My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Anyone else's DH cycling ride london tomorrow and driving them insane??

22 replies

cyclingwidowforaday · 29/07/2017 19:22

Or is it just me?

The sheer amount of flapping ranging from how early he's going to get up, how much time to leave to get the bike on the roof, whether man flu is going to stop him cycling, whether carrying the DS might put his back out.

Am trying to do best supportive thing but driving me nuts.

Am I the only one???

OP posts:
Shoxfordian · 29/07/2017 21:48

Mine isn't cycling but all the roads are closed so I'm effectively stranded tomorrow by the stupid bikes!

Peachypeaches · 29/07/2017 22:04

Mine is for the fifth year in a row! He left this morning and is staying for 2 nights in London as we live too far away to go there and back on the day. Costs us a fortune every year! His set off time for the ride is 5:30am, so he'll have a really early start in the morning.

daisypond · 29/07/2017 22:14

Mine is, for second time in a row. I just leave him to it and hope/expect he'll turn up in one piece at the end! I think he has a 5:30 ride start time, too.

sunglasses · 29/07/2017 22:55

Yep same in our house- moaning at early start time, wet roads and not having time for a morning poo!!! We will still be there to cheer him on though tomorrow 😀

Jackiesprat · 29/07/2017 22:57

Also stranded due to the bloody race Angry Just back from holiday and needed to do some things but can't get anywhere

unyummy4amummy · 30/07/2017 00:22

Ladies l feel your pain. My lovely, but not naturally athletic OH has altered his diet and come up with a radical training plan that has taken priority over everything else including the kids. He has spent countless hours working on the bike as well as cycling training whilst l have DC. Recently he spent all of his day off fiddling with bike, cycling showering, (first thing, before and after ride). Today he left early to stay closer with friends after spending ages deciding which cycling outfit looked best with his ride top! Think probably IABU as put my foot down about not trekking the DC(both under, 3) on a 3 hour trip to watch, without factoring in train engineering work.
I am really proud of him and will be there to cheer him on.
Seriously considering putting a tyre between my bum cheeks as think that will guarantee he shows me some interest😁 good luck to all the riders and for us supporters may there be enough tea with everyone and chocolate

NoLoveofMine · 30/07/2017 00:32

Are women not allowed to do this?

backwardpossom · 30/07/2017 00:35

Several of my female friends are doing this. I would be, if it wasn't such a faff to get my bike down from near Inverness...

Hmm

ClarkyMcClarkason · 30/07/2017 01:18

Grow up backwardpossom. No need for the PA smileys. The OP simply said "DH" because her's is.

No OP, but DH and I did a couple of years ago. There was a great atmosphere.

Bubbinsmakesthree · 30/07/2017 01:45

I'm tolerating a bit of moaning about the fact he'll have to get up at 3:30am to get to the start in time, but as I am currently horrendously sleep deprived from BFing a baby through the 4 month sleep regression, I've already pointed out that five hours of sleep - uninterrupted sleep at that - is significantly more than I'll be getting or am likely to get for the foreseeable future.

Peachypeaches · 30/07/2017 09:56

How are they all doing? My dh is over half way now, he just phoned from a rest stop and is really enjoying it.

backwardpossom · 30/07/2017 14:05

The smiley was in reference to the difficulty in getting my bike down from Inverness, but just you fire on in there Clarky

wizzywig · 30/07/2017 14:11

Husbands just finished a similar event yesteday and is back he tomorrow. I told him he is not allowed to do it again. Thats right i told him. Did my head in with all that shit that other posters have written about. Especially when he never puts in any effort or brain space about family/ relationship things as much as he has done about this. Also he is doing it for a charity that means nothing to him. That bit is the worst, we have as a family benefitted so much from a local small sen charity and he has raised thousands for a big name charity

wizzywig · 30/07/2017 14:11

Sorry op, just ranted all over your thread

Jujaya · 30/07/2017 15:49

Not ride London but my DH is doing the Transcontinental race which is a 4000km race across Europe at the moment. He has done my head in with the preparation and bike stuff has taken over our house. This is his 3rd long distance race this year !!

Jujaya · 30/07/2017 15:50

Also his bikes have to be in our house as they are too precious to be in the garage 😂😂

RadioGaGoo · 30/07/2017 15:52

Also stranded. Oh well.

1ndigo · 30/07/2017 16:03

Yes mine got back about 2.30pm. He did it in 5 hrs which is a record for him. I'm just glad he's in one piece - he's had 2 accidents this year.
Jujaya - yes the bikes have to be in the house as well!
He is cycling round the world in yearly installments - amongst other things.
Now we are having the blow by blow account of the speed on various sections etc. The kids are being forced to watch it on TV.

CosmicStrider · 30/07/2017 17:04

My DH did this two years ago (missed last year due to illness) but is doing something similar in September and has just arranged a whole group of 15 people to do the Coast to Coast challenge (150 miles in one day) next June.

His hobby costs us an absolute fortune. He is good about trying to get a work/family/cycle life balance but to be honest it still gets on my absolute tits some days.

The gadgets, the lycra, the fuel gels - recently he has taken to filling the freezer with home made protein balls... It's bonkers. Wine for all wives of these buggers.

londonrach · 30/07/2017 17:11

Glad i left london now. You can get anywhere whilst this event occurs.

Moanyoldcow · 30/07/2017 17:15

I just detest the road closures. I know it's 'only one day' but I'm a Moany Old Cow and I like being able to get on with my usual weekend routine and I can't.

MiraiDevant · 30/07/2017 21:01

Agree with those stranded. It's shit. I need to do stuff this weekend.

DH and DC coming back from a week on South Coast - took f*ing hours!!!. I couldn't get to the shops or the library or bloody anywhere.

Couldn't even get a bus.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.