Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask teachers what they would REALLY like

78 replies

BasilInTheRatatouille · 19/07/2017 10:03

End of term gifts - what would teachers/TAs/support staff out there really really like. I don't go over the top with gifts but DS has special needs and a couple of people in the school really look out for him. I usually buy a nice tin or jar and son makes biscuits to put in it. Yay.
Be completely honest, what would a great present be (within a say £20 budget). And what presents have you received that made you thought wahay! or eeeww!

OP posts:
trinity0097 · 19/07/2017 10:05

I don't ever eat anything homemade - sorry but I have no idea of the hygiene surrounding it being made. So that would be a waste of a time.

I would love an Amazon gift voucher, e.g. £10 so I could buy some books for my holiday reading

spankhurst · 19/07/2017 10:07

A John Lewis voucher.

Guiltily agree about the home-made issue (although DS and DH scoff things anyway!).

PasDevantLesElephants · 19/07/2017 10:10

I'm not a teacher, but honestly who can't find a use for Amazon credit? I would hate for my house to be cluttered with mugs with apples on and the like, so we just enclose Amazon gift cards in our thank you cards for the teacher and TAs.

LockedOutOfMN · 19/07/2017 10:16

I am a teacher. I don't need gifts. A card from the parent(s) be child is lovely and I will keep it; my favourite gift would be an email to the head to say you and your child have been happy with my teaching.

All gifts are very gratefully received.

Food gifts I would share out in the staffroom and wine/alcohol I would regift. Stuff like notebooks and mugs I would use at school.

Vouchers for Amazon or coffeeshops would be my favourite gifts, but, as I said, I really don't need any. Just saying thank you (if you want to) or telling me something I did that you/your child found particularly helpful is more than enough.

aweewhilelonger · 19/07/2017 10:16

Daughter and wife of teachers here.

Anything edible / drinkable / clean-with-able and ultimately disposable is most appreciated i.e. Food, drink and nice toiletries. Please no more mugs / personalised tote bags / place mats / jars / pictures or frames / calendars / notebooks / vases etc etc etc. It's all going to clutter a cupboard or straight to charity.

Vouchers would be a great idea !

Aeroflotgirl · 19/07/2017 10:22

What if you cannot afford vouchers for each teacher. I have another child as well, and if I gave £10 to each teacher they have, and TA that helps them (they both have SN), it will end up costing me about £40 which I do not have. So I have got them a mug, or pen, and gotten them to write a card. Ds is 5, and he has decorated a little ornament for his teacher and TA as well.

Aeroflotgirl · 19/07/2017 10:23

Next year I will stick with the choccies and biscuits then!

mummmy2017 · 19/07/2017 10:26

We give mugs on the 1st Dec with xmas pictures and stuff it full of snacks, and yes I know the Teachers like it, as we got asked if it was their turn for the snack mugs as will have child for next year.

Pumperthepumper · 19/07/2017 10:26

I really don't understand this angst every year about teachers gifts - they're paid to teach your children, they're not just doing you a favour. And if they've really gone above and beyond then write them a lovely thank you note in a card, just like you would anyone else who you appreciated. It's become almost a competition for who can get the most meaningful present, does it really matter if you give them chocolate but they don't like chocolate?

HairsprayBabe · 19/07/2017 10:30

My parents are both teachers.

A lovely card with a handwritten note of thanks is their preferred choice, personal and inexpensive!

Any thing useable/edible, soap/handcream/chocs/wine etc all good.

Nothing with worlds best teacher on, they get so much of it and it is lovely but there are only so many plaques one wants to display.

