Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Status discrimination

45 replies

ambm70 · 30/07/2017 17:32

Can anyone tell me why marital status is necessary for car insurance? I cant see how your status is relevant and feel it is discriminatory on every level. Why would being married, single or living with someone matter? We all have moments in our day that can affect our driving, my status isn't one of them.

OP posts:
moutonfou · 30/07/2017 19:46

I was intrigued about this when renewing (I just got married) so got the quote twice, once as co-habiting, once as married. Being married saved us £12.

I also recall when James May got an honorary doctorate, and so was able to use the title Dr, he mentioned afterwards that that had reduced his car insurance. Ironic given his profession...

I do get really confused about insurance and why they don't seem subject to the Equality Act...

jellyfrizz · 30/07/2017 20:36

I do get really confused about insurance and why they don't seem subject to the Equality Act...

Me too. Age is a protected characteristic too isn't it? And yet it's completely accepted that young people have to pay more for car insurance.

Suze1621 · 30/07/2017 23:47

My sister took her husband off car insurance when renewing last year. When asked why, explained that they had separated. Her premium went up by £60 - according to insurers risk goes up for women who are separating/getting divorced!

steff13 · 30/07/2017 23:51

Age is a protected characteristic too isn't it? And yet it's completely accepted that young people have to pay more for car insurance.

It's probably lack of experience more than actual age. A 16-year-old can only have so much experience driving, and less experience drivers have more accidents.

TittyGolightly · 30/07/2017 23:57

Our insurance is higher because we live on a council estate, despite having off road parking.

Because with off road parking car thieves know which house the keys are in. Street parking is generally cheaper nowadays.

TittyGolightly · 30/07/2017 23:58

My sister took her husband off car insurance when renewing last year. When asked why, explained that they had separated. Her premium went up by £60 - according to insurers risk goes up for women who are separating/getting divorced!

That's bollocks. It's just because the risk is no longer across 2 drivers.

steff13 · 31/07/2017 02:04

I also recall when James May got an honorary doctorate, and so was able to use the title Dr, he mentioned afterwards that that had reduced his car insurance. Ironic given his profession.

But he's Cpt. Slow. So obviously a low risk. Wink

GreenTulips · 31/07/2017 02:33

If men are less safe than woman, but better drivers than married, how do they calculate gay married men?

Are 2 females better than 2 males?

My DH's policy dropped by £100 when we married - mine didn't change -

manicinsomniac · 31/07/2017 02:53

I don't think that insurance can offer equality in the same was as other things can they? Insurance is a gamble in essence, isn't it. The insurance company hope you never need to claim back the money you pay them (or more!). If too many of us do they won't stay in business and nobody will be able to have insurance. If it is more likely that your particular demographic/location/lifestyle will need to call on the company for a payout then they logically need to pay more in premiums.

In many circumstances that seems really harsh (higher travel insurance for people with cancer or epilepsy, higher car insurance for people who live on council estates etc).

In other circumstances it seems fair enough (higher travel insurance for people who want to go skiing, higher contents insurance for people who live in thatched houses etc)

But for a business the harshness or fairness of the decision has to be irrelevant because it doesn't affect their solvency.

13ReasonsWhy · 31/07/2017 03:04

@araiwa

I wish people would only speak when they know what they're talking about. The reason that insurance companies can 'discriminate' is because they are offering a personalised service. They aren't charging one person more for the same product. Every single product is different.

araiwa · 31/07/2017 04:06

I do know what im talking about

Sex cant change the price

www.bbc.com/news/business-12608777

13ReasonsWhy · 31/07/2017 05:34

We aren't talking about sex though, are we? The clue's in the thread title.

This thread is about a different price based on status which you said was illegal.

Tilapia · 31/07/2017 05:42

If insurance weren't allowed to use risk factors and had to charge each customer exactly the same, the outcome of that would be the safer drivers subsidising the cost of insurance for the people more likely to claim. Does that seem fair?

araiwa · 31/07/2017 05:49

I was clearly replying to the poster who said changing mr to miss resulted in a price drop on compare the market.

In another post i clearly state that every piece of information you give apart from your name will affect the price Confused

jay55 · 31/07/2017 07:48

There was a thing in the guardian about rates going up after divorce. Seems crazy that the same driver is now seen as a risk because they no longer have a husband.

www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/02/divorce-rac-car-insurance-premium-rise?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

WineAndTiramisu · 31/07/2017 07:55

The problem with stopping discrimination based on sex with insurance is that men's premiums don't go down, women's just go up and make the insurance companies more money!

coddiwomple · 31/07/2017 08:26

I can't understand why we have such arguments about this.

What do people want? That we all pay the highest possible premium, based on the worst possible case scenario, instead of paying lower rates because we are statistically a lower risk (based on the multiple factors taken into account).

Do you all want to be higher building insurance to match people living in a flood plain?

I can't understand why harpies were screaming discrimination when they were paying lower car insurance. Now our insurance has gone up, we are equal, whoopy do. I can't wait to be charged the same premium than a young driver, I really can't.

CrosswordPuzzle · 31/07/2017 09:25

WineAndTiramisu

I'm no longer an actuary but another issue is the price of parts of a car vs the entire cost.

Women are much more more likely to be in multiple incidents where a car is damaged whereas men are more likely to be in fewer but more serious incidents - think car park bumps vs rolling into a field at 60mph. I recently paid over £300 for a door mirror! A broken bumper with reversing sensor can cost a fortune!

One of the reasons for increasing premiums isn't men much to the disappointment of MN but instead that the cost of women's accidents is increasing.

TittyGolightly · 31/07/2017 12:08

make the insurance companies more money!

Majority of insurers don't make money on car insurance.

ambm70 · 01/08/2017 11:52

Jay55 the guardian post was almost me. Including having. Ex as named driver.
My original question wasn't about being male for female, just marital status. How does this affect same sex relationships?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.