My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

When you put a lot of effort into a job interview..

81 replies

GirlOnATrainToShite · 17/07/2017 18:30

And you get there and totally feel like there is an internal candidate who has been primed and lined up for it?

Went for public sector job today and there were 6 candidates, including myself, one of them the leaving persons deputy.

Very cagey about being "internal" to the point they pretended they didn't know their way round on the tour of the building and when approached by a staff member ushered them away.

We were asked to give a presentation which she would have had a massive advantage in knowing what they were looking for (I emailed in advance and got as much info as possible and it's a job I am already doing).

One of the interview panel gave us a speech at the beginning of the day saying if you are offering this this and this then this is not the right job for you - which internal candidate would have known!

Clearly I was not successful and neither were two others (one told she was too inexperienced- so why did they interview her?!) so this could be sour grapes but AIBU to think this is unfair and a bloody waste of my time and energy and new bloody dress

And bets on that she got it.

Is this ok?

Over 60 applicants.

OP posts:
DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops · 18/07/2017 13:34

YANBU and it must be gutting, but I have had the opposite experience watching colleagues apply as internal candidates. My overall boss is famous for not promoting internally. She does it very rarely, which I appreciate makes her very even handed (and rightly so) but she then moans and wonders why her talent pool leaves. It's usually for the promotion or enhanced role she denied them!

Youcanttaketheskyfromme · 18/07/2017 13:44

I hate this. It's never happened to me but I feel it's absolutely ridiculous for all involved.

My boss was interviewed for her "new" role - also advertised externally.

She'd already been doing it for 2 years without the promotion to this role being actually given to her.

There was literally no one that could do it as well as she could at that time for our company.

Waste of everyone's time.

NoNameMentioned · 18/07/2017 13:54

I was once one of 4 people in temporary positions. There were then 3 permanant jobs going. One temp wasn't interested, they interviewed the other 3 and 1 external candidate. I was the one rejected. Now that really hurts.

It is bloody annoying though when you go for an interview and you know before you start that they are just going through the motions.

bakedbeansandtuna · 18/07/2017 15:14

@MargaretCavendish just saw your response - thank you I appreciate it 👍🏻😊

user7214743615 · 18/07/2017 15:39

Internal appointments are the norm for initial teaching posts.

In some universities and academic fields, perhaps. Not mine.

TempusEejit · 18/07/2017 15:47

I gave up even applying for public sector jobs a few years ago as they make you fill out a massive application form containing loads of competency based questions that take ages to complete, only to turn up and find out you're merely attending an internal candidate's promotion party (not always, of course, but a lot of the time).

Hope you find something better soon OP.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.