Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

drinking too much

6 replies

user1486156729 · 06/07/2017 22:02

I drink too much, I know this - two bottles of wine a night is far too much.
It seems that my 'only hope' is Alcoholics Anonymous.
Trouble is that I am an atheist, and to me, there is no Higher Power.
Anyone have any ideas, which might help me?
(Not hoping for much) but a bit hopeful.

OP posts:
porridgetits · 06/07/2017 22:04

Alan Carr's Easy Way to stop drinking. Book or audiobook. Worked marvels for me.

Wolfiefan · 06/07/2017 22:05

It's not your only hope at all. The fact you know it's too much is an enormous point in your favour. Your GP may be able to point you in the direction of support that isn't the AA. It really isn't for everyone.
Really and truly good luck OP. Sorting this would make such a massive difference to your health and life and mood and those around you. Your purse too! Flowers

user1480334601 · 06/07/2017 22:05

If you stay in UK a trip to your gp would be a good first step to discuss your options I think? Hopefully someone else with more experience can confirm this

Hugs to you. It's not easy, but realising and acknowledging you have a problem is an amazing first step Flowers good luck OP

LittleLionMansMummy · 06/07/2017 22:06

Why do you say AA is your only hope? It's not for everyone, but need a few more details to go on op. Well done for acknowledging you need help.

OneMillionScovilles · 06/07/2017 22:06

SMART Recovery is apparently secular and evidence based - can report back after I go to my first tomorrow?

Areyoufree · 06/07/2017 22:10

AA isn't religious. You don't have to believe in God to go there. Unfortunately, that aspect of it is poorly explained or understood. AA worked for me - and I was adamant that I would never believe in a 'higher power'. There's no harm in trying a few meetings and listening with an open mind. I'm still not religious, but have been sober now for nearly 16 years.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.