My feed

to access all these features


AIBU to want to emigrate (preferably to Canada) even though I have no transferable skills

30 replies

Wanttorunawayabroad · 30/07/2017 09:03

Everything has broken down here, marriage, family, kids have told me they want to live with their dad, I have few friends and very little to keep me in the UK. The only thing I have going for me is my job/career I've worked hard at to forge my way as an unqualified allied healthcare professional.

I've long wanted to leave the UK and now seems the time to do it but I can't see how as I'm an unqualified worker. Can I migrate as a mature student, qualify in the country I move to and remain there? I am pushing 40 so am acutely aware time is not on my side on this.

OP posts:
LindyHemming · 30/07/2017 09:06

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wanttorunawayabroad · 30/07/2017 09:07

Secondary school age so old enough to make these decisions for themselves

OP posts:
LindyHemming · 30/07/2017 09:10

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WinifredAtwellsOtherPiano · 30/07/2017 09:11

There's a huge difference between children's residence moving to another parent but you still seeing them regularly and you moving to another continent and not seeing them for months on end. You do get that, don't you?

What's wrong with your life that you think would be fixed by moving? You only mention the absence of friends and breakdown of marriage and they wouldn't change.

HotelEuphoria · 30/07/2017 09:15

Do you have funds to do this?

No disrespect but you seem really down, understandably so, but thinking moving to another country you have probably never visited and thinking your life will be massively improved is naive.

Going over as a student requires big sums of money.

CoughLaughFart · 30/07/2017 09:15

It might sound like a silly question, but how much time have you spent in Canada, if any? You'd be surprised how many people I've met who were all excited about the idea of emigrating (usually Canada or New Zealand) without having so much as been on holiday to said country.

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 · 30/07/2017 09:17

You'd probably be more successful if you did your exams / qualifications here and then migrate. Visa requirements tend to be quite strict - I doubt they've let you through with just an intention to qualify. Some courses here in this country may be designed for people who are already working in the field. For example, as an assistant practitioner in radiography I think it's a two year top up course and then you're a radiographer. Not sure which profession you're in but I wonder if there's something available to you like that?

bridgetreilly · 30/07/2017 09:18

Generally if you move somewhere on a student visa, you can't assume that you would be able to transfer to a work visa or permanent residence. Canada has fairly strict immigration rules and as an unqualified worker, you might struggle. I don't think it's going to be as easy as you hope.

chronicleink · 30/07/2017 09:18

You could consider getting the qualifications that would make you eligible then apply, particularly if you work in healthcare. Then give it a go for a couple of years, doesn't have to be forever. And training might help with your job prospects here, give you a new perspective on your life, help you meet new people and open up more options for you. Move you in a more positive direction from where you are now on lots of ways.

Fekko · 30/07/2017 09:18

Can you speak French? I don't think it's easy. We know a family who on paper were perfect and they weren't taken.

Lj8893 · 30/07/2017 09:20

I would think you would need to study and qualify here first. What is it you want to do?

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 · 30/07/2017 09:23

The other thing to consider as well is that you say you don't have many friends here...but you'll have even less / none in Canada and may struggle to make friends. Maybe consider living in another part of this country?

dadadadathatslife · 30/07/2017 09:47

I feel like you're going to get a hard time on this thread when you sound really down and at the end of your tether.

I don't really have any advice for you but I do for others - be gentle to the OP. Life is bloody hard going sometimes Flowers

SpartacusSaiman · 30/07/2017 09:52

Have you looked at canada. Its not that easy to just move there.

I think you will regret leaving your kids mid teens.

Why did they decide to live with their dad? I suspect You are very hurt and wanting to run away.

CaptainMarvelDanvers · 30/07/2017 09:55

It sounds like you're depressed OP. I get it, sometimes in life you feel that you have to run away..The issue is that once you run away, you will still have the same issues before but you will also have some new ones cropping up.

edwinbear · 30/07/2017 09:57

DH and I looked into this several years ago. I'm a graduate, he isn't, however we were both working in investment banking earning six figure salaries and had sizeable savings as capital. We didn't score enough points to be able to go, Canada is a very difficult country to qualify to emigrate to.

Groupie123 · 30/07/2017 10:02

Some healthcare related professions don't need qualifications if you are experienced as Canada is desperate for them. Your best bet is to do research and use their points calculator to see what you need. Unlike others I think your secondary school aged kids, if old enough to decide to live with dad, are old enough to understand that mum needs to do this for herself. Canada isn't a million miles away- they can spend their summers with you if they want.

Willyoujustbequiet · 30/07/2017 11:25

I found it relatively easy to get in on the points system but it took a long time in the queue.

I would speak to your GP though as you seem depressed.

thethoughtfox · 30/07/2017 12:40

Is that fair, to leave your children because they have chosen your husband over you?

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe2726 · 30/07/2017 13:17

You don't have to speak French to live in Canada (unless you move to Montreal) but you do need to meet their criteria for immigration. We tried this about 10 years ago and sadly didn't make it. The points required aren't flexible and are quite tough to reach.

Canada Immigration does run 'open days' occasionally in London and it may be worth you attending one of those if you can.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe2726 · 30/07/2017 13:18

French in Quebec too!

pascalpascal · 30/07/2017 13:30

I've looked into moving to Quebec. As has been said, they have very strict immigration rules.

If you haven't the appropriate employment skills they are looking for, from memory, I think you had to prove you had $1 million Canadian dollars of assets (including property) about £600,000 at the time I think.

MissBabbs · 30/07/2017 13:33

Do you know Canada. It is freezing for much of the year and when it's not freezing it's invaded by black flies slight generalisation

abilockhart · 30/07/2017 13:33

If you are an unqualified allied healthcare professional, it may be difficult.

Allied health practitioners would require completion of a university, college or other approved program

VestalVirgin · 30/07/2017 13:40

Why have you long wanted to leave the UK, and what do you think will be better elsewhere?

The UK is a pretty comfy place to live, compared to lots of other countries, so I don't get wanting to just leave.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.