Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask your opinion on a 'mini cruise'

31 replies

PickettBowtruckles · 12/07/2017 21:02

DH and I got married earlier this year, we'd like to do something a bit different or special for our first wedding anniversary. We don't have a whole load of money as planning to buy a house, but have a little bit.

We've looked at abroad but v expensive, and can't find anything suitable. We've found a "mini cruise" that goes from Southampton, to Bruges, to Amsterdam, and back to Southampton. It's 4 nights and we'd be there on our actual anniversary. It's £300 each for the 4 nights (full board) with an inside cabin (lowest price cabin!).

Am I going to get what I pay for and we'll have a rubbish time, or is it worth it for a few nights away? Neither of us have ever been on a cruise and neither have any of our family so don't really have anyone to ask!

OP posts:
MrsMoastyToasty · 12/07/2017 22:03

DM recently did a mini cruise from Avonmouth (convenient for her as she lives in Bristol and didn't want to have to fly out to join the ship). It took in the Scilly Isles, the Channel Islands and one of the European ports (can't remember which)

Sidge · 12/07/2017 22:34

We did this exact same cruise over the New Year! It was great, Bruges and Amsterdam are lovely, and the ship was fine. Food was very good, cabin clean and functional and whilst it lacked the little extra touches I was hoping for (I'd been spoilt previously with my first cruise with Cunard) it was good value.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but I've really enjoyed cruising, and even if you hate it it's only 4 nights.

Spuddington · 12/07/2017 23:28

Our royal Caribbean mini cruise was on anthem of the seas and wasn't a party cruise at all. In fact there was one rowdy family who were warned about their behaviour the first night and forced to disembark in Bruges! I loved every second.

NeverTwerkNaked · 12/07/2017 23:38

It's a bit Butlinsy, but you can pick and choose what you want from the ship.
When we first got on to do that same cruise I was horrified and a bit upset by the loud and lewd hen parties etc.
But actually I think they then all parties so hard on the first night they were subdued the rest of the time.
The shows and entertainment were good. We were on a budget so didn't pay for the "extras" but think if it was a honeymoon or something it would be worth indulging in some spa time.
We didn't do the excursions, we just used to free shuttle bus to explore the nearest vplace and do some random exploring.

Overall, don't expect a very refined bunch of fellow cruisers, but it is a fun adventure

Moanranger · 12/07/2017 23:39

I went on an MSC mini- cruise last year -v cheap & v sedate, the crowd was mostly Europeans & middle aged. In May, over a weekend. Pleasant, but it did not convert me.

misscarlar · 13/07/2017 07:48

My sister did a p and o mini cruise recently and enjoyed it but the boat she was on didn't sail until late afternoon on departure day and got back in at 9 am on return so they felt they lost time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.