Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


to jump on here to ask - does anyone work in planning / property solicitor ?

4 replies

ginorwine · 06/07/2017 20:25

We have to make a decision about buying a property - have been posting quite a bit - apologies .
It has just occurred to me to ask above ... as we need to look at this from all angles !!!
We are possibly buying an old , non listed , temperance hall in a conservation area . Behind it is a small yard with a stone wall surrounding it . The end wall is about the height of a three storey house , being described as a private yard and a sun trap by the agent . We find out that this wall belongs to an old derelict metal work building which is closed down and for sale .
A developer put a building plan to the council to build apartments and this wall which runs across horizontally along the back of that house and a restraunt and flats . The developer agreed to try to retain the wall to 1.8 metres or if damaged put a fence there . The flats were to be 1.5 from the boundary of the house with opaque bathroom windows facing the house .
The plans were turned down on grounds of
Inadequate plan
Flood plan
Tree officer
I'm trying to weigh up how a good plan may look / predict outcome of any application
As there isn't a current application in its hard to judge but it's for sale now !

OP posts:

Biggreygoose · 06/07/2017 20:31

Sort of, but I usually work for the dark side doing the technical work for planning applications.

If a plan has gone in (even though it's been rejected) I would base my decision knowing that at some point the land will be built on.

Is the land in the local plan and/or an allocated site?

Without a plan it's hard to comment more.


VulvalHeadMistress · 06/07/2017 20:33

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ginorwine · 06/07/2017 20:47

No it's not an allocated site it's just a derelict building with huge potential ...

OP posts:

ginorwine · 06/07/2017 21:21

Also can I ask also
The demolition of the massive wall would need developer to go into our property to knock the wall down and away from our house as it is only 8 foot away from it and enter other gardens to do the same ... is this a right / normal thing to do ...

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?