than I was when we left. I feel really guilty - like a bad mum - for being so anxious on holiday and hope it gets better as they get older. We've done lots of swimming and while my 8 yo is better than me I've covstdjtly had to keep an eye on my 4 yo.

OP posts:
goldangel · 02/08/2017 20:11

Yanbu holidays with young children is just childcare in another location!

Holidays do get better, the turning point for us was when our youngest turned 5 and I learned how to relax and let go of schedules etc.

Florriesma · 02/08/2017 20:19

Yanbu. Especially swimming it always seems they are one second away from drowning! The difference this year when all of mine are over 8 and swimmers has been amazing. Swimming was actually fun. (Mostly)

MozzchopsThirty · 02/08/2017 21:12

I agree it does get easier the older they get
Mine are 12 & 8 now, both competent swimmers so they just do their own thing

I also find it much easier as a lone parent on holiday, but that's probably because I was married to a cock

UndomesticBlonde · 02/08/2017 21:22

Ahhh so good to hear! My 4 yo has improved her swimming this holiday but yes 'one second away from drowning' florr and 'childcare in another location' gold

OP posts:
Starlight2345 · 02/08/2017 21:26

I never took my ds abroad till he was nearly 8 as they are not relaxing..Swimming lessons not only are lifesaving but confident swimmers require less supervision..Obviously at 4 they need constant supervision no matter how good they are.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.