As for people not eating home made stuff for "hygiene" reasons - get over your self, all of this is scoffed up in our house, and no-one has ever gotten ill! Very very wasteful and super rude imo.

cardibach · 19/07/2017 10:32

I'm in secondary so I don't see parents. If your child says thank you regularly and wishes me a good summer I'm happy!

cardibach · 19/07/2017 10:32

When I say I don't see parents, I mean I don't see them at the end of term, obviously - I see them regularly at other things!

elQuintoConyo · 19/07/2017 10:34

I'd like a thank you note in a card and/or email to my boss. Or nothing. I don't like smellies, i have a ton of stationery already (although i would use more if given), i'm a bit wary of eating anything cooked by my kids Blush , i don't use Amazon, i don't go to coffee shops, i have just Kondo'd my house so really don't want mugs and keyrings filling it up again. I sound like a right misery!

All the children in DS' class drew an A4 picture of their teacher, one of the dads bound it for us (he is an artist, but it was basic yet cool binding), and that was it. Kids are 6yo and the teacher has had them for 2 years. She loved the gift and cried.

I can imagine her keeping it forever to flip through.

I still have cards from 14 years ago that I flip through.

I get paid - that is enough.

BlueIsYou · 19/07/2017 10:36

I don't get the John Lewis voucher thing.

I and many don't live remotely near one and the online website is fine but not something I'm familiar with.

Then again, I'm not a teacher Grin

There are vouchers you can buy to use in multiple outlets/restraunts/shops. All in one voucher.

I'd get the teacher that!

bettyetty · 19/07/2017 10:36

I got 3 for 6 chocolate squares from Thorntons and a chocolate medal for 2 pound from there too in a little gift bag.
I normally do more but can't stand his teachers way of teaching him so it's a small gesture as he has been plain miserable!

I do normally do a big afternoon tea and send it in a basket, pick bits up over several weeks and get reduced cup cakes ( still in date ) last minute from Asda to say thanks to all staff inc cleaners dinner staff etc cost me 20 quidish covers they love it ! but so mad this year lucky they getting that!
Friends are dinner ladies so I send them a personal messages as they know I'm pissed 😂

Hidethecrisps · 19/07/2017 10:42

I get paid to do my job so don't expect anything, however if i am given something I am very honoured and appreciate the thought no matter what it is. Saying that some things are more useful than others... mugs or anything with best teacher on tend to fill the house with clutter. Got loads of candles etc. Chocolates / wine anything that can be used up are lovely as are cards with nice notes inside.

0hCrepe · 19/07/2017 10:45

I'm a teacher and I got dd's teachers m&s vouchers.

twisterinyogapants · 19/07/2017 10:45

Mine have Waterstones vouchers for the class teachers this year and chocolates for TA and receptionist. Head will get a nice bottle of wine because I know what she drinks.

DownstairsMixUp · 19/07/2017 10:46

We got his ta prosseco and chocolates and his teacher we got a notebook with a message from ds inside the front page thanking him for teaching him and saying he will miss him and chocs. I wouldnt bother with mugs as i can imagine they get tons

fizzicles · 19/07/2017 10:51

Some people express their gratitude and appreciation through gifts, some through words of thanks. It's not that he's to understand, is it?

BlueIsYou · 19/07/2017 10:52

OhCrepe You are a star for that Smile

BasilInTheRatatouille · 19/07/2017 10:58

Great ideas about what to get/what not to get. Thank you.
Will def send a message to head about one particular person, as I think much of what she does is over and above, and not necessarily recognised.
Must admit, DS' biscuits are rather tasty, and the teacher profess to love them (obviously this in now in doubt :)) but I do omit the dog's paw involvement ;)
I get that teachers and school staff are paid to do their jobs but I also think that going the extra mile should be recognised, as it is in many jobs. Plus DS loves giving gifts and it's a nice lesson for him to learn.
Btw, DS has SN and is in yr 8 in a mainstream secondary.

OP posts:
Jaynesworld · 19/07/2017 10:59

Dd is making thank you cards for her teachers x

PeggyPatchandPoppy · 19/07/2017 10:59

I would also like an email to my boss :-)

BasilInTheRatatouille · 19/07/2017 11:15

i would also like an email to my boss.
Although I'm self-employed so I'd have to write to myself. In fact I'm going to do that as a little perk-up.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.