My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think if you have mental health problems and no family or friends, you're fucked?

39 replies

Lostsomewhereawful · 16/07/2017 15:50

What are you supposed to do after they stop your PIP and then housing benefit, because they insist you are well but you actually are not well and now can't pay for anything?

Believing doctors you keep hoping that someday you WILL be properly well again and able to have a great job someday and a fulfilling life. But if you're not "there" and then you have no means to keep yourself alive and safe and fed....People are definitely going to start wondering if suicide is the most compassionate choice they can make for themselves.

OP posts:
Lostsomewhereawful · 16/07/2017 15:51

Actually, I don't mean friends should shoulder a burden of a depressed person living with them I just mean sometimes people can stay with friends for a bit in an emergency.

But if you have nobody, your'e fucked yes?

OP posts:
KoalaDownUnder · 16/07/2017 15:51

YANBU. It is quite appalling. Sad

PurpleDaisies · 16/07/2017 15:53

Are you in this situation? Do you need help right now?

HeyMacWey · 16/07/2017 15:54

Yep - you're fucked.
Not just for mental health either. Lots of people with invisible chronic illnesses are facing the same.
If it wasn't for my family, at times, I wouldn't be able to eat not having the energy to make food.

PurpleDaisies · 16/07/2017 15:56

hey looking at the op's other post she's very likely to be the one in the situation she described and really needs help right now. "You're fucked" isn't the most sensible thing to say here.

mummyrabbitpeppapig · 16/07/2017 15:58

Practical help wise - see citizens advice asap re what money / help you may be entitled to

turquoiseblueandgreen · 16/07/2017 15:58
Flowers
HeyMacWey · 16/07/2017 15:59

But there are avenues for support - mental health charities to advocate and help take pip decisions to tribunal etc.

Local churches will respond positively to people who reach out to them.

Pariswhenitdrizzles · 16/07/2017 16:00

Lost are you okay? Flowers Would you like to tell us a bit more about your situation?

If you're feeling very low, please, please make an emergency appointment with your GP as soon as you can or go to A&E Flowers

HeyMacWey · 16/07/2017 16:00

Yes sorry - I wasn't aware of the back story.

mypussyiscalledCaramel · 16/07/2017 16:02

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HeyMacWey · 16/07/2017 16:02

There are avenues, but you need to seek them out and be persistent.

If you're feeling really pessimistic about the future then please go to your gp/crisis line.

Lostsomewhereawful · 16/07/2017 16:04

HeyMacway, you didn't say anything wrong. I posted the thread becasue I know that the situation is what it is. I suppose I keep desperately wondering is there something I can fix, can try to do, something that everyone else knows that I just don't know.

I feel like part of my brain is missing. Other than that I don't want to really discuss details of my situation because I don't have the energy,

I have been to CAB. MIND couldn't help me because I don't have a social care package. My gp won't refer me for a social care package because I don't have learning difficulties or something like psychosis and criteria are strict where I live.

OP posts:
erinaceus · 16/07/2017 16:07

Lostsomewhereawful Do you have a roof over your head for tonight? That is the first thing.

Lostsomewhereawful · 16/07/2017 16:07

My gp cannot do anything except suggest SSRI medication which had a bad effect on me before.

My psychiatrist suggested paying for sessions of therapy I cannot afford. Go figure.

People always say oh there's help but there really isn't much out there, or perhaps for some very specific problem but there is honestly not much available in terms of either therapy or social care help with things like helping to find safe housing or stuff like that.

OP posts:
Pariswhenitdrizzles · 16/07/2017 16:10

Lost can your GP refer you for free counselling? Flowers

Lostsomewhereawful · 16/07/2017 16:23

Sorry for such a depressing thread I'm just fucked off and sad about my siituation today but I will figure it out. The money aspect has me worried, feeling like a huge failure and beating myself up.

Before the money panic I was doing well. I can't work out if I was just kidding myself though while I was feeling fine, because if I can't eanr my own money that does feel like I'm basically a waste of space now.

OP posts:
erinaceus · 16/07/2017 16:35

The money intersecting with sense of self-worth thing is one of the failures of the capitalist system. The cost to humanity of such an equation, and so on and so forth.

How is your financial situation at the moment?

Lostsomewhereawful · 16/07/2017 16:39

Dire. I cant stop worrying.

OP posts:
Babyroobs · 16/07/2017 16:40

I think there needs to be a lot more therpy/ support for people generally with mental health issues. On various disability forums I read , there just seems to be huge numbers of people trying to claim PIP for mental health issues, depression / post traumatic stress/ anxiety etc and it is hard to get. There needs to be a lot more support an interventions for people before it gets to this point .

erinaceus · 16/07/2017 16:41

Is it an about-to-be-homeless situation, or a bailiffs-at-the-door one, or neither?

Lostsomewhereawful · 16/07/2017 16:41

My landlord has hinted he would accept payment in kind.

I cannot do that. That sets me off on a whole road of thinking how have I ended up in this situation?

OP posts:
OhOhDearling · 16/07/2017 16:45

I'm not 100% up to date with the benefit system but would you be able to claim Housing Benefit on a Nil Income basis?

erinaceus · 16/07/2017 16:46

Crumbs. That sounds distressing. Do you feel safe where you are at the moment?

finnmcool · 16/07/2017 16:53

You can request your psychiatrist writes letters to all the relevant agencies.
A letter to your GP explaining that you're not coping mentally with the financial situation.
A letter to the DWP and PIP outlining your health situation.
What benefits are you on? It sounds like you're not on ESA but should be. If you are on ESA and in the back to work group, you can appeal this on section 25 to the best of my knowledge. I also believe you can submit a late appeal based on being vulnerable.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.