Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


Do I need a letter for taking DD abroad if we have different surnames

23 replies

thegoodnameshadgone · 05/07/2017 18:45

Not aibu but posting for traffic.

My daughter had her dads name I have my maiden name. Do I need a letter of permission to take her abroad. He will have no issue at all just wondering if I do need one?

Thanks all xxx

OP posts:

Hortonlovesahoo · 05/07/2017 18:49

Yes, I'd recommend it or at least her birth or marriage certificate. We've been stopped twice in the past 6 months travelling via the tunnel and Heathrow


SavoyCabbage · 05/07/2017 18:52

I take one and I have the same surname.

They might ask your kids casual questions like 'is daddy not coming on holiday with you?' If that happens let your dc answer.


VerdeGreenVert · 05/07/2017 18:53

You don't need permission but I would take birth certificate as I don't have my mums surname and when we went on holiday they asked for my BC maybe because I look nothing like my mum


bimbobaggins · 05/07/2017 18:57

This comes up regularly on mn but I've never seen it anywhere else.
I took my ds abroad last year, seperated from his df, different name. Immigration in the other country never batted at an eyelid, the only person who commented was immigration on our return who asked him who he was traveling with


NicolasFlamel · 05/07/2017 18:57

I definitely would. I was challenged at passport control a few weeks ago as my kids have a different surname to me. Luckily their dad was behind us in the queue so it was fine but I did panic for a second!


NoLoveofMine · 05/07/2017 18:58

I have no idea but you have your surname, not your maiden name Grin


InDubiousBattle · 05/07/2017 19:01

Are you married? Hence the maiden name?


mmgirish · 05/07/2017 19:04

I would bring a copy of their birth certificate if I were you. I was stopped at Heathrow once as my children have my husband's surname and I don't.


Babypassport · 05/07/2017 19:06

Every time I go on Eurostar with my baby I have to show her birth certificate.

A family ahead of me once were very nearly stopped from travelling with the best friend of the teenage daughter and were told that they really should have a letter from her parents.

I've known people be refused at airports in a couple of countries.

So yes take a letter! Technically I think it's supposed to be witnessed by a solicitor but I'm not sure many people have the time and money to do that every time they travel!


inkydinky · 05/07/2017 19:23

I've been abroad with mine 3 times post divorce and have been asked to show birth Certs (I take copies) on return to U.K. Each time. I don't bother with a letter.


ThymeLord · 05/07/2017 19:29

My daughter went abroad in June with her step dad and my brother and his family. They were challenged on their way back into manchester and told they'd need a letter if they did it again. Bizarrely they weren't challenged leaving the country! Confused


thegoodnameshadgone · 05/07/2017 19:32

Thanks all. I will take her birth certificate. Smile

OP posts:

AdalindSchade · 05/07/2017 19:34

THe law is that you need consent from everyone with PR, married or not, surnames or not.
The reality is that you won't be asked for this but if you don't share a surname you will probably be asked for the birth certificate.


Ilovewillow · 05/07/2017 19:37

I would or take birth certificates. We have the same set up as you and we were questioned coming back from Spain last year, or rather my 8 yr Old was questioned. As it happens my husband was in the non EU Q so easily sorted. The airport official gave us a leaflet which asks you to travel with the birth certificates if your surnames are different.


Ginmakesitallok · 05/07/2017 19:41

I've flown loads with dds who have dp's surname. I've never been questioned. It's never been an issue.


seventhgonickname · 05/07/2017 19:50

When we got dds passport we had to and her birth certificate and marriage certificate.Why is this info not available to passport control,seems a bit daft that the identity you by your eyes but get no other info.


donajimena · 05/07/2017 19:54

I've been abroad 7 times with my children and have never been asked but I do plan on taking birth certificates this year.


clumsymcfallsalot · 05/07/2017 19:57

It's worth having just in case. They do stop at random due to child traffickers and parental disputes. If Surnames on docs don't match I think there's a higher chance of you being stopped.


thegoodnameshadgone · 05/07/2017 20:03

I was asked this year coming back from Cyprus. Dad knew where we were going, how long etc all fine. Jut thinking soda law for next holiday coming up. We got stopped on way in but not one on way out. Just thought surely more important on way out

OP posts:

ThorsMistress · 05/07/2017 20:22

Me, DP and DS all have different surnames. When we travelled abroad I took his birth certificate with no problems Smile


Brittbugs80 · 05/07/2017 20:38

We have 3 different surnames on our passports. We were fine, didn't get stopped and DH walked through with our child and wasn't questioned. I did have my birth certificate and my child's birth certificate but they didn't ask for them.


SweetIcedTea · 05/07/2017 20:55

This is the official guidance people might not have been challenged etc. but it's very clear.


donajimena · 08/07/2017 05:46

I'm the only one with PR. First child was born before 2003. Second one has a blank space on his birth cert because ex was 'too busy' to register the birth with me. I'm still taking birth certificates though.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?