Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To get all my hair cut off

10 replies

NormaNameChange · 30/07/2017 13:07

Im over 40, with hair that sits just below my bra strap. Its kind of a vivid reddy-purple and I am often stopped by random strangers in the street who want to comment on my hair - some even want to touch it! .

Ive been coloring it the best part of 20 years as I went gray early and have a mallon streak that when I was younger I couldn't stand, so as a consequence its not in the very best condition and my once thick, lucious locks are thinning on the run in to the menopause. AIBU to have my hair styled like this? I realise it's not possible for anyone to say if it actually suits me - given you cant see me; but what's your view on women over 40 with short, slightly trendy haircuts? Drastic and dramatic changes - are they a bad idea in your experiences? Children and partner think I'll regret it but I just dont know... I'm sorely tempted. Help!

OP posts:
CoughLaughFart · 30/07/2017 13:11

I think it's a nice cut, but if you're worried about it looking too 'young', you could go for a less dramatically asymmetric version.

If going for the chop in one go is too much, why not try going a little shorter (say to the shoulder) first to get used to it?

midnightflowers · 30/07/2017 13:12

For a start I'd go short gradually if your a serious about going short. Trust me! I've done the long hair to short and I hated it.
Do you like styling your hair? Maybe try different styles before hand?

MrsChopper · 30/07/2017 13:15

I had hair as long as yours and got it cut short yesterday! There is another thread on here where a lass had her hair cut short the other day and it looks fab. I'll attach a photo of what I asked for at the hairdressers. I am in my 30s if that makes a difference!?

MrsChopper · 30/07/2017 13:16

Ps: I love my new hair!

NormaNameChange · 30/07/2017 13:39

Thanks for the thoughts and that style is fabulous MrsChopper :)

I dont 'do' much with my hair. Wash and go mainly which is why I was thinking to avoid the middle length as they need a bit more attention in the mornings dont they?

OP posts:
theoldtrout01876 · 30/07/2017 13:46

Im in my 50s. I have wicked short spiky hot pink hair. If you can carry off the style, age doesnt come into it.

Go for it Grin

MrsChopper · 30/07/2017 13:51

It kinda depends on your hair. My long gair was a lot of work. Drying it took forever. It often needed straightening too which took ages. And I ended up being lazy with it and often wearing it in a ponytail or bun.

Hairdresser confirmed I might have to 'do' my hair more often now; however, it won't take a long time!

StillStayingClassySanDiego · 30/07/2017 13:51

I've always had short hair and have gone for a very similar style to the picture but shorter and a sweeping fringe.

I'm 49 and my hair has gone thinner but it looks good, to me anyway.

I would say shorter hair needs a lot of maintainance to keep it looking like it doesn't Grin if that makes sense. I need to blow dry and straighten it daily, it has a natural yet annoying wave .

gamerwidow · 30/07/2017 14:48

Just do it being over 40 doesn't mean you can't be 'trendy'. The great thing about hair too is that it grows back so if you make a mistake it's not the end of the world!

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 · 30/07/2017 14:57

I went from shoulder length hair to a five point cut (think Liza Minelli in cabaret). I love it, my hair never sits right when it's longer and it is so much easier to style. Go for it!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.