Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

More of a WWYD as well as AIBU

15 replies

crustybreadfortea · 12/07/2017 13:50

-nc but am a regular - dont want this linking to my usual name-

I work in a relatively small business c.30 staff. I have a colleague at work who is lovely. Get on really well with her. She is also my boss' daughter. I get on well with my boss most of the time

There are occasions where they take lunch together in the kitchen.

I cant help but sometimes feel uncomfortable when they are talking about family reacted things. By this I mean in depth stuff about other family members etc. It's not them personally making me uncomfortable but I feel like I would be intruding to take lunch with them and end up sitting silent as it's not a general conversation to join in with.

AIBU in feeling this way and WWYD?

OP posts:
crustybreadfortea · 12/07/2017 13:51

family reacted things. - read family RELATED things

OP posts:
thefutureisfemale · 12/07/2017 15:18

Must be traumatic for you

SonicBoomBoom · 12/07/2017 15:20

They obviously don't mind if they talk about it with you present.

Don't get the issue.

BibbidiBobbidi · 12/07/2017 15:22

Don't see the problem really, just get on with your lunch.

Blazedandconfused · 12/07/2017 15:33

What is the problem exactly?

crustybreadfortea · 12/07/2017 15:44

Its a very small 4 seater table. I feel that if I sat there whilst they are discussing things, it's like I'm an audience member. Or sitting at heir family dinner table. Or I'll just end up sat in silence eating my lunch.

OP posts:
JeReviens · 12/07/2017 15:54

This is most definitely not an issue worth name-changing for.

Allthebestnamesareused · 12/07/2017 16:16

If they were uncomfortable with your hearing what they were saying they wouldn't say it. So carry on eating!

Jellybean85 · 12/07/2017 16:38

Sometimes colleagues in our lunch area are discussing their own personal issues. I've even had someone on the phone to their doctor discussion personal medical info.
Mind your own business? Put head phones? Eat elsewhere?

I think unless people are discussing
Something inappropriate (colleagues) or offensive they're allowed to talk about what they want on their lunch break?

crustybreadfortea · 12/07/2017 16:42

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have no issue with what theyre talking about - they can talk about what they like. It's me that feels awkward. Like I;m intruding. Silly I suppose. I feel like I'm gatecrashing.

OP posts:
AntagonyAunt · 12/07/2017 16:51

Some people are more open than others. I had someone I had known for a week tell me that she had a problem with reoccurent thrush.

MissionItsPossible · 12/07/2017 16:56

Why don't you sit somewhere else or have lunch by yourself? I work in a similar sized office and sometimes will take off to have lunch by myself while listening to music and reading. I work with the same people for almost 40 hours a week I don't want to spend every lunch and break with them as well!

Emily7708 · 12/07/2017 16:57

I would just read a book while I'm eating. It wouldn't bother me at all.

Tazerface · 12/07/2017 17:07

If they were bothered about you hearing, then they would go elsewhere or leave it till the end of the day.

Take a book and don't sweat it.

dollydaydream114 · 12/07/2017 17:59

Nobody is obliged to tailor their conversation to your needs. If two people (whether they're related or not) are having a chat over lunch, they can talk about whatever they want. Unless it's actually offensive in some way, YABU. They don't have to stop their conversation and find a topic that pleases you just because you're having your lunch at the same time as them and it's not really their fault you find it uncomfortable.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.