Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Bridesmaid dress HELP ME!!!

38 replies

Henrysmycat · 13/07/2017 09:52

I am sorry, this is on AIBU but I am posting for traffic as I am desperate!!
I am a bridesmaid to a wedding overseas where I am the only British resident. The bride told us long time go about the dresses and the colour she wanted us to wear and send us samples. I was on thyroid therapy and training and I was sure my body would change so I delayed buying the dress. Fast forward to now and it's 5 weeks to the wedding and all the wedding places I tried do not carry this colour. "Not as popular in the UK as it is in other parts of the world. (the colour btw is a purple called Regency).
Some shops gave me leadtimes of 17 and 12 weeks to get me the dress which obviously that is not good enough.
I found some Chinese companies online that do these things but I have heard so many horror stories and I can't afford timewise to waste another 4 week if the dress they do is not good. Any ideas where to go? budget is £150 which is not enough for someone to make me a dress down south.
I am not from the UK and never been bridesmaid or got married here so my wedding knowledge is extremely limited.

OP posts:
MsLexicon · 13/07/2017 10:24

<a class="break-all" href="//www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Chiffon-Evening-Purple-YF7555-2/dp/B011K73UL2/ref=sr_1_10/259-0135479-8689130?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1499937777&sr=1-10&nodeID=1731351031&psd=1&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">//www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Chiffon-Evening-Purple-YF7555-2/dp/B011K73UL2/ref=sr_1_10/259-0135479-8689130?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1499937777&sr=1-10&nodeID=1731351031&psd=1&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

there you go and next day delivery if you take ut a month free Prime trial!

QuimReaper · 13/07/2017 10:25

When I got engaged I somehow ended up on "David's Bridal"'s mailing list and I always thought it was the most hilarious name for a bridal shop Grin

I didn't actually realise they were a British company - I have a counterpart in America whose mail I often get and I assumed they were for her. I wonder how they got my details Hmm

WowWowDouble · 13/07/2017 10:25

Purple can be really hard to match Confused

Jolie Moi at John Lewis

Notsosureanymoors · 13/07/2017 10:32

Noo not sexy her. I had a bridesmaids dress from there. Cost the bride £100 for each dress and on the wedding day after the short journey in the car to the church we got out and they were SOOOOO creased. The material is cheap and disgusting and the dresses looked awful on the day. Didnt help she chose a gross shade of grey. I was bridesmaid at another wedding and got amazing dresses from Quiz via debenhams and I've till got it and i love it. It was high quality, thick and lined and did not crease and was only £70 per dress. If they do anything cadbury purple I'd recommend quiz. Both the dresses i had were strappy maxi dresses.

scampimom · 13/07/2017 10:33

I got my bridesmaid's dress from Light In The Box. Plus points are:

• LOADS of colour options
  • Decent price
  • Made to measure

Drawbacks are:
  • You must remember that you'll need to pay a custom's charge ON TOP of the P&P. This was about £20 for me
  • Although their lead times are pretty quick, you still have the worry of it coming from China - once it's left their factory they and you have no control over the package
Henrysmycat · 13/07/2017 10:35

Thanks! I am looking into your suggestions now! You guys ROCK!!!! Grin

OP posts:
MimiSunshine · 13/07/2017 10:35

Would this be suitable? m.asos.com/asos/asos-wedding-lace-jersey-pleated-maxi-dress/prd/7379209?iid=7379209&clr=Aubergine&SearchQuery=&cid=8799&pgesize=100&pge=0&totalstyles=66&gridsize=2&gridrow=19&gridcolumn=2
They do a knee length version as well.

Or try amazon. Google amazon dresses and you can filter for colour / size / price. This one looks nice

SilveryFlowers · 13/07/2017 10:38

I've got this- the photo does not make it clear, but it looks like cadbury purple to me. Monsoon, size 14, full length, very pretty. I got loads of compliments. It is sort of chiffon with satin panels.

Happy to package and send to you for you to see it.

Henrysmycat · 13/07/2017 10:46

AWW! thank you, SilveryFlowers but the colour is a little bit more purple than your satiny panel so it doesn't really match. Thank you so much.

OP posts:
MrsBadger · 13/07/2017 10:50

(I'll bow to your expertise @Notsosureanymoors - we didn't wear them for the day in the end as the bride had sudden u-turn on theme/ colour and put us in black dresses from Lindy Bop which were MUCH nicer... but don't come in purple)

SilveryFlowers · 13/07/2017 10:52

I'tsa pleasure, Henry. Good luck with your search!

OhBeggerItsMorning · 13/07/2017 12:06

//www.wishesbridal.com have plenty of regency purple bridesmaid and evening dresses and they have a massive sale on, one I saw was 655 dollars down to 131 dollars, there are plenty of others at various prices, (cheaper and more expensive) so a lot of choice, but you would need to work out your size in American sizes. Shipping for the one I saw was 35 dollars for standard, 42 for faster service to the UK. There is a big choice so you would probably find something to suit you there.

I searched for images of "purple regency bridesmaid dresses" in bing.com and there are loads of results, you could try that and just follow the links of ones you like the look of to find where you can get them from and the prices, rather than having to find individual sites and searching all those individually.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.