My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think this dog owner should have offered to pay?

49 replies

CherryChasingDotMuncher · 19/07/2017 15:59

Or am I being precious-by-proxy (first world problem alert)?

At the park enjoying the weather with a friend, we bought our kids (3 and 4) an ice cream each that were in tubs. They put them on a wall and stood to eat them

A massive dog comes bounding up, the kids get a fright and run off and in one fell swoop sticks it's mouth in my friend's daughter's ice cream tub and scoffs the whole thing Shock we shoo it away and the 3yo, in typical 3yo fashion, is heartbroken and cries.

The owner comes round the corner, and notices my friend shoo-ing the dog away and me comforting her DD (said shoo-ing was taking place as I really don't like dogs especially large bounding ones). The owner asks if the dog frightened her and I said no she's crying because he ate her ice cream she said "oh....sorry" then walked off

AIBU to think she could have offered to pay for a new ice cream? I mean it's not a huge deal it's only £2 but we had no cash left and the stall didn't take cards. Or are we being precious? Luckily my DD offered to share her ice cream so the tears soon stopped!

It states on signs BTW that dogs need to be kept on leads! Hardly any were though 🙄

OP posts:
HoneyDragon · 19/07/2017 16:00

No UANBU, the dog owner is an ill mannered twat.

alpacasandwich · 19/07/2017 16:01

She should have bought you a new ice cream. I'd have been mortified if it was my dog.

HipsterHunter · 19/07/2017 16:01

Dog owner was a total twat and should have offered to pay!

Hate people who don't control their mutts.

HipsterHunter · 19/07/2017 16:02

Also it could have been chocolate ice cream and chocolate is super bad for dogs!

HoneyDragon · 19/07/2017 16:02

And they are a shit dog owner as that ice cream could have had something fatal to dogs in it and the silly twat didn't think to check that either.

ihavetoWORK · 19/07/2017 16:03

YANBU one of my DMs dogs did once swipe a sandwich from a kids hand as they walked passed in the park (on a lead!) and she bought a new one. Said dog is food obsessive so she is her vigilant because of this (but accidents happen and you apologise and pay up!)

TheMysteriousJackelope · 19/07/2017 16:03

YANBU.

WildBelle · 19/07/2017 16:03

I don't usually take cash out with me when walking the dog so maybe they had no means to offer to pay?

Collidascope · 19/07/2017 16:05

No. She should have been mortified and offered to pay. My pup picked up someone's umbrella recently and ran away with it (they'd put it down to stroke him). I offered to pay for a new one if it was damaged. Thankfully it wasn't and the owner of said umbrella thought it was hilarious.

IToldYouIWasFreaky · 19/07/2017 16:06

I don't usually take cash out with me when walking the dog so maybe they had no means to offer to pay?

Even more reason to keep proper control of her dog then! Hmm

OP, YANBU at all. Dogs should be kept on leads unless they are in an area suitable for exercising and only if the owner can recall them properly.

WhereDoAllTheWildThingsGo · 19/07/2017 16:07

Tbh I'd have been heartbroken and I'm not 3yo Grin.

But yanbu or precious - the dog owner should have offered to buy another one.

Brahms3rdracket · 19/07/2017 16:07

I would if one of my dogs ate the ice cream but rarely have any cash if dog walking.

Floggingmolly · 19/07/2017 16:08

Of course they should have replaced the ice cream. Even better if they kept the bloody dog on a lead.

CherryChasingDotMuncher · 19/07/2017 16:10

He did actually sniff my DD's chocolate ice cream but clearly didn't fancy it Grin but the owner never asked the flavour, I did think "I'm sure chocolate is poisonous to dogs".

TBF it's not all dog owners, same happened last year when I took DD for a picnic, a dog swiped our sausage rolls and the owner went and bought DD an ice lolly, she was made up!

OP posts:
Lilmisskittykat · 19/07/2017 16:14

As a dog owner I'd be mortified and would like to offer... but chances are I have Doggy bags and a car key and nothing else

MidnightAura · 19/07/2017 16:14

Yanbu, I would have offered to get a new one if my dog did this!

TheNaze73 · 19/07/2017 16:15

YANBU.

The dog owner was wrong on many levels & is a real let down to the 99% of dog owners who are kind and considerate

BrambleandCuthbert · 19/07/2017 16:23

YANBU - definitely not.

One of my dogs, a canine hoover, would do this given half the chance. Consequently I keep her muzzled anywhere or on the lead anywhere people might be eating. I'd be mortified if I slipped up and she scarfed someone's ice cream. I like to think I'd offer to pay for a replacement- I'd certainly want to. Unfortunately, like others on the thread, I don't always have money on me when dog walking. You've made me think I should add a couple of quid to my stash of poo bags. Hmmm.

BMW6 · 19/07/2017 16:24

Of course owner should have offered to pay - and the dog was not under their control either, so epic fail all round really.
Pisses me off massively as a dog owner Angry

PossumInAPearTree · 19/07/2017 16:26

They should have paid.

There's not enough cocoa in ice cream to do any harm to a dog.

I had a dog piss all over my picnic in a park once and the twat owner never offered to pay.

CwtchMeQuick · 19/07/2017 16:31

Of course she should have offered to pay, but maybe she didn't have any cash on her? She should've said "I'm so sorry I wish I could buy a new one but I don't have any cash!" But maybe she was mortified and trying to get her dog away as quickly as possible? It's annoying but I don't think it makes the owner a twat.

GinIsIn · 19/07/2017 16:32

Dog owner should absolutely have offered to pay!! My dog once swiped a bacon sarnie from a builder at a local building site, who was sat on the kerb to eat it (something of a miracle as she's about the size of a rabbit!). She was on the lead but is so small it's never a scenario that I've faced with her before, so I was taken by surprise!

I offered to pay immediately but luckily he and his friends found it hilarious and gave her a sausage and a bite of fried egg sandwich too. Strangely she wanted to go for a walk every day at that time after that.... 🙄

ThymeLord · 19/07/2017 16:32

God i'd be mortified if my dog did that and i'd be apologising profusely and running off to buy more ice creams.

tkband3 · 19/07/2017 16:34

Definitely should have paid for a new one, and even if they didn't have any money with them, should have been far more apologetic about it - I would have been mortified. Our dog (whippet) is a nightmare with picnics at the moment. I've kept saying I should carry a couple of quid with me just in case, and your thread has prompted me to add some money to my dog-walking bag just in case. I always try and veer away from picnics and children carrying food or ice creams, but unfortunately, as a whippet, he's very fast, so sometimes gets there before me. I always have treats for him to try and tempt him away, but other people's picnics are so much more interesting.

Collaborate · 19/07/2017 16:38

Should have replaced it with a bigger one.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.