My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Inappropriate A and E use letter from GP?

177 replies

HurtleTheTurtle · 09/07/2017 09:50

Opening last week's mail and I've received A letter from the partner's at my GP surgery stating that I have used A and E inappropriately. It notes that I "am a frequent visitor to A and E, and that I must access other resources to treat minor ailments".

Does anyone know if these are sent out after a set number of A and E attendances? I had three attendances in a week last week; I would expect that if there was an issue A and E would have raised it with me? It was on their instruction that I returned.

AIBU to actually point this out with the GP surgery and ensure this isn't placed on my medical records?

OP posts:
Crunchymum · 09/07/2017 09:50

What were you in A&E for?

luckylucky24 · 09/07/2017 09:51

I don't think A&E can turn people away. Why did you go?

planetclom · 09/07/2017 09:52

Think we need to know why you were there.

blackteasplease · 09/07/2017 09:52

We had one when ex took dd to hospital thinking she had a broken ankle but she didn't. He thought she needed an x ray and no where else has a machine.

I can see their point though. He just over panics.

FeckinCrutches · 09/07/2017 09:52

Surely it depends on what you were using the service for?

Fletchasaurus · 09/07/2017 09:52

As above, what you went for determines if it is an appropriate letter?

ThePinkOcelot · 09/07/2017 09:53

3 times in 1 week does seem a lot, but if they told you to go back!! I didn't realise GPs sent letters out like this.

KoolKoala07 · 09/07/2017 09:54

Really depends what it was used for?

SerendipityFelix · 09/07/2017 09:54

Does it actually say 'inappropriate' and reference your specific reason for using A&E? It might be just a standard automatic things triggered by so many visits in a short period.

Devilishpyjamas · 09/07/2017 09:54

Why did they tell you to return? (I really disagree with these letters by the way - they will cost lives).

monochromeunicorn · 09/07/2017 09:55

I had a similar letter for my DS.

Ironically it was a GP at their surgery who had sent us to A&E, and she had even given us a referral letter to give to the staff in A&E explaining why she'd sent us there!!!

Devilishpyjamas · 09/07/2017 09:56

My son went to A&E twice in one day (had two full blown tonic clonic seizures) - attending frequently isn't necessarily a sign of misusing the service.

HurtleTheTurtle · 09/07/2017 09:57

First visit: I had an epileptic seizure just as I was coming off the last few steps of an escalator. I actually went home and slept, but had another seizure after lunch and went to the hospital after that as something didn't feel "right" (and, I realised my period was late). I had a nasty bang to my neck and head (still have a lovely egg on my head). Stayed in overnight and for the next day.

Second visit: Another seizure. I was told to go straight back in if I had another one.

Third visit: Vomiting (again, it was on my list of instructions of when to go back in, but I did actually call 111 to see if I could avoid another trip in as I was certain it was related to the fact they'd just doubled my anti-epileptic medication). It was the medication.

OP posts:
MrsMozart · 09/07/2017 09:59

Your reasons for visiting sound perfectly reasonable. I'd reply in writing, short and to the point as above.

Timeforabiscuit · 09/07/2017 10:00

Because a&e is too fucking busy to tell you what is inappropriate!

They send a letter to you and GP because they dont know what else is going on with you i.e. health anxiety, so the gp can use the letter to flag a referral.

HurtleTheTurtle · 09/07/2017 10:00

I am hoping it's an automatic letter triggered by the number of frequent attendances in quick succession, rather than anyone thinking I have actually done anything wrong!

OP posts:
Timeforabiscuit · 09/07/2017 10:01

In that case a&e is entirely appropriate!

Hope your medication gets sorted Flowers

olympicsrock · 09/07/2017 10:03

Bollocks! As a doctor your attendances were all reasonable. This must be an automatically generated letter.

ASDismynormality · 09/07/2017 10:03

My friend had a phone from the school nurse after her DD had visited A&E 3 times in 6 months. The nurse was really apologetic as all visits had been perfectly valid but she had guidelines to follow.

AshesEmbersFlames · 09/07/2017 10:04

It doesn't sound as if you were using A&E inappropriately at all. I would reply to the practice manager of your GP surgery saying what you have in your most recent post. I think it inappropriate of them to send this to you, frankly.

SerendipityFelix · 09/07/2017 10:04

That all sounds perfectly reasonable. I guess the vomiting could have been a same-day GP appointment rather than A&E.... but for most of us it'd be a case of good luck getting one of those PLUS they'd bloody told you to go back to A&E for that.

I'd definitely reply with the facts.

Hope you're feeling better!

Timeforabiscuit · 09/07/2017 10:04

Fingers crossed the A&E letter acts as a slap for the GP, or maybe your consultant, so you can stabalise quickly.

BallOrAerosol · 09/07/2017 10:04

I think three seizures in a week plus vomiting due to the medication should not be classed as 'minor ailments'. What was your GP thinking? YANBU!

EdmundCleverClogs · 09/07/2017 10:05

They send a letter to you and GP because they dont know what else is going on with you i.e. health anxiety, so the gp can use the letter to flag a referral.

Except this obviously wasn't the case here Hmm. The first visit was entirely appropriate and the second two were based on the OP being told to return. I highly doubt epilepsy and a possible head injury is being a bloody hypochondriac and wasting resources.

Notreallyarsed · 09/07/2017 10:05

Actually I don't think it sounds as if you used it inappropriately at all. I hope the new meds help and your seizures are under control too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.