Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To want help giving up smoking.

16 replies

IamScarfaceClaw · 09/07/2017 11:28

I have been taking Champix tablets for 11 days now....I have not smoked a cigarette since 9am yesterday and I feel as though I am one huge walking craving!

To add to this both DP and DD are ill and whining at me, I would love to escape to the garden and have a sneaky smoke!

Please distract me!
And reformed smokers- do you still miss it? Because I can't imagine even not wanting to smoke at this moment.

OP posts:
ConstanceCraving · 09/07/2017 11:34

One full day without a cigarette is fabulous.
Paint your nails, put a face mask on, do something nice just for you. Read a book or go for a walk. Start a new box set.

Anything to take your mind of it. You're doing great Smile

MrsJayy · 09/07/2017 11:40

I stopped smoking 5 months ago id happily kill somebody for a fag some days. Champix isn't niccotine replacement so you are withdrawing cravings never go away you just need to acknowledge that and let them pass good luck.

TipTopTipTopClop · 09/07/2017 11:42

Amazingly well done, OP.

Have you tried the mints?

MrsJayy · 09/07/2017 11:45

Dh used the mints i have an inhalator thing

IamScarfaceClaw · 09/07/2017 11:52

Thanks all (preens)
No no mints,spray gum etc.

I have normal chewing gum and trying to distract myself any way possible, I still have tobacco in the house and I'm almost bargaining with myself- "nothing for an hour" and then after that hour making the same deal, I'm not sure if that helps or makes it worse!

OP posts:
VivienneWestwoodsKnickers · 09/07/2017 11:52

My DP gave up smoking with Champix. He's been free of fags for over six months and says he no longer wants one. The smell of them now turns his stomach. He failed with tablets and patches, but this was a brilliant solution for him.

Please don't take any nicotine replacements whilst on Champix unless with the permission of your health professional supporting you.

IamScarfaceClaw · 09/07/2017 11:53

I'm glad your DP no longer wants to smoke Viv, that gives me hope that I won't always feel like this- MrsJ had me worried to be honest!

OP posts:
TipTopTipTopClop · 09/07/2017 11:54

Excellent strategy. The way I get myself on the treadmill is by giving myself permission to take only a short run, and once that's over I renegotiate a longer run with myself.

It really helps to set small goals and give yourself room to be imperfect when you can't cope.

SaucyJack · 09/07/2017 11:54

Give the tobacco away. You don't want to smoke, so you don't need it.

I don't miss smoking at all
meself, but I vape so I still have the hand to mouth nicotine habit.

TheSecretMrsFairbrother · 09/07/2017 11:55

I used Champix, it was about two weeks before I stopped having cravings.

Best thing I ever did, three years since I had a cigarette. I'm the same as Viviennes husband, the smell is vile to me.

MrsJayy · 09/07/2017 11:56

The length of time is longer and longer so i can go days and then have a craving i bargain with it so if i can go a few days i will buy fags but i don't

IamScarfaceClaw · 09/07/2017 11:57

Ahhh saucy you are probably right but it is easier to not smoke knowing that I could if I 'needed' to!

OP posts:
MamaG1980 · 09/07/2017 11:57

I enjoyed the act rather than being addicted. I used an inhalator for times of need, when I quit, which have dwindled soo much,

ConstanceCraving · 09/07/2017 12:05

Definitely get rid of cigarettes in the house. They will keep calling you to have one.

countycouncil · 09/07/2017 12:12

I stopped almost 8 years ago. I read the Allen Carr Easy Way to Stop Smoking book and literally never smoked again. You can do this. You are doing it! Time will pass no matter what so picture yourself 3 weeks from now smelling lovely, looking better and being so so glad you're a non smoker.

porridgetits · 09/07/2017 12:18

Another fan of the Alan Carr book. I used the audiobook. Well worth a try as if the message doesn't sink in first time of reading/listening, you just go over it again til it does. Much better than spending the rest of your life wanting to smoke but depriving yourself, it removes the cravings for most people that use it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.