Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To drive to a job an hour away?

16 replies

Rogersgal7 · 21/07/2017 13:07

I am currently working in a role that is only a twenty minute drive from home , I really don't enjoy it and feel quite unsafe so I have looked around for another job. The job I do is quite specific and they don't tend to come up often. I have seen one advertised today that is ideal, however when I googled the postcode it is an hours drive from my home.

Would this be an unreasonable travel time? I am not sure, it is only for 3 days of the week .

Does anyone else drive this far for work ? I guess I am hoping that there are people reading this who do have quite a long car journey to work so I can tell myself it is do-able. I have looked at taking the train but I may need my car to attend meetings/visits when I get there.

Am I unreasonable to consider this?

OP posts:
LaurieFairyCake · 21/07/2017 13:08

The average commute is over an hour in the UK so go for it ! Flowers

Ameliablue · 21/07/2017 13:09

I don't think an hour is an unreasonable commute, although tiring. I would check if that is an accurate time for rush hour if appropriate though.

toolonglurking · 21/07/2017 13:15

I second ameliablue that it would be wise to check how long the journey is at the appropriate times, but otherwise it is absolutely fine. My DH commutes over an hour on windy country roads each way everyday, he listens to books on audible and really enjoys the time! (He probably likes the peace since there isn't much at home with DC)

TheNaze73 · 21/07/2017 13:16

Laurie beat me to it about the average.

If the rewards for a job are good & you fancy it, I think you'd be silly not to go for it.

furryelephant · 21/07/2017 13:18

I think it also depends on the length of your working day. I had an hours drive each way (not including parking, getting into work etc) on top of a 13 hour shift and i couldn't cope with it at all, it meant each day was leaving the house at 5.45am and returning (on a good day!) at 10pm. Awful Sadif you work normal days such as 9-5 or similar, I think it is do-able though.

Passmethecrisps · 21/07/2017 13:20

I have done a two hour (minimum) round trip for 17 years. Of course it can be wearying especially in bad weather but mostly I quite enjoy it actually

namechangedtoday15 · 21/07/2017 13:21

I agree that you need to check whether it is really an hour at the times you will go/ come back? I commuted for 12+ years and whilst it was probably 45 mins with no traffic, it could be 2 hours at rush hour. I therefore had to leave very early / late to avoid the traffic (I rejigged my hours to fit with that).

Do you have children in childcare? That's a consideration too (its quite hard if you get a call to collect a child if they're unwell / upset / had an accident and you're an hour away).

Go for it!

aquashiv · 21/07/2017 13:22

I regularly drive more than that. I love my job and its actually the only time I get to myself so it's a treat.

Passmethecrisps · 21/07/2017 13:23

Good point made by namechange. In miles my husband and I have identical commutes. Mine is almost exactly the same length every day as it is across rural roads and the only hold up is tractors. His is motorway and can take two hours for no apparent reason

SerfTerf · 21/07/2017 13:24

A nice hour long drive commute (ideally with a ten minute stroll the other end) is perfection if it doesn't cause childcare pick up or drop off stress. Audio books, podcasts, language lesson CDs, your own choice of music, uninterrupted thinking time and lots of radio 4. It's heaven.

AlpacasPackOwls · 21/07/2017 13:25

I do an hour commute 3 days a week. I enjoy it as it's the only time I get to myself! I work a 7 hour day so not too bad.

otterlieriver · 21/07/2017 13:26

Depends on money, too.

I once had an hour commute. I didn't mind the commute per se but I hated how much I was spending on petrol.

Arealhumanbeing · 21/07/2017 13:29

Loads of people drive that far to work. I've always enjoyed it. As the PP said, plenty of radio 4 and podcasts!

Hope you get the job!

Rinkydinkypink · 21/07/2017 13:29

It depends on your situation at home. If you have DC the impact on them. If you have no depends then go for it.

Also consider road type, congestion in the area, length of days and times of work etc. Also cost of travelling.

Rinkydinkypink · 21/07/2017 13:31

Oh and available parking. That can add an extra 20-30 minutes to your journey.

Rogersgal7 · 21/07/2017 13:39

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think that I will go for it! It is a 7 hour day and the childcare is not a problem as DH works from home. The money for petrol may be a bit Sad but I hope the satisfaction of the job will counteract this.

I will also check out the rush hour traffic as this may impact the journey time.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.