Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Rugs in the kitchen

24 replies

Dancingfairy · 28/07/2017 00:24

I'm a member of a few home swapping sites on Facebook and I've noticed a lot of people have rugs in the kitchen. Is this a thing? I've never seen it before. Do you have a rug in your kitchen? Am I missing out??

OP posts:
5foot5 · 28/07/2017 00:32

Bliley I thought this was going to be some Health and Safety thing about unsafe floor coverings.

No I don't have a kitchen rug and don't ever remember seeing a kitchen rug. Given I once burnt a hole in the lino while trying to make gravy I think I had better steer clear

Dancingfairy · 28/07/2017 00:39

Oh and aibu in wondering how they don't get messy?! I'm always having to mop my kitchen floor due to spills etc

OP posts:
MeanAger · 28/07/2017 00:41

I do but my kitchen is a large kitchen diner and the rug Is in the diner end that I use as a living area instead of a diner. So it's kind of like a living room. Far enough from cooking and eating to stay less free. The dog lies on it though. I had to shampoo it last night Hmm

MeanAger · 28/07/2017 00:41

mess free

TasLondon · 28/07/2017 01:09

Yes, I have a rug in frontof the fridge, and in front of the sink and the cooker. They are those rag rug things. I'm always spilling stuff and dropping food, it's easier to shake out the rug than to clean the floor every time.

UrethaFranklin · 28/07/2017 01:47

Hell no, I drop so much crap I like the fact that I can sweep and mop the floor. Don't want to be hoovering rugs as well!

MimsyFluff · 28/07/2017 02:05

My DH is obsessed with rugs! If we go anywhere that sells rugs he'll look at them all and tries to buy the fuckers! We have 3 DC, 3 Ddogs and a cat it'll get covered in hair after ½ an hour and the kids will all want to sit on it then they'll sneak food on it! We have a hard floor downstairs and leather sofas for a reason.

He has bought 3 rugs in 3 years and they've all been ruined or the Ddogs and children argue over who should sit on the rug it drove me crazy all the "mummy Rovers on MY rug" "mummyyyy Rover won't move" "MUMMY MUMMY MUMMY" That one I binned and pretended my elderly dog had diarrhea on please note we have the luxury cot bed mattress for the Ddogs in the living room and a huge bed in the kitchen and they are allowed on the sofa the DC are also allowed on the sofa if they have behaved

He can have a rug when the kids have discovered that sofas are made for sitting on 😂 he has made me hate rugs

Ollivander84 · 28/07/2017 02:15

Not a rug but my neighbours have their kitchen carpeted. And bathrooms. WTF do you do if you drop a full bottle of milk on a kitchen carpet?!

MimsyFluff · 28/07/2017 02:18

When we bought this house the kitchen and bathroom were carpeted with that horrid office stuff the spills had stained the floor when I ripped it up and the toilet had one of those fabric padded seats in the colour brown 🤒

madja · 28/07/2017 02:20

Mindy mine too! Mine was green and looked like AstroTurf. And the food stuck in it, urgh!
On the original question, no to rugs in the kitchen. I find them a trip hazard, but that might be meGrin

madja · 28/07/2017 02:21

*Mimsy, sorry..

Imbroglio · 28/07/2017 02:52

I have those turtle mats in strategic places. They capture dirt and spills and go in the washing machine once a week.

MeanAger · 28/07/2017 09:57

my neighbours have their kitchen carpeted.

Shock never in my life have I seen a carpetted kitchen!! why would anyone want that? Confused

littlemissangrypants · 28/07/2017 10:11

Carpeted kitchens were done a lot in the early eighties. Our first house had bloody pink carpet tiles all over the kitchen. Plus we had an avocado green bathroom suit with matching green shagpile carpet that even went up the side of the bathtub. It was grim especially the time my eldest vomited up chunks of sweet corn.
I now refuse to have carpets anywhere were food is. Just can't bare it. Not even a rug. I also don't let the kids eat near the rugs in house. ( might be a tad paranoid)

KoalaDownUnder · 28/07/2017 10:14

God no.

I've seen them a lot online. Trendy kitchens with gorgeous kilim rugs for colour. They look great in the photo, but I've seen what gets spilled on my kitchen floor, so...no.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair · 28/07/2017 10:22

Same as PP I have a sheepskin at the dining room end for the dogs to lie on so they can keep me company. Can't say DD is particularly keen to share it with them as it stinks (must check if you can actually wash the thing ...).

I hate cooking smells though so would rather the house ponged of wet dog than onions.

Nikephorus · 28/07/2017 10:37

I have a cheapish one because my dog is unsteady on her paws these days and doesn't believe in moving slowly and steadily (particularly in the kitchen where there's food!). It means that there's an area where she can (temporarily) gain some traction & sit down without losing balance. When it gets too grubby I buy a new one (they won't fit in the washing machine)

Dancingfairy · 28/07/2017 11:03

Carpet in kitchens! Yikes, I thought it couldn't get worse

OP posts:
AVY1 · 28/07/2017 11:07

I do but for practical reasons - I get horrific pain in my feet from the floor tiles and a rug in front of the sink helps!

TonicAndTonic · 28/07/2017 11:09

Never seen this. Even before you think of all the things that would get dropped on them. surely rugs in the kitchen are a trip hazard?

I'm biased though because I hate rugs with a passion. Bloody hard to hoover and either slip about the place or curl up at the corners.

Imbroglio · 28/07/2017 18:53

These are non-slip and mop up splashes and spills, and wash beautifully. I've got one that is beginning to fall apart after about 10 years.

www.turtlemat.co.uk/kitchen-mats/

2rebecca · 28/07/2017 19:14

Sounds a silly idea to me. Something to trip over and get grubby

AllToadsLeadToHome · 28/07/2017 19:22

I have enough to keep clean without adding manky, greasy rugs full of grass cuttings to the list.

When we bought this house we had to rent it out due to a change of plan. The tenants insisted on having the floor re-sanded which was done.

When we went to look at something that they were complaining about we saw that they had covered the newly renovated floor with a gigantic rug and put a huge table on it, covering it up anyway.

As they only walked around the edges of the room they left a track on the wood floor which is now a different colour to the rest, not only of the kitchen floor but also the rest of the house.

Rugs in kitchens - pah.

Crumbs1 · 28/07/2017 19:37

Yuk no. Kitchen floor is flagstone that can be bleached and scrubbed without harm. Even the breakfast area is bare floor. I have two small armchairs by the French doors with a coffee table but no rugs or carpet. It's a kitchen.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.