Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not let the tradesman in?

57 replies

MummysBusy · 13/07/2017 20:08

I had recently emailed our lettings agent about a few things, including some very overdue repairs on a window that I'd like completed. Heard back from the lettings agent today via email, but they didn't mention anything about repairs.

6pm comes and there's a knock on the door. A man says he's been sent from the agent to look at the window. I've not heard anything from the letting agent about it, it's too late to ring them and check that they've sent him out. He doesn't seem to know what the repair is. He has no tools and I can't see a van. I told him that I wasn't expecting anyone and I'd rather have confirmation before I let him in the house, could he come back tommorow?

At this point he gets very pissed off and tells me he'll have to report that I'm being awkward and won't let him in. I tell him that's fine and shut the door.

Was ibu? It was just me and the baby at the time, I know it's probably all fine but it really put my back up. We've had a post-it on the window saying "do not open" for ages, so it's not exactly hard to tell it needs fixing. I feel really stupid and I'm dreading talking to the letting agent tomorrow.

OP posts:
Questioningeverything · 13/07/2017 20:09

Ywnbu. I wouldn't have let him in either. He could have been anyone

MsMarvel · 13/07/2017 20:10

Did he have ID or anything that he showed you?

Tbh even if he did I would habe probably done the same as you.

Ginosaji · 13/07/2017 20:11

Yanbu, it may have been genuine, but as the agent didn't let you know, you jave no way of knowing, i would of done the same, if the agents complain when you talk to them tomorrow then point out its their fault for not informing you and that you wasn't prepared to take the risk with so many scammers out there

TheFreaksShallInheritTheEarth · 13/07/2017 20:18

YANBU. Your agents should have let you know, and a genuine experienced tradesman should have ID and be sensitive to female residents being reluctant to let strange men in!

CupOfTeaAndAGoodBook · 13/07/2017 20:23

I would contact the agents first before he can, tell them when they book someone to fix the window can they be sure to give you details, because you've just had someone obviously fraudulent trying to blag his way into your flat.

Obviously fraudulent might be stretching it a tad, but it'll hopefully put the agent on the back foot and make them realise that it's important to let tenants know this stuff.

Flypaperforarseholes · 13/07/2017 20:24

Not unreasonable at all, the agent should have made a mutually convenient appointment for the tradesman to call round. You pay the rent, it's your home, if you don't feel safe letting someone in, you don't have to and you shouldn't feel pressured into it, either.

CurlsandCurves · 13/07/2017 20:27

Sounds odd to me. DH is a tradesman and when dealing with rented properties we where possible ask for the tenants number to deal with them direct because it's simply easier than trying to arrange via a landlord or letting agent and having a three way conversation.

Unless DH knew he was going to be let in to do the work he wouldn't go.

BeeFarseer · 13/07/2017 20:29

CupOfTea has good advice - I'd do that.

I wouldn't have let him in either.

WhenWasThat · 13/07/2017 20:34

It wouldn't have bothered me at all. It wouldn't have crossed my mind he was anyone other than the agents tradesman - it would be too complicated a lie to be a scam. You tell the agents you need the windows fixed and a guy turns up saying the agents sent him to fix the window ..... not sure how there could be too much of a chance of it being a scammer.

I'd have just been happy he had turned up. I'd have made him a cup of tea and let him get on with it. πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ I'd have even let him use the toilet if he wanted. 😱😱😱

.....but I'm apparently not your typical Mumsnetter.

BabsGanoush · 13/07/2017 20:37

It sounds odd, but if you go to your agent wanting a window repaired and a few days later a man appears saying the agent sent him to repair the window its a hell of a co-incidence.

Could you have asked which agent or some other more identifying detail. It just seems a shame as you will be waiting even longer for the repair.

MummysBusy · 13/07/2017 21:06

Babs he did have the right agent, which is what makes me feel like I'm being stupid. That and him basically telling me that I was being stupid. At the same time though, he wouldn't be the first scammer at the door and it was quite scary last time. Aren't agents supposed to give you notice by law though?

OP posts:
PenguinOfDoom · 13/07/2017 21:12

I'm going to go against the flow here and say YABU. You reported a problem with the window, a man turned up saying he was there to fix the window and gave the name of the agency. I'm not surprised he was annoyed - I would be too. Plus you've delayed your repair even further.

DJBaggySmalls · 13/07/2017 21:14

YANBU, they are supposed to give you at least 24 hours notice. The fact he got aggressive is good enough reason to not let him in.
He should have phoned the letting agent, not had a row on the doorstep.

Zafodbeeblbrox10 · 13/07/2017 21:20

Have you never heard of wiretapping? In this so-called information age, any scoundrel can get any info they want, so if the OP didn't feel happy about the situation I wouldn't blame her. Do the things we read in the news just happen to "other" people?

PenguinOfDoom · 13/07/2017 21:24

Wiretapping? For what reason? Don't be so ridiculous. This isn't fucking MI5 trying to sneak into the OP's flat.

Honestly!

Aquamarine1029 · 13/07/2017 21:30

NEVER apologize for thinking of your safety and that of your child. You had no fucking idea who this guy was, and you're supposed to just let him into your home? I don't think so.

Zafodbeeblbrox10 · 13/07/2017 21:42

penguin stalker?

londonrach · 13/07/2017 21:45

Yanbu. Youve no idea who is. Report to ea first thing.

londonrach · 13/07/2017 21:49

Penguin...you seriously let in a man with no tools no idea what the job is and you have no idea who he is as you hadnt been informed he was coming. As someone who does home visits for the elderly you would believe how many have done when you suggest and lost valuable. Op was totally correct in this case but needs to report back to ea.

WhenWasThat · 13/07/2017 22:19

,,you seriously let in a man with no tools no idea what the job is and you have no idea who he is as you hadnt been informed he was coming

πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ The OP asked the agency to get the window to be fixed and then a man turns up saying he's been sent by the agency to fix the window. I don't think that counts as having no idea who he is. πŸ€”

TheMaddHugger · 13/07/2017 22:25

No Tools, No Van, No ID. No prior Notice of....

No Entry

MummysBusy · 13/07/2017 22:29

Thanks for the messages everyone. I took cupoftea's advice and emailed the letting agent on the assumption that it was a scammer. OH has just pointed out that you can put our address into zoopla and see from the property history which agency was last advertising the house, so I feel a bit more justified.

Sods law says he was legit and they'll want to send him back round tomorrow Blush

OP posts:
AntagonyAunt · 13/07/2017 22:45

He probably was legit but that's not entirely the point. They should have the courtesy to notify you of when a tradesman will be attending. Sounds like the agent just couldn't be bothered to. You have done nothing wrong so when you call them tomorrow just make it clear that you need to be informed of appointments.

SabineUndine · 13/07/2017 22:48

If he's legit, not only is the agent out of order for not telling you beforehand, but the tradesman is too for calling you 'awkward'. I'd complain about that.

GivePeasAGo · 13/07/2017 22:51

Yanbu op. Our old ea so shit and used to forget to email us as much as their contractors forgot to call us. I started turning people away who came at stupid times an I had no idea if they were genuine.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